More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by depravedDays depravedDays

Whose story do you follow?

Morgan Alastor - Assassin

“Mog, don’t make this harder than it has to be,” Rupert said.

“It’s all for the good of the guild,” says Garett.

“Now hand over the Cube,” said Sonya.

Morgan Alastor found himself backed against the ruins’ wall. He studied his three guildmates with curiosity.

Rupert had drawn his two handed sword. Rupert was a level 15 fighter several months ago. Given the time that had passed since then and Rupert’s level of activity in the guild, Morgan thinks it would be fair to peg Rupert at level 16.

Garett the Rogue’s level was tricky to pinpoint, but Morgan didn’t think it would’ve exceeded Rupert’s. Garett had drawn his twin daggers and his eyes were already combing Morgan’s stance for weaknesses.

Sonya the ranger had pulled back her bow and was aiming an arrow straight at Morgan’s chest. Morgan had no clue about her level. She had kept the information pretty discreet.

“What are the three of you going on about?” Morgan replied, “Rupert’s got the cube in his pack. You all know that,” Morgan said.

“I’m not talking about the white cube,” Garett replied, “You know what we’re talking about. Hand over the black cube.”

“The black cube’s mine,” Morgan replied, “You were there when we split the loot from the last dungeon raid. You guys got yours, and I got the black cube.”

“Yeah,” said Rupert, “But that was because no one had any idea what it was. We all thought it was just some old ornament.”

“Regardless, since when are we doing takesies-backsies? Loot division is final,” Morgan said.

“Since we discovered you’ve jumped 3 levels in a week,” said Sonya.

“Come on Morgan,” Garett said, “You can’t be hogging something like that to yourself. Think about how much good it will do the guild. We can all share it. We’ll take turns with it and raise our levels quickly together.”

“It should become guild property,” Sonya said, “Just like the white cube that we’ve obtained.”

“You mean the white cube that I’ve led you to,” Morgan said, “You wouldn’t have found it if it wasn’t for me.”

“Not the point, boy,” Rupert said, “Come now, just surrender the black cube quietly and we’ll be back at the tavern, laughing over this little incident over warm mead.”

Morgan cocked his head sideways. “You idiots actually think the cube raises levels?”

“Does it not?” Garett asked, “All we know is it turned out to be some artifact and you were real excited about it. Next thing we know, you’ve suddenly reached level 15.”

“No one raises their levels that fast,” Rupert growled, it takes several months of grinding to gain a level.”

Morgan chuckled, “That’s odd. I believe the only person that I mentioned the black cube and my recent levels to, was Edan.”

“And Edan told us,” Sonya said.

“Did he order you to do this?” Morgan asked.

“He only has the guild’s best interest in heart,” Garett said, “The guild is everything to him. You should know that. You’re his childhood friend.”

Morgan took a deep breath, shook his head and sighed. “The cube doesn’t raise levels, you fools.”

“Oh really?” Garett asked, “Then how about you enlighten us on what it DOES do?”

“This…” Morgan replied.

There was a sharp twang of bowstring. Garett’s head snapped to one side and his body spun around before he collapsed into the ground. A white-feathered arrow could be seen sticking out from the side of his skull.

Morgan whistled. “Critical hit,” he muttered under his breath.

Sonya discovered that her arrow wasn’t in her hand anymore and she looked down at Garett in horror.

“Sonya! What did you do?!” Rupert screamed.

“I… I… I don’t…”

There was a mighty swoosh and Sonya’s head went flying against the ruins’ wall. The rest of her body remained standing for a second or two before dropping to the floor like a sack of potatoes.

Rupert stood there above the two bodies of his guildmates for several seconds, clutching his bloodied two-handed sword high. After several seconds he glanced down at Sonya’s headless body and screamed.

“Well, would you look at that,” Morgan said, “I just leveled up again.”

“You!” Rupert cried, “You did this?!”

“Yeah, with this,” Morgan said as he raised an upturned hand.

A black cube quickly materialized above Morgan’s hand. It had strange runes and symbols carved on each of its sides and was rotating and spinning in random directions.

Rupert grunted and heaved, trying to get at Morgan, but his body wouldn’t move. “Release me you demon!” Rupert cried.

“Hand me the white cube, will you?” Morgan said.

“Yeah, sure,” Rupert mumbled as he unslung his backpack and quickly retrieved an object which had been carefully wrapped in linen. He then marched over to Morgan and handed it to him.

“Thanks,” Morgan said as he proceeded to unwrap the white cube. Meanwhile, the black cube remained hovering over his shoulder.

“What the?!” Rupert exclaimed, “How did you do that?”

“You’re kind of slow witted aren’t you Rupert?” Morgan said as he studied the magical circle etchings on each of the white cube’s six surfaces.

“I’ll kill you, you bastard! You will pay for this!”

“Tell me the truth, Rupert. What were Edan’s exact orders?” Morgan asked.

Rupert’s face immediately assumed an impassive expression. “Edan told us to get the black cube from you dead or alive.”

“Why?”

“He told us it was for the good of the guild.”

“Huh. He says that line a lot to me as well, particularly when he needs someone out of the picture,” Morgan replied. “Why is he suddenly interested in the cubes?”

“Edan thinks it would help increase the levels of the guild members after hearing of your progress.”

Morgan chuckled, “I see. Sheesh, I had no idea catching up with you guys would upset the pot so much.”

Morgan found the secret activation rune on the white cube. He pressed it and the markings on the cube glowed with white light. He then let go of the cube and it started levitating. The white cube then proceeded to orbit around his head.

Morgan snapped his fingers and both white and black cubes seemed to collapse inwards into themselves and then vanish.

“Listen here Rupert,” Morgan said, “You’re going to be my alibi. Forget everything that happened on this expedition. As far as you’re concerned, here is what actually happened. Garett and Sonya were both killed by the ruins’ spiders when we stumbled upon their nest. And the both of us just barely escaped with our lives, alright?”

“Yes…” Rupert replied.

“And one last thing,” Morgan said, “Forget about the cubes. Forget they ever existed.”

What lies in store next for Morgan Alastor?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)