More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by derekcolson derekcolson

You have 2 choices:

Talk to the Dorm Leader about the situation.

Making Your Point with the DL

You make your way to the Dorm Leader's room and knock on the door. He answers and welcomes you in. You take a seat and decline when he offers you a coke. Finally, with the pleasantries out of the way, you ready to start in on making your request, but before you can start he speak first.

"I bet I know why you are here Dan. I told you there was nothing I could do about getting you a private room. I only have power over so much."

"I know." You say with a slight sigh in your voice. "But I was hoping I could at least talk to you about options. You know, the kinds of things you could do."

"There really isn't that much I can do, but what do you have in mind?"

"Well, I know that there are often students who don't show up for their stay in the dorms, for one reason or another. Perhaps they found housing elsewhere or they dropped out at the last minute. The reasons don't really bother me, but if one of these people were made my roommate it would be the same as if I had no roommate, right?"

The DL smiles. "I wish it worked that way. Unfortunately there are more people looking for rooms that we have rooms right now. So if one of these people fails to show we have to offer their space to one of these people on the waiting list. So no matter what you are going to have a roommate, it's just a matter of selection. Until the semester starts none of the spots are locked."

"Selection?" You ask. "You mean you have the files of everyone who is going to be assigned and choose where they go? Like to find the best possible matches?"

"That's right." He says with a smile and nod. "I have spent most of my so called free time the last few weeks going over profiles and doing just that. Not an easy task, but I try and do my best."

"So do you know who my roommate is going to be?"

"Not exactly. I have it narrowed down to three possibilities, but I don't like to make my final decisions until I meet them. Much less chance for mistakes to slip through that way."

"Is there any chance I could get a look at those profiles and pick my own roommate?"

"Nope, I am afraid not. They are private files and only the authorized staff members are allowed to see them. You are just going to have to trust me that I have chosen well."

You look downtrodden for a moment before he continues. "Trust me that I have chosen carefully and if my first choice pans out you will be pleased with the selection."

You aren't sure what to make of this, but his words haven't exactly comforted you at all. On one hand you want more say in the situation, but on the other he seems rather firm in his position. You could trust that he will do the best he can for you or you could push your point and make him give you what you want.

How do you react?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)