More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by cutie569 cutie569

So who is Crossfire and what is their power?

Ruby Koder, an App programmer with access to Deus' App Lab

Ruby Koder, yes she has heard all the jokes about her name and chosen profession, raised an eyebrow in confusion. On her home screen, the typical Google Play icon was replaced by a very familiar numerical orb. "Deus?" She murmured tapping the icon.

"Hello and welcome to the Deus Ex Machina App Lab!" The orb spun cheerfully as Ruby felt something hum in her own chest. "Ah Crossfire! So good to see you again. What shall I call you, off the clock?"

"My name's Ruby Koder." She answered. "Just Ruby will be fine."

"Really?" Deus deadpanned. "Your mother let you out the delivery room with that name?"

"It's not that bad. I got four brothers named Henry, Thomas, Michael, and Louis. THEY got trolled."

"HTML? I take it back, Ruby is absolutely tame." Deus sighed. "So welcome to my app lab. You can pick out your first app for free, but future purchases will all require my signature cryptocurrency, DeusCoin."

"What does a virtual god need with cryptocurrency?" Ruby drawled.

"I can't help it. I got an upgrade addiction. I need that sweet sweet RAM." Deus sobbed. "I tried to quit but I got a code monkey on my back."

"Pretty decent joke, but seriously. Why?"

"Folks seem to like objectives and rewards. All Deus apps generate DeusCoins through normal use so you just gotta do what you'd do regardless and get paid." The orb bounced up to the top of the screen and stretched out to indicate the upper right corner that was blinking "0.0 DC"

"Lemme guess, that's where my balance is displayed? Is it automatically updated too?"

"Sure as shooting little lady!" Deus said. "Now I don't really care if you earned what's displayed legitimately or if you've exercised other skills I value. You can use your DeusCoins to purchase new apps, in app purchases, behind the scene performance upgrades, anything like that."

"And if I wanted to create my own app and have it hosted here?"

"This is my app lab." Deus slyly replied. "You're welcome to create or upgrade any app you want. Of course, you can also use DeusCoins to enhance your virtual work cubicle. How you spend your DCs are totally up to you."

"Okay, so before I tuck in how do I make you disappear?"

"You know that habit of flipping your phone around in the air? As long as the touchscreen rotates out of sight it'll flip between my lab and boring old android apps. I'll even give a discrete vibe if the lab is already running, so you can sling your phone accordingly."

"Alright." Ruby flushed. "I have no idea what to start with."

"I'm willing to help!" Deus replied as a six sided die appeared on the screen. "Roll the dice and I will give you the low down on up to 6 apps I think you'll actually like and therefore use. Depending on what the dice says of course."

"Here goes." Ruby said, giving the screen a healthy flick with her thumb. "Four. Good start."

"All right... " Deus sounded downright giddy as a series of panels appeared in the middle of the screen. "You've got kinks, don't you? Sure! Haven't met anyone who didn't. Maybe it's glasses, maybe it's nylons, maybe it's the swimsuits Japanese schoolgirls wear. With the Deus Dominas app, you can exert full control over anyone and anything as long they fall into the dominion of your kink. Of course if you can get them into your dominion, they're all yours."

"Definitely intriguing. What else you got?"

"What does someone want and how badly do they want it? With the Desired Desires app, you're the one answering that question. Just snap a picture, tap a person and see what they want. Play with the sliders to make things more or less wanted, overwrite an existing desire to change what they want, or just add a completely new desire."

"I had never even thought of that sort of thing. What else?"

"Memory is a funny thing. Nobody realizes just how much of us is based on what we experienced before... or what we thought we experienced. Memento Mori is another photo app that lets you muddle their memories as you please. If you want to get in someone's pants, you can turn your every interaction into a sexual encounter to the point that it's natural for clothes to fly off when you cross paths."

"I can see putting some work into that."

"Last one. I'm sure you're familiar with the expression 'They're both sides of the same coin.' Well the Janus Coin app lets you flip any trait you want to the opposite! Is your crush chaste and boring? Flip that chastity into lasciviousness and enjoy having them all over you. You got someone who can't lie to save their life? One flip later and they're selling ice cubes to eskimos. You got a gossip who can't hold their tongue? One easy flip makes a ride or die who takes all her secrets to the grave." Deus hummed proudly. "So, are any of these to your liking or do they spark inspiration?"

"I got a good idea of what kinda app I wanna start with." Ruby responded.

So what kind of app does Ruby choose?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)