More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2

Before we get into the action: Who ARE you?

Some Background (For Writers)

Let me just state at the outset that there is only ONE rule for this story that is an absolute, with ANYTHING else that is not against the T.O.U. feel free to add it and I will read it over and probably approve it.

That ONE iron clad rule is this: NO descriptions of . If the story absolutely calls for it it MUST happen 'off camera'. All described sex in the story MUST be 100% Consensual.

Do note that if you can work out a situation where there is realistically consensual , that is fine, I have no problems with it, but as always, informed consent is the key.

Now for those who want more info about the setting and premise, read on.

Setting:

History of the City of 'Millennium':

At the beginning of the second Millennium A.D. magic returned to the world, but it was not the old magic of Merlin, Circe, Solomon, and Abe no Seimei: it was a new magic, a young magic, wild and untamed: and as it always does when it returns to the world after an absence it took the form of MODERN mythology and folklore: in the case of most of the world being that of the silver screen and the nascent internet. For MUCH of the world, but especially the U.S.A., this meant those gifted with supernatural powers became 'Supers', the heroes and villains of the four color comics brought somewhat inexactly to life!

That summer a spaceship from a far flung interstellar republic not wholly unlike the 'Federation' of Star Trek crashed in the middle of an abandoned tourist attraction outside Lebanon, Kansas, thrown off course by Earth's renewed magical field and when a group of Supers braved the radioactive wreckage and saved the survivors they learned that it was a cargo ship carrying 'building supplies' for a new colony world. Those supplies proved to be canisters of 'industrial nano-paste' and transponder chips to control them, which a few incautious locals turned on a few dozen of by accident and paid the ultimate price.

By the time the aliens and supers got the mass of 'gray goo' under control it had engulfed all of Lebanon and a good third of the two adjacent counties, which when the inserted transponders were done and the lions share of the goo fused into it's final forms had created a massive city, complete with subways, sewers, power lines, hyper advanced factories, housing units, warehouses, grocery stores, office buildings, theaters, an opera house, an international airport, and connections to the local road system.

Nature abhors a vacuum, so of course people moved in! And since it was about the only place in the world where you could launch a blast capable of blowing a hole through a Sherman tank at a villain and NOT have it take out an entire building if you MISS a lot of supers did too.

Welcome to Millennium City: 'Supers' Capitol of the World.

Institutions of the City:

The following is a terse listing of all the established institutions of the city, such as newspapers, TV stations, community centers, schools, and so forth. As the amount of content about them grows larger it will be moved to a sub page, and then if necessary individual SUB-sub-pages.

"The Millennium Star": is one of the city's two major newspapers, though it mostly operates as an online publication, with subscribers getting access to online content via links published in the paper and an account that grants them entrance.

"CBS Broadcasting Network: Station KNFQ": This station is the local CBS affiliate, and it's slant tends towards Liberal and Pro-Supers, though it is a lot more subtle than FOX's Conservative and Anti-Supers slant. It is run by the 55 year old Affiliate Executive Maximus Jonathan Grieves, who, before he went into telecommunications 30 years ago, worked in a comic book store.

"Millennium Police Department": 'The Boys in Blue', 'The Thin Blue Line', 'Millennium's Finest', and a dozen more such, not entirely deserved, epithets. Led by Police Commissioner Harvey F. Smalls, one of a shrinking number of 'honest' cops on the , the Millennium Police are mired in corruption and a code that is starting to bear a striking resemblance to 'Omurta'...

Politics and Policies of the USA:

This section outlines the current political situation of the USA and it's policies and organizations that impact the story. As always feel free to take what is written here with a small MINE of salt, in 'your' version of the city things might be very different.

"Meta-Human Mobilization Department": The MHMD's stated purpose is to reduce the chance 'supers' will turn to crime as a means of supporting themselves by hooking them up with jobs and job training which complement's their talents. Everyone who develops super powers is 'supposed' to register with the MHMD, but many don't, afraid of persecution or criminals learning their secret identities and coming after family and friends. It is not actually illegal to not register, but police and other government agencies are instructed to 'encourage' Supers to register, to the point that it verges on 'harassment'.

"Vigilante-ism": Since 'Supers' started appearing on June 15th 2001A.D. federal, state, and local governments have broken into two diametrically opposed camps on the subject of 'Vigilantes' and the role of 'supers' in stopping crime, partially along party lines. By-and-Large, there are many exceptions, Democrats favor altering the law to allow 'costumed crusaders' to serve as an informal adjunct to the police and other emergency services, expanding upon provisions such as 'Citizens Arrest', 'Stand Your Ground', and 'Good Samaritan' laws, while Republicans endorse the opposite, favoring stricter standards for what counts as 'Vigilante' activity along with harsher punishments for it. The federal government remains deadlocked on the issue, as do many state legislatures including Nebraska, leaving these decisions a local matter much of the time. I leave it up to the authors of individual character's stories weather 'Millennium' leans towards allowing or forbidding 'Costumed Crusaders', though for myself I will take the stance that they restrict such activity.

"Vigilance Committees": Related to the above, in those places where 'Super Heroes' like from the old comic books are encouraged, especially the state of Nevada, there sometimes is a special class of group to which supers must belong to engage in these active crime stopping activities without censure, the 'Vigilance Committee'. Drawing on the constitutional principle that state and local authorities will maintain 'Organized and well regulated Militias' local governments assemble the supers into so called 'Vigilance Committees' who receive basic training in the procedures required for 'citizen's arrests' and so forth and whom are supposed to also serve as 'their brother's keeper' policing each other for turning to crime. The constitutional legality of 'Vigilance Committees' has yet to be tested by the Supreme Court.

Premise:

The basic idea of the story is you are a super hero or villain, having super powers and dealing with the emotional, psychological, and spiritual as well as physical problems that go along with it.

Of course this being CHYOA there will be a ton of SEX as well, because, underneath their costumes they are still human, (At least most of them.) and humans are a sexual species.

There are a lot of other Supers in the city, who can be allies, adversaries, romantic interests, romantic rivals, or simply part of the scenery, such as watching one of the other characters fly past in while you are chasing a bad guy.

Feel free to add your own characters to the mix, who all should start off on the main page with their own story line, but don't be surprised or offended if I or other authors add to it and/or appropriate the character to play a role in their own character's tale somehow.

Each 'string' of threads is it's own continuity, though they take place in the same base setting they can be imagined to be ever splitting 'alternate realities' to each other, and the portrayal of each hero or villain can be imagined different ways in even different branches of the same story.

Other Rules:

These are a few additional rules that I have come up with over the length of the story's existence: do note that none of them are absolutes, they are just things I have worked out as general guidelines, for writing threads that I will be willing to approve...

1: Make it Legible:

I freely admit to not having the best spelling and grammar of any person in the world: but, all that means is that if I can't make clear sense of a thread, I'm fairly sure no one else can either! If you don't have a firm enough grasp of basic English to write an intelligible thread I probably will not approve it, even if I can suss out your meaning and think I could edit it to make it legible, because I don't want to have to do that for every post you write. If English is not your first language and you are not 100% confident in your command of it, try finding someone who is to proof read your posts before you submit them, it will save everyone time and aggravation. I may approve threads with minor errors that are easy to correct, at least a few times, but will leave notes that the authors are expected to read and act on. That said, anything where I have trouble following the plot and/or action will most likely be rejected, as I have already had to do at least once: thus this rule.


That's enough from me for now, if you have a suggestion leave it in the comments.

Which Sub-Page would you like to view? (Leave suggestions in the comments, no threads branching off this one except by the author will be approved.)

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)