More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by GivenUpOnTrying GivenUpOnTrying

What does the plan say?

Science

Great, the one lesson I have with my sister.

You'd think me and my sister would get along with the whole twin thing, that she'd weather the same that I do, just goes to show you how life isn't fair. You see, my sister's smart, like, real smart, like going to become a doctor or a scientist or a CEO smart, and I don't just mean book smart, she uses it. You want an A*? You work with Rouge, you want advice with how to deal with an argument with your BFFs? You ask Rouge, you want you homework done? Guess what? Rouge does 3 copies of hers and only submits the best one, the other two go for whatever she wants. She's wicked smart, super personable, endlessly diligent, and can you imagine having that as your sibling?

Is it irony that the Nerd gets idolised and the plain Jane get the bullying? Probably not, but I wouldn't put it past Rouge to figure out how it would be.

I sigh to myself and put away the timetable, not like there's a subject I'd prefer to be in, pretty much all of them are their own versions of Hell. Attendance ends and I trundle by myself to the Science lab, you might find it odd that no one's spoken to me, honestly, I'm just surprised it hasn't started already, I suppose I've got to at least give them until Break before I start declaring world peace.

I arrive at class and take my seat, guess where? I like the corner, out of sight, out of mind, out of the line of fire.

"Pair up!" Declares Ms Harrett, our Science teacher. No, sadly this isn't your cougar scenario, Hacksaw Harrett's an 65-year-old battleaxe, she's not so much strict as she is a detention camp in human form. "One Person grab a burner, the other, grab the beakers, and I'll come round with your Magnesium!"

I've done this song and dance before, I don't even bother to stand up at this point, the room flocks to each other, a crowd forms around Rouge, and I become so much wallpaper until the teacher notices and inflicts me on another pair. I suppose there's always the chance she'll say "Work with me", but I know Harrett, she'd rather toss a spare pupil out the window than actually have a conversation with them. So now I wait. Doesn't usually take long.

"Scarlet!"

Quicker than usual this time. I look up from my desk to see Harrett staring down her nose at me. Yep, that's right, it's my fault my reputation is radioactive. Blame it on me, because I didn't get the Beaker for my imaginary partner, this isn't my first rodeo.

"Seeing as you're on your own, you can take Elise here, she doesn't know where the equipment is, so you can be her guide." the uninterested tone of Ms Harret rumbled. Only at this point do I notice the girl next to her, and wow, do I notice. She's about an inch taller than me, her skin is almost as white as mine, but unlike mine it's flawless, her hair is onyx black, and pinned back on one side, and her bright blue eyes seem to glow, though that could be various burners reflecting in them.

"Right, yes, erm, yeah, I'll show her the ropes!" I stammer, Harrett doesn't even wait for me to finish before walking back to her desk to retrieve the Magnesium, she's either ruthlessly efficient, or she got hurt bad, I think to myself.

"Merci, my name is Elise, and you are?" The artist rendering of pure perfection asks. Her accent was clearly French but it was very clear, she'd obviously had some practice, that being said every word made my heart skip a beat, is this a prank? This doesn't make sense, this person shouldn't be talking to me. That being said, given how the rest of the school treats me it's possible she won't ever again, so I suppose I'd best enjoy it.

"Er, Scarlet, my name is Scarlet" I eventually get out after too long of a pause. Wait, now this pause is too long, I need more words. "Beakers are over there, Burners are in that cupboard under there!" I almost yell, gesturing wildly, maybe more word, less volume would be the ideal?

"Excellent, I'll get the beakers! she smiles and heads off on her mission.

Get it together, your homosexuality is hanging out, I think to myself as I grab the burner. I mean, one pretty girl speaks to you, and fall apart? Maybe I should be bullied. We reconvene at my desk and don our protective equipment, observation could take a while, maybe I should ask-

"So, is everyone usually like that to you?" a serene French lullaby asks me. May not have been a lullaby, but it felt like one. "They all just ignored you? Seems cruel."

"Cruel? I guess, I'm used to it, just normal for me, they decided when we were kids that I was the outcast, decided being red-headed was enough of a reason, I don't care, better off being left alone." I ramble, damn, that makes me sound like a real depressing sort, I should make a joke. "Still, could be worse, I could be beloved by everyone and destined for future greatness, that'd be the worst."

Elise smiles, visibly confused, until she looks towards Rouge and the penny drops.

"Your sister?" she inquires, "But doesn't she have red hair too?"

"Like I said, it's an excuse, there's no real reason for them to single me out."

The beauty frowns, as if trying to understand a foreign language, which she may well be trying to do, I really assumed a lot about her English skills.

"Well I like your hair!" She announces triumphantly. "It's even fore fiery than this Burner!" she adds, I've heard that joke a few times, would you believe, but it's the first time I've heard it without malice. I'll take it, it's an oasis in the desert that is my social life. Experiment done, we begin to pack away, I learned a lot about Elise, apparently her dad is some kind of ambassador, moved between the UK and France a lot, so she's grown up with both languages, maybe my assumptions aren't all awful.

It was a double lesson so now it's time for the question of the day. How's Break gonna go?

How's break gonna go?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)