More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by leroy leroy

What is your symbol?

Major and Minor Nations

Major powers:

United Colonies of America: The United Colonies were forged in the fire of the Second American Civil War. In the fifth year of the conflict, the soldiers had had enough of killing their former neighbors and friends. On a day known throughout the colonies as Unity Day. Two armies refused to fight. This revolt spread like wildfire throughout the states and ended with the military in control of the government of now reunified country. Five years later. They stepped down and gave power back to the people.

In order to prevent a bloody split from happening again, major reforms were enacted. The states were renamed colonies to return to the countries roots. Said colonies had greater independence as long as they followed the central tenets. Establish Justice. Insure Domestic Tranquility. Provide for the common defense. Promote the General Welfare and finally ensure the blessings of liberty for themselves and their posterity. To prevent tyranny there is a part of the new founding document. Any colony that wishes to leave gets one free attempt at secession every hundred years. To date. Only one colony has taken up on that offer.

The modern UCA is fairly unified but its various colonies sometimes have rather heated arguments in the Colonial Congress. The military is highly respected.

Interstellar Asian Authority: After China's war with India decimated both countries, the Eastern hemisphere began growing closer with bonds of trade and cooperation. Over time these bonds became strong enough for a unified Asian Government to rise. As still the most populous part of the bloc the Chinese took a leading role in forming the government though as time went on Japan and Korea rose into their own.

The government of the authority is centralized with most colony orders coming out of New Asia. All top government officials are required to have completed many years of public service, either in the military or otherwise. While there is strong nepotism in the Authority it is balanced by the general competence those in power imbue into their children. The desire not to shame one's family is a strong motivator.

The modern IAA is a fairly organized system. While some look at it and criticize the lack of democracy its a system the people are fairly happy to live under. The military is considered the ultimate way to raise one's social standing.

European Space Federation: The Federation was born out of the collapse of the European Union. After a severe banking and refugee crisis it to its knees the various countries regained their sovereignty. It was in this environment that a poor destitute Germany had a young woman come to power. A woman who spoke of a great and bright future for her country and the whole of Europe. Fearing her being a female Hitler France tried to her. When they failed she became more popular than ever. Their fears weren't entirely unfounded as she began a purge of non-Europeans(though through deportation rather than camps). It had the same effect as other leaders in Europe followed her lead. She eventually through sheer willpower and charisma created a new organization to join Europe together. A Federation.

The Government of the Federation as a whole rests in the Parliament. The chamber of the parliament is divided into two. The House of Nobility and the House of Commons. The former consists of people who have been elected by the House of Commons for lifelong appointments. Usually, they are people who have served the Federation with exceptional wisdom or courage. It is from there that the Prime Minister is drawn by popular vote of the assembly.

In the modern Federation, things are roughly the same. However, with the greatly expanded lifespans, it is more common for someone to step down from the House of Nobility than it is for them to die in office. The military is considered a noble institution.

African Directorate: A man rose in the Congo, a man with a dream. A dream of a united Africa that could stand for itself. He applied himself to that dream ruthlessly, using every method and bit of knowledge available to him to try and finally end the petty wars and strife on the continent. He first pacified his home country. Then he began spreading across the continent, uniting the people under a single banner. Tragically he was killed before he could even come close to fulfilling his dream. Assassinated by an unknown foreign power. His inspired campaign had started a fire in the people. A desire to look past age-old hatreds. In , he achieved what he couldn't in life. Corporations rose up, made of good African men and women. Heavily bolstered by the outcasts from the new European Federation these corporations quickly grew in power until they became the de-facto government of Africa. Eventually, these corporations joined together and became the Directorate.

The Directorate is run by a single person, known as the Director. They are appointed by The Council. Before the war, this council was exclusively made up of the descendants of the original corporations. In the modern era, they are the chosen representatives of their planets. How they are chosen varies wildly from planet to planet, some using elections while others use ritual combat.

The modern Directorate is a disjointed state with a hundred different agendas. Unified through shared cultural ties they are the newest of the major powers on the galactic stage. The Directorate people have wildly different views on the military depending on where they are from. Some considering it the greatest and only true passage to adulthood while others consider it a necessary evil.

Minor Nations:

Vikings: The Vikings split from the ESF after the war with the aliens. They had differences that they didn't feel could be resolved through civil means. After so long spent fighting the Federation wasn't willing to spill human blood to keep them as a part of their nation. The Vikings developed as a culture centered around raiding and raiders. Their Council of Elders is the official governing body and their Jarls are local administrators who have proven themselves strong and intelligent both on and off the battlefield.

To be a raider is a highly prestigious position and some like to say you aren't a true Viking unless you've spent time on the line and taken a . The Vikings have bad blood with the Directorate and the two skirmish often.

What's next?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)