More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by obieblu_tumblr obieblu_tumblr

What's next?

Rely on magic to foil the .

“Gentlemen, gentlemen,” you raise your lute innocently, your other hand is open showing you have no weapons. “There's no need for such unpleasantness.”

“Good,” the fake-injured man, perhaps the leader replies to you. “Then surrender and drop any weapons and coin you have.” There is an assortment of grunts of agreement from the other bandits.

“But good sir, how long has it been since you and your fine men have heard a quality tune?” You strum your lute once, casting a spell of Enthrallment. All who hear your music will have their thoughts numbed and their desires increased. It can sometimes be tricky to enact the exact response you want from someone who doesn't already desire what you want them to.

Your first chord barely starts to fade, and everyone around is looking at you with relaxing expressions. Kheden, already very familiar with with your spell, has pulled out a clod of soft wax and is working pieces of it into his ears to lessen the effect.

You look to Talvin, “Good Talvin, why don't you sing us a tune of homecoming?” You direct his softening mind to something you know he must want, to be safe at home away from all this danger. Talvin nods, mildly dazed, but he understands. You strum your lute again, and Talvin begins singing an innocent travelers tune about looking forward to a warm home and a good meal. You pick it up easily and urge your horse forward as you continue your playing.

Talvin falls in stride next to you, and the bandits begin to follow him, having been focused on obtaining him when your spell began. You set a pace the bandits can keep up with on foot. You and Talvin lead, with Kheden bringing up the rear, keeping an eye out for anyone falling out of Enthrallment. It's only about half an hour until Havensport comes into view. Talvin's voice has started to fade, so you join in singing and repeating the song he's been singing.

Kheden catches your eye as he passes you, indicating he's going ahead. He pats one of his shortswords, and you understand he'll look for some sort of military or authority to deal with the bandits. When Kheden reaches the town gates, you're close enough to see him speaking with the guard there, pointing back at your odd group.

The guard disappears into the town at a run. Your hope for a suitable welcome is answered when you arrive as the town guard, you guess, rushes out in full armor carrying shackles as well as their weapons. You nod to them as the surround your group, though you keep playing and singing. They quickly shackle all the bandits and chain them together in two groups.

You finally stop playing and crack your fingers, “We'll come round to see your captain for our reward. Good luck with this lot.” The bandits are coming out of their reverie, puzzling over their shackles, and some are already starting to panic.

Talvin also shakes off the spell, but he's more curious than anxious. “We're home?”

You and Kheden chuckle. “Almost, why don't you show us the way.” Talvin nods, still a little puzzled, but you explain on the short ride to his father's mansion.

What's next?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)