More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 3 by Bagel Ninja Bagel Ninja

Part one:

Princess Merwin's early life

(In most plays, this part of the story is left out from it entirely. We have most of the information included in it from comments by abbot John VII of Subiaco, deceased may 1120, or more likely one of the ammanuenses under him, included in footnotes of a Bible - today heavily studied)

Princess Merwin of France, daughter of mighty king Dagobert, was born a century prior to the battle of Tours¹. She spent most of her early life the way proper to any princess, hunting and learning the old languages. Her mother died in childbirth, while her father was assassinated when she was young² - most of her life she spent with nurses and caretakers plucked from the army.
When Merwin struck twelve years old, she was bethroted by the new king, her brother Clovis⁴ , to a young nobleman, Sigmund of Faramund³'s house, who'd distinguished himself in battle prior. Just four years afterwards, it was time for the marriage. However, resolving to free herself of the incumbence, she fled the castle the night before it was due for her to marry.⁵

Angered by this, king Clovis ordered that she be chased and returned to order, sending after her the most valiant knights in the kingdom. Egbert, the fair; Gunthar, the disciplined; Lothar, the strategist; ⁶ and Sigmund, the implacable and the victorious.

¹ Which would be around 630-632 a.D.
² This would confirm her father's identity as Dagobert I, king of France between 629 and 639 - it is plausible that Merwin could've been sired by him with one of the several concubines sources of the time report.

³ Faramund, Sigmund's noble ancestor, is often identified with the legendary king of the Franks. For this and other reasons, Sigmund being an historical figure is still debated between today's scholars
⁴ Commonly identified with Dagobert I's successor, Clovis II of Neustria.
⁵ Followers of the theory that the Valiant and the Unlucky's story is based on true events base on this the claim that princess Merwin's memory was simply cancelled from the kingdom's documents, as such a dishonorable action for the time would warrant that. Scholars of the opposite theory back themselves up on it saying that there's no trace of this event or a similar one taking place at the time.
We know these names from abbot John's footnotes, but they never surface again in any of the versions of the Valiant that have reached us. Scholars assume that they were replaced in later works with the characters of Eustere, Gometrude and Clothilda, the female warriors Merwin faces later in the poem. The male names were kept here only for the sake of historical accuracy to the original source material.
So are the footnotes like free game or what (From Steve's Iphone)

The search for Merwin - Prelude 1

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)