More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by tailteller tailteller

Where do we begin?

Novaxan Society

Novaxans respect their elders. In Earth terms they typically live for around 120 years, reaching adulthood at 26, and are intensely curious creatures. Few Novaxans, however, are capable of truly unique thoughts. Their society is mostly built around improving what already is, and the major shifts and changes occur rarely when a Novaxan capable of truly creative thought comes about.

Their civilization relies heavily on learning machines to understand the world, helmets that inject Adenosine directly into their brains through their nodes before flooding their senses with learning materials. Inside their steel buildings, meant to mimic their home world, they each have a small room with a tank of water. Outside, they don't often have much to do. They have a few word games, but mostly converse amongst each other. This is because they evacuated their world in an emergency, without the time to consider entertainment. This became largely the reason for the placement program, which is a highly sought after and selective voluntary system. The Nova that are chosen to be allowed into the world are selected by their pod Alpha, and most end up with nicknames that sound somewhat similar in different Earth languages to the names spoken by the respective Novaxan in their own tongue.

The only semblance of fun most Novaxans know is machinery, engineering, and other mechanical, mathematical, or science based activities. They excel in at least one of these areas, most choosing to specialize in specific areas of study such as engineering design, chemistry, biology, physics, architecture, or other more specific areas. They don't tend to find much fun in these things though, unless given the rare moments in which they can exercise these skills as they desire.

In the human world, many Novaxans have been told to refrain from learning another language. Most end up disobeying this rule, though they keep it secret from their alpha. To do so, they typically have to learn it directly from their host humans, or find a way to learn on human technology, and it can take several weeks or even months, depending on the language, to be able to converse properly with their host families, which can range from two people fulfilling a need to care for something, to an entire family welcoming the Novaxans to live alongside humans. The placement program chooses the host family based on a system similar to the foster system, allowing the local pod Alpha to select a Nova, and under special circumstances up to two Nova, to live with the human family granted clearance.

After certain events in America unfolded, the placement program began doing weekly check-ins to ensure the Novaxans we're being treated fairly. Some governments allow the pod Alpha to check in alone, others require the Alpha along with a Placement Program representative.

What's next?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)