More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by DunkerPlank DunkerPlank

Where do I go?

School

I don’t even remember making it to school. I gruffly returned Alex’s greeting and didn’t talk to him much before class. I ignored all his questions and just sat through the morning classes in a daze. On the last period before lunch, during Mr. Anderson’s lecture he kept sending concerned glances at me. He really was a good friend.

I didn’t even listen to the class as my dad’s words ran through my head over and over. Thinking back, I don’t remember ever feeling loved in that house. There was not a single memory I had when all of us just sat together and chatted happily like a normal family. I always convinced myself that I wasn’t an outsider, that I was where I belonged. That now almost made me laugh. Who was I kidding? I was a fool to think that I would be a part of that family, to be loved like little Dannie was, who, despite everything was the only one who acted normal around me; not quite like a brother, but not so indifferent either.

Above all that, what I was most worried was my future. What was I going to do? Work at some retail store and hope I save enough to pay for college? How long would that take?

I didn’t even notice Mr. Anderson until he tapped my shoulder and I glanced up at him glaring at me.

“I asked you a question John.”

I gulped. “Uhh... Don’t mind me Mr. Anderson. Please continue with the class.”

To my absolute shock, he just nodded, walked back to the front of the class and continued with his lecture. I gaped as he ignored me and rattled on. More than a few students looked at me strangely. Mr. Anderson was a very strict teacher. He never tolerated students slacking off in class, no matter the reason. Him forgiving a student for not listening in class was completely unheard of. Was this the work of my power? Did he forgive me just because I told him to? Come to think of it, the conversation with my dad in the morning itself was very strange. It only escalated very quickly only because I told him to answer all my questions honestly.

Before I could ponder any more the bell rang. Students started shuffling out and Alex was immediately at my side. I really was touched by his concern.

“I’ll tell you what happened man. Just grab lunch and wait for me okay,” I said and he reluctantly nodded.

“Make it quick John. You’re really worrying me.”

I shot him a grateful smile as he walked out of class and approached Mr. Anderson who was just about to head out.

“Yes John? What can I do for you?”

Should I test out my power again? How? I didn’t want to try anything outrageous and end up in detention if it backfired.

“You forgot to give me those twenty dollars which you promised me,” I said quickly. It was complete bullshit of course but if it didn’t work the worst I would get was a confused teacher refusing me. I felt the power in the back of my head.

Mr. Anderson blinked a couple of time and unbelievably, reached for his wallet. “I’m terribly sorry about that,” he said and handed me a twenty dollar bill. “Anything else?”

I slowly shook my head and stared at the money in my hand. Holy shit, this was real. I could actually control minds. What else could I do? So far, I healed my body and was able to control two people’s minds. That alone was a frightening power. I didn’t even think about why this was happening. I was just too stunned to care.

Alex caught me with the same expression as I sat down with him for lunch.

“You’re finally gonna tell me what’s going on,” he asked as I sat opposite him on the table.

His question brought back memories of the morning and whatever feelings I had at the revelation of my powers disappeared.

“My dad decided cut me off,” I told him sorely.

“Huh? What do you mean?”

“He’s not gonna pay for my college.”

Alex sat back with wide eyes, looking almost as shocked as I had been. “What the hell? Really?”

I nodded in confirmation. “Apparently my stepmom doesn’t want him spending money on me.”

“Wow. That’s messed up man.”

I smiled sadly. “Wanna know the best part? He admitted that he doesn’t love me.”

“What the fuck dude?” Alex gasped and leaned forward, unsurely squeezing my hand to comfort me. “He really said that?”

“Yeah. The only reason he took me in after my mom died was because he didn’t want people to know he’s a shitty dad.”

Alex was silent for a few moments and quietly processed what I said. “That’s... that’s so fucked up I don’t even know what to say. I can’t even imagine what you’re feeling right now.”

I signed and ran a hand through my hair. “I was angry at first but now? I’m not really surprised to be honest. We never really had a great relationship to begin with. I’m actually more worried about not going to college.” It was true. Most of my frustration and tears actually stemmed from the fact that I won’t get to live the life I wanted to.

“What are you talking about? You’ve still got that scholarship going for you.”

“Yeah I don’t even know if I got it though. I haven’t received any word from them after we applied. Did you get any message?”

Alex nodded. “Yeah. It was in the mail this morning. Mine was approved.”

That was news to me. Alex and I decided to apply to the same college and both of us applied for scholarship. If he received his reply then I must have got mine as well. I didn’t really stop to check the mail on my way out of the house; I was kind of too pissed off.

“How much did you get?”

“About eighty percent of the total fee.”

I sighed. “And I bet that’s because of your place in the basketball team.” Alex and I had been on the same team before my accident. He was actually great player. If he got eighty percent then the best I could hope for was about sixty.

“Listen man. My folks would be happy to pay the rest of your fee. We’re pretty rich and-“

“Absolutely not,” I denied quickly. As kind as Alex and his parents were this was too much to ask of them. “This is my dad’s responsibility not theirs.”

Alex nodded slowly. ”If you’re sure.”

“Thank you though,” I said with a warm smile. “That’s really nice of you. I couldn’t ask for a better friend.” That was completely true. He had always been there for me since childhood. We had so many memories together and he was my best friend. He was actually the one who organised my birthday party two days ago.

“Hi Alex.” I heard a familiar voice say and felt someone bump me on my side and sit next to me. “Hey doofus.”

I laughed and turned to greet the girl next to me. “Hi Alicia. Welcome back.”

Alicia was a close friend of ours who moved into the city right after my mom died. Although she wasn’t as close to me as Alex, the three of us were still great friends.

“The two of you finally decided to bang,” she asked playfully, eyeing Alex’s hand on mine. “I knew it was only a matter of time.”

I laughed and squeezed his hand, playing along. “Alex just asked me to be his prom date and I agreed,” I joked. Thankfully, my power didn’t take hold. As great of a guy Alex was, neither of us were gay. Thankfully, it didn’t happen which I somehow instinctively knew. It automatically knew when meant what I said and when I didn’t. That was good. I didn’t want people taking me literally every time I said a joke.

“Fuck you,” Alex spat. He was completely red from embarrassment. “You gonna tell her?”

I sighed and told Alicia about the events of the morning. She reacted pretty much the same way Alex did. There were hardly any secrets between us and I felt completely comfortable telling her about what happened with my dad.

“I’m so sorry John. We’re always here for you if you need anything.”

“Enough about that. How was your trip with your family,” I asked. I was getting tired of feeling sappy and just wanted to forget about it. Alicia immediately brightened up and began telling us about her trip.

“... so all in all, it was pretty awesome. Oh uh, sorry I missed your birthday John. I didn’t get you a gift.”

“Don’t worry about it,” I said waving her off. Grinning mischievously, I joked, “I wouldn’t mind a kiss though.”

I wasn’t really thinking about it when I said it and was surprised when she leaned forward to give me a quick kiss on the lips. When she pulled back, she gave me the same mischievous grin and I swallowed. Out of the corner of my eye I noticed Alex gaping at us.

“There’s nothing unusual about Alicia kissing me Alex,” I said quickly. I barely felt the power take hold. I was getting used to ignoring it. The shock quickly disappeared from his face and he snorted.

“Of course there isn’t. On to other things. You two got a date for prom yet?”

Oh shit. I had honestly forgotten about that. I was actually hoping to ask this hot girl from my class but yesterday I learned that she already had a date. So that was out of the question.

“No,” Alicia groaned. “The only thing bad about my trip was its timing. I don’t even know who I’m gonna ask and prom is two days away.”

Make her your date?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)