More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by TheRandomSN TheRandomSN

Left path or right path?

Right path

Jen veered to her right, hoping that less people would mean that she could make better time, even on a less direct route. She felt that if she took the left path and had to stop two or three times, there was no guarantee that she wouldn’t be stuck there for several minutes. Someone jogging or riding a bike straight past was the most likely thing she might encounter but those weren’t the only people who frequented the park. Some kids deciding that the trail was a good spot for an impromptu game of tag could make for a serious delay.

The right path remained deserted and Jen walked quickly. She held her hands in front of her, ready to cover body and dive off the path into the trees if anyone came by. This part of the park was quiet, the occasional animal noises coming through the trees was all she could hear. Jen reasoned it was likely she would hear anyone coming by foot or bike and allow her time to hide off the path before they could see her- the path had some twists in it so there wasn’t an exceptionally long line of sight anywhere and Jen wasn’t making as much noise being barefoot as someone wearing shoes would make. However this was still only a theory and nothing she’d had to test yet.

She made her way around a light bend in the path and still saw no one. She decided to try to make up some additional time lost from taking this path and settled into a light jog. Using her hands to press her breasts against her chest so they wouldn’t bounce too much, she sped up into what she felt was a pace she could keep up for a fair distance.

She didn’t make it far before she grasped the flaw in her plan. Her bare feet quickly began complaining, the rough cement lightly scraping the skin with each stride. She slowed back down. A mild sense of defeat settled in. She’d presumed this might be the only chance she would have to move so quickly and wanted to take advantage of it. That hope was stymied with the realization that she would end up with very scuffed feet.

Reaching and passing around another arc in the trail, Jen still encountered no one. A buzzing sound started to grow as she moved ahead. Looking up in the trees on her left she saw several large bee hives in the upper branches. The bees she’d heard about. They seemed to be paying her no attention at all. Regardless she drifted to the opposite side of the path just in case.

Soon the insect hum was receding behind her. It had been over a year since she had taken this route but she knew she must be nearing the end of this part of the trail. Sure enough, as she turned another curve in the path she saw a three-way intersection ahead, the path she was on forking left and right. Had she wanted to go straight she would be entering trees, stepping off of cement and making her way through land that wasn’t kept up by anyone. Staying on the cement was preferable. Going through the woods meant not only would she be slowed by weaving around trees, but she would take her chances stepping on a rock or fallen branch that might cut her foot. She was expecting to have to hide in the trees at some point, likely at several times before reaching her clothes, but being able to travel quickly was a priority where she could do so safely.

After several yards Jen realized that she might not be saved by the sound of someone approaching now that she was coming upon the intersection. If someone out for a jog came onto the path she would be in immediate view. Even if someone went past the intersection there’d be nothing to stop them from looking straight at her. She decided she’d made good enough time that she shouldn’t press her luck. She stepped left off the path and into the tree line.

Immediately she questioned if this might not be a mistake. Watching her step slowed her pace a bit, but she began zigzagging around the trees and knew this was going to delay her.

Look, she told herself, this was inevitable at some point. This is a popular park, you should consider it a big stroke of luck that you made it this far. Someone’s bound to come through this trail sooner or later. We can still get where we’re going. Don’t start getting impatient now, there’s still a long walk ahead of you.

She heeded her own advice and began getting used to the new mode of travel. Quickly scan the ground, pick a place to set her foot, take the step, look to the right to make sure she’s not easily visible from the trail, and repeat.

Jen neared the intersection and began to hear voices somewhere ahead. She began to take extra care not to make any unnecessary noise and kept moving forwards. As the sound grew louder she began to slow down slightly, not wanting to move too quick and chance exposing herself to whoever was ahead.

She began to be able to see through the trees ahead of her as she ventured on. To her left, further away from the neighboring trail, she could tell the trees were starting to thin out. Up ahead, where there was forestry across from the trails ending, the trees ended abruptly a distance to the left and became a clearing, with maintained grass and a few bushes. Jen shortly discovered the source of the voices she’d been hearing. In the clearing were about ten people, some sitting on blankets and eating, a few playing an impromptu game of football.

She crept closer and took cover behind a wide tree. She knew that the main trail through the park, and the most direct route back to the parking lot, was to her left. She could stay in the woods and head that direction, but the thinning trees didn’t give her the strongest hope for staying unseen. She looked the other direction and saw the path running right of the intersection started to curve to the north. The trees there were thicker and she felt much safer about staying hidden if she went that way. She didn’t recall ever going that direction in the park before and wasn’t certain where the trail would lead. It could take her further away from the main path and cost her time.

Well I can’t wait here until these people leave, she thought. Take my chances or play it safe?

Should Jen press her luck?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)