More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 3 by Su Do Nim Su Do Nim

Does she pick a team on the board or does Millia go talk to the receptionist?

Talk to the Receptionist

Millia strode over to the receptionist's desk. Behind it sat a demonic man. His skin was a sooty grey. His eyes were a pair of softly glowing orange irises set against black sclera. He was smartly dressed, in a button up shirt and tie. His black hair was done back with gel. His small tusks and ram horns lent him a brutal look. Along with his hulking muscle and broad shoulders, he cut quite an intimidating figure. All of this though, was offset by the way the desk and chair were clearly not designed with him in mind. His shoulder span nearly matched the width of the desk, and even standing in front of him, Millia could tell from his posture that the office chair he rested on was more like a stool for him. His desk plate read Rogmellol Vokuren, Receptionist.

"Pardon me," Millia opened, "are those all of the available teams today?"

Rogmellol looked at her then to the posters where she pointed. He did not have a good angle from where he sat, and so he leaned forward and craned to get a peek.

"Bah," he sighed, "looks like Engo didn't finish with the posters before finishing his shift." He rose from his seat and looked back to Millia. "Apologies, ma'am. I'll fetch the others. Just one moment." With that, the demon disappeared into a back room. He returned with a small stack of posters of identical size to the ones on the board. Rogmellol made small talk as he mounted the listings. "There's a lot of rotation when it comes to these teams. Some slots open and close in the same day. Heck, the same hour. I guess the last receptionist was in the middle of updating the board when his shift ended and he got distracted. I've been trying to convince management to invest in an electronic display, or even a magical one, but they always bring up something about conduit layout or enchantment stability."

"Common openings you say?" Millia gulped. "Those, uh... wouldn't be for the reason I think, would they?"

Rogmellol paused as he puzzled out what the demihuman was implying. "Oh, well, some of them, yes. Adventuring is a risky job, everyone knows that. Some do die. But most of the time it's one of countless other reasons. Someone retires or quits, someone goes on leave, a newbie doesn't make the cut, and the slot is open again. I have a niece that once lost her spot when she broke her leg on a job and they gave her spot away while she recovered. I don't know why some of them pull their ads the moment someone applies. You'd think they'd learn after the fifty-eighth time."

"Right," Millia a chuckle. She was only slightly reassured to know that some adventurers retire.

Rogmellol finished mounting the posters and returned to his undersized seat. "Let me know if you need anything else. If you see one you like, you can contact them from our video chat rooms over there." The demon pointed to a row of doors.

"Thank you very much," Millia said. She then turned to the team posters, studying them.

Do Any of the New Teams Pique Millia's Interest?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)