More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by 11kestrels 11kestrels

Who will you follow?

Onyx

It was my first trip ever to Ultra City. I was to perform at the Ultra City Academy of Performing Arts, along with the rest of my ballet troupe. For once I found myself very excited about the performance I was asked to give. You see, Ultra City had become the new world hub of art and culture, and the performing arts were no different. To be invited there was the pinnacle of every would be ballerina's career. I know, because I too felt the same way.

But Ultra City, as I have said, is the hub of art and culture, and many valuable ancient artifacts. They have a museum there that stands second to none. Not only do they have a huge catalog of modern art on display, but they also have many interesting pieces and artifacts from ancient cultures on display. Well, like the Kerwood Derby, for example. The Kerwood Derby is a golden hat once worn by the ancient Kings of Kerwood instead of a crown. Crowns were considered way too common place by the Kerwood royalty, which is why they wanted something different. So they hired a wizard by the name of Arthur Winklestaff to come up with something completely different. Arthur took an old hat, and transformed it into something very special. The brim was beset with gems of all kinds, and the front of the hat was embossed with the Kerwood coat of arms. But being made out of gold and encrusted with jewels is not exactly what makes the Kerwood Derby so valuable. You see, it is imbued with the magic of Arthur Winklestaff, who gave it a mind of its own. The Derby itself had the authority to choose the next king of Kerwood. If the hat didn't fit, they weren't made King. It was as simple as that.

That, my dear friends, is the artifact I have in mind to steal. What thief wouldn't want to own such a powerful artifact as the Kerwood Derby? And what if the Derby fits me? Would I become a Queen? I wanted to find out.

My troupe and I arrived in Ultra City a week before our scheduled performance. This would give me enough time to "case the joint" as we thieves often say. I took note of security cameras and their locations. I looked for tell tale signs of laser alarms, and their locations. I had had finally determined after three days of casing the joint that it would be easiest coming in from the roof than it would be to break into the museum from any other entrance. All the entrances were too well protected. The only vulnerability I could find was a skylight. That I could open very easily with the right tools, then descend through it with my antigrav boots. I could even hover above all the laser alarms as I made my way through the museum to capture my prize.

The timing of the heist would be critical. I decided to pull this little job the same night right after my performance. After all, most of Ultra City would still be returning home from my performance, which would mean traffic jams that would probably hinder the UCPD from answering any hidden silent alarm I might trip by accident. I knew it was a good plan, and that it was mostly fool proof. Well, except for one factor, of course. That factor would turn out to be a relatively unknown superheroine by the name of Liberty Girl. What was I going to do about her?

(Author's note: No derbies were stolen during the writing of this chapter. No one by the name of Winklestaff was poked fun at. Tune in for next chapter when we might read Onyx say "I'm the Queen of Kerwood!" Until then, happy reading!)

What happens next?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)