More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by LunaCee LunaCee

In other words, pick a gender.

Princess

The snow fell softly outside the castle, blanketing the still world outside in pure white. The sparkle of the crystals was always so entrancing to her, able to keep her attention for hours. Everything was so still outside, the typically busy streets of the city beyond the outer walls completely empty. That was the only thing she really did not like. The goings on of the bustling marketplace along the river always entranced her. It was such a different pace from that of life in the castle.

Every day seemed to move in slow motion, monotonous and routine. Lessons on politics, dancing, etiquette, geography, history... Even balls and holy day celebrations felt muted and dull. She used to enjoy them before she turned eighteen. Back then, she was able to join in the crowds, to see all of the different kinds of people who would attend the Royal Family's events. Now that she was of age, every event was spent meeting potential suitors, princes and lords who did not care about her as a person. Men who only desired her hand in marriage. All of them were in the double digits of the lines to their own thrones.

She was the only remaining child of Hisan. Her sister had disappeared-- or, so her parents had told her when it happened years ago. She knew the truth now: the elder princess had killed herself after the knight she had fallen in love with fell in battle. One of her brothers had died in a freak accident while out riding one afternoon. Another had fallen to a miserable disease. The last had died mysteriously; she always suspected he had been poisoned.

That left her. Princess Amir. Heir to the throne of Hisan.

What a life that was. Nothing interesting ever happened. No one interesting ever approached her. All of her suitors tried to impress her with nearly identical stories of hunts, wars, "acts of charity," or feats of "bravery"-- more than one had claimed to be slayers of great beasts, from dragons to chimeras. It was increasingly difficult for her to fight the urge to roll her eyes at each of their pitiful to ridiculous tales. Maybe if she only heard them on rare occasion, she would be impressed, intrigued. However, constantly hearing the same words in the same droning tones of someone reciting something well rehearsed took the edge away.

A soft knock came on her chamber door.

"Come in," she called, her voice distant. The door opened, one of her ladies-in-waiting entering with a quick curtsy.

"Your Highness," she began quietly. "If you are ready to depart, your escort has arrived."

Ooh! Something is actually happening!?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)