More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by Xenolan Xenolan

What shall you do?

Meet Queen Alayna's party at the city gate

"The Queen is not so foolish as to attack our city now, of all times," Duncan says to you as you proceed out of the heart of the city and along the road which leads to the Mountain Gate. "Elyssia is filled to the brim with our closest allies, all of whom would stand by you as if they were your own generals. If she intended conquest, she might have come at any time in the past five years and found us more ."

"What do you know of her, Duncan?" you ask. "Aside from rumors and stories, which we have all heard aplenty."

"Little of which I could be certain," Duncan admits. "She has never lost a battle, even though she takes on foes who outnumber her five to one - ten to one, if some stories may be believed. She rides at the vanguard and wears little in the way of armor -"

"She rides without adornment of any kind!" says General Ferdinand, who rides at your left side. "Into the heart of battle she goes, naked except for her boots and her own hair! A magical spell protects her, a spell of beauty which strikes at the heart of any man who draws too near, so that they cannot bear to raise a weapon against her!"

"The King asked for facts, not stories fit for the taverns," Duncan frowns (he and the General have never really gotten along). "But, I must acknowledge that if this is a rumor, it is a persistent one. Certainly, she fights without helmet or plate mail, and as her chosen weapon is the great sword, she carries no shield. Since she still lives, there is something formidable that protects her in battle - though I suspect it is the valor and skill of her personal guard, not magical spells."

"What of her skill as a battle commander?" you ask Ferdinand.

"Unmatched, my liege," Ferdinand says, more serious now that you have asked for his advice as a general. "No one is more cunning in battle; she has no favorite strategies, no pattern except that she always takes a personal part in the fray. She seems to study her enemies in advance to learn where they are . She defeated the Warlord Velimir by using catapults to fire coins into the ranks of footsoldiers, knowing that he tends to hire mercenaries who love their gold more than their commander. Of course, most dropped their weapons and scrambled for the treasure, and even those who kept their heads found themselves unable to move or fight amidst the chaos. Her own cavalry rode right through them, and Velimir's mounted warriors were unprepared for the battle to come to them so quickly and with such unchecked strength. To a man, they broke and retreated. It has been called 'the Battle without Blood' and I would dismiss it as rumor had I not seen the aftermath with my own eyes - a well-trampled field, with the flag of the Warrior Queen fluttering high above, but not a single corpse to be seen."

"And unless I miss my guess," Duncan says, "there flies the Queen's banner now."

You look up ahead, past the Mountain Gate, and see several rows of tents several hundred yards beyond it. The three tents in the middle are larger and red in color, and the flag of the Queen flutters above the center tent - a golden sword with a halo on a field of white, with a long red taper trailing behind. Your men at the gate see you approach, and at your signal the gates are opened.

Two of Queen Alayna's guards meet you at the edge of her encampment, a man and a woman.

Duncan raises his hand in greeting. "His Majesty King Xavier, First of that Name, Ruler of Elyssia and defender of its people, bids welcome to Queen Alayna, whom we know as the Warrior Queen, the Unbloodied and Undefeated."

"We are honored that the King of Elyssia comes to greet our Queen in person," the woman says. "I am Theresa, second general of Queen Alayna's armies. With me is Sir Calloway, the Captain of the Queensguard."

"I am Duncan, First Advisor of the King's Council, and this is General Ferdinand de la Vega. Also accompanying us this morning is Lady Trina of the Kingsguard,” he says, and you can tell he is uncomfortable introducing her, not only because Duncan has never really approved of your having a woman on the Kingsguard, but because the guards are usually not introduced at all; however, you had commanded that Trina accompany you and that she be formally presented. Duncan continues without missing a beat, “We would speak with your Queen. Our General offers a sheathed blade to Queen Alayna, as a gesture of peace."

At a nod from you, Ferdinand dismounts and withdraws a sword and scabbard from his saddle, offering it to Theresa. You’re pleased to see that he shows none of the discomfort that Duncan did, treating Theresa with the same regard as he would a man in her place.

General Theresa dismounts as well. "Our custom is to offer our own battle-flag, folded and tied, so that you may know it will not be unfurled against your city or your people."

The exchange is made, and you come down from your horse as Sir Calloway does the same. Stable hands rush up to take the horses' reins, and you give your stallion Steelheart the signal which indicates that he may allow himself to be led away. You feel a measure of relief. Although the exact rituals vary, only one without a shred of honor would make war after a peace offering is exchanged; and whatever else is said of the Warrior Queen, none question her honor. Whatever her mission is here, it is not one of blood.

"The Queen is ready for you now," Sir Calloway says. "Please, allow us to escort you to her tent."

And then...

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)