More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by 11kestrels 11kestrels

Who does Penelope see when she turns around?

Mr. Simmonds

Penelope turned around to see the tall, lanky, black janitor, Mr, Simmonds standing there with his cleaning supply cart in tow.

"Sorry" he said. "I didn't mean to startle you like that. But you are a very pretty girl. And let me tell you something, teeth aren't what makes a person beautiful. We all have our little imperfections, including those people who pick on you." He smiled at her. "See? I got horse teeth, too." He laughed, causing Penelope to laugh as well.

"Thank you, Mr. Simmonds" she said in all sincerity. "You're a good man."

"Well that's what my wife tells me any way" he chuckled. "But if she saw me standing here talking to you like this, I'd probably get the third degree for it, and more than the book thrown at me."

"I guess I better get out of here, and let you do your job" Penelope said as she picked up her belongings.

"I'm in no hurry, sweetheart" he said as he pulled the cart through the door to allow Penelope to get by. "When you hurry too fast, you always have a nasty habit of missing something."

Penelope walked up to Mr. Simmonds, and opened her arms. "Don't mind a hug, do you?"

He smiled and embraced the girl. "I've never turned one down yet. Especially from such a pretty young lady. Now don't you take no crap offa nobody. And if they give you crap, you come and see me. I'll take care of it for you. I promise."

It was surprising how the old janitor could turn her day around with just a few words, and a big hug. "Thank you. You just made my day" she smiled.

"And you just made my day" he said, smiling back at her.

Penelope walked out of the ladies room feeling much better about herself than she ever did before. She found herself wishing there were something nice she could do for Mr. Simmonds. But she didn't know him that well, and she didn't know exactly what he might like. All she knew for certain was she felt great about life in general again, and she owed it all to him. He was like a guardian angel to her. He was right there when she needed someone, just like a guardian angel should be.

Little did Penelope know she wasn't too far off the mark where Mr. Simmonds was concerned. He was a guardian of sorts, a soul who was bound to haunt the halls of the college and its dormitories forever. He would watch over the broken hearted, help the helpless, and defend the defenseless. Penelope was to become his latest assignment, and those who picked on her would become his next victims.

What happens next?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)