More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by 280tcove 280tcove

Who finds the remote?

Matt Anderson, a college student going nowhere in life [Story Complete]

Step... step... step...

I feel like that's the only thing I can hear at this point. Just the sound of my own footsteps echoing off the sidewalk and directly into my mind. It's driving me crazy. I look around as I keep walking, only to see the streets and buildings around me are completely empty as the last bits of sunlight start to fade past the horizon. If it weren't for the streetlights, I could never hope to find my way to the bus stop at this point.

I don't think I've ever been on campus this late. Sure, I haven't been going to North Ridge University for that long, but still, I wouldn't have expected to ever be out this late. I suppose I can thank Dr. Powell for that. No one else would make a paper that big due this early in the semester. Whatever. I'm done now, so it's best to put it out of my mind.

Just as I finish that thought, I realize that I've made it to the bus stop. As I sit down on the small bench, I listen to see if I can hear the bus. Now that I'm sitting down, I realize just how much my footsteps were cutting through the silence. Aside from the light buzz of the streetlights, I can't hear a thing. That probably means I've got a while to wait before the next bus arrives. I throw off my bookbag and settle in for a possibly very long wait.

While I'm waiting, I check my phone again, but I don't see anything new. I told my mom that I had just left the library and was heading home. Apparently they already finished dinner a little bit ago. Thankfully, my mom assured me she would reheat some for me so it was ready once I got there. That's at least one thing to look forward to.

As I put my phone away, I start to reflect on my current life. I went to school without any idea what I wanted to do and it seems more and more like I don't have much time left to decide. Now here I am, feeling like I'm going nowhere fast. And while I'm not your stereotypical introverted reclusive, I'm not exactly the social butterfly that some people here are. I'm honestly lucky to have the few friends I have given what a mundane life I lead. I'm not particular strong or smart, and while I do think I look decently attractive, I'm not exactly a head-turner. In short, I'm about as average and uninteresting as they come.

I mindlessly stare across the street as I continue to think to myself. After a brief moment, my eyes focus slightly and I realize that the building across the street from the bus stop still has its lights on. Who stays open this late? I try to get a good look at what exactly the store is and my best guess is that it's some sort of old antique shop.

"Huh. I don't think I've ever noticed this place before. Has it always been there?"

The shop has an odd energy. I can't see much of what's inside, but something about it is... calling to me.

Do you go inside the store?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)