More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by RedeemerofDark RedeemerofDark

Who found the device?

Nina, a volunteer at the local Soup Kitchen

Nina Walker was a nineteen year old college student, who would come to work at the local Soup Kitchen on the weekends, for a while her and her family were in the red and had to rely on such things just to make it to the next day healthily. It was only through sheer luck that her dad was finally able to get to a good place and get a job that would pay well enough for them to get a rather tiny house to live in together, and not long after with a few promotions they were able to live in a decently sized comfortable living space. Nina was more then well aware that such luck could not happen to everyone though, and her parents agreed, they supported her desire to help those less fortunate then them who had suffered as they had and still did, and would come to help her whenever they didn't have to work and had the energy to. Nina had always felt frustrated though, at her age her hormones made her emotional and caught between different feelings, hopes and ideas, particularly besides just trying to do her best in her ridiculously hard classes she also wished their was simply more she could do to help those in need.

It wasn't fair?! Why couldn't their be more good to go around?! Why were so many of who they helped people who had defended their country with their lives? This was the thanks they got?! It was a deep frustration and something she couldn't stand but she had to accept it, that's what everyone told her, that their was simply so much you could do at any given time. And that focusing on it wouldn't make it just magically dissapear, she understood but still it bothered her so deeply she vowed that at the first sight of a way to further help those in need she'd be their! Which was why she was between two minds about the career she was going to try and go into. She had been debating between becoming some kinda medical professional like maybe a doctor or perhaps going into something that more directly helped people but in a less physical way like talking to people about their problems or giving them what they need in terms of medicine like a psychologist or a physiologist.

She was making her way back home one day after having helped at the local Soup kitchen from the second she got out of school. When she spotted a strange device in a patch of grass beside one of the houses that was up for sale. She immediately picked it up, an instinct she had taken on in her less fortunate days on the street much to her parents chagrin. After all their wasn't even a name on it, and the people who picked up their stuff or the people who came much later to remove what they had left had already gotten everything so the device couldn't possibly belong to them. As she put it on her back she waved to some people as she went home, sure some gave her funny looks but a lot of them gave her funny looks when she was out on the streets to and she hardly cared what they though, they weren't all rude though, she saw some familiar faces who had similar strokes of luck to her family give a friendly wave and a warm smile. Others who were related to those people giving the same, it was one of the things that kept her going after all, seeing all of the people she and her family had helped or the people who were given the motivation to keep going thanks to their diligent actions.

She arrived home, her mom Fionna Walker making dinner and her dad Joseph Walker working on something in his workshop, he had been trying to think of a patent for something people would need whilst working at his job, hoping they could not only have things even easier but have more then enough money to be able to further help the Soup Kitchens or donate to causes to help yet more people. She always would catch a brief glimpse of his tired eyes every night before she was entirely asleep, she wished she could just give him the thing he needed so that he wouldn't have to work so hard. She however respected his dedication and made sure to give encouragement at every available opportunity. She told mom she wasn't hungry to which her mother nodded that wasn't a surprising thing for her to state, somehow even with how hard she worked she wouldn't eat nearly as much as she really should, another thing she had picked up from their less fortunate days. Her mother had worked alongside her though and knew that it wasn't a matter of Nina starving herself, she just hadn't a very big stomach and liked to eat the minimal amount possible if it meant it would save them money. "Don't stay up to late!" her mother would call without looking away from what would apparently be her dad's dinner. "You know I won't!" Nina responded back as she made it into her bedroom and closed the door behind her before taking the device off and setting it on her bed, sitting down to recover the energy lugging the machine had costed her to take it home with her.

Time to test the mystery machine?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)