More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by Xenolan Xenolan

What shall you do?

MEET THE CHARACTERS IN THIS STORY

(Note - if you do not see pictures, reload the page. If you are on a mobile device, the pictures may appear very small; there is a link at the bottom where you can view them larger.)

SETTING

For a good real-life model of the Kingdom of Elyssia, think of Neuschwanstein Castle in Bavaria (I'm well aware that such a castle would be a major anachronism in the 14th century, but I've decided to cheerfully ignore that fact). Elyssia itself is populated by people from lands far and wide; there are visitors and even a few citizens from the Middle East, the Orient, Africa, Scandinavia, and elsewhere.

In part because the kingdom began as a settlement of commoners without lords, the people of Elyssia enjoy more rights and a higher standard of living than is normal for the time and place. Slavery is forbidden, laws are just, and it is generally held that nobility by birth is less important than the merit one earns for oneself. As King you wield considerable power, but this is largely because you have proven a just and fair-minded ruler. In short, your crown was given to you by the will of the people, and could be taken away in the same manner should your popularity wane.

Below is a list of characters in the story, and a model upon which to base their appearance. If you wish to introduce a new character with a specific look, send me a PM and I'll include a description here. If you want pictures, I can find suitable ones or you can PM me a link to a gallery; please try to keep them from looking too modern! Baremaidens.com is a great source for images; it's a paysite, but there are free samples all over the internet.

WOMEN of ELYSSIA

-----------------------------------
Portrayed by Tanya Tate VALERIE, the King's Mistress: A bold and forthright woman, Valerie has seen over forty summers and yet retains much of the glow of her youth. She is the daughter of a courtesan to a French king, and as her mother was highly regarded, Valerie is quite comfortable with her current role (she won her position as King's Mistress by approaching the throne clad in a long cloak and opening it to reveal only herself underneath). She is only too pleased to serve the King in this manner, but has no desire to be Queen. Bisexual and adventurous in bed, she is highly skilled in the arts of lovemaking and willing to perform nearly any sexual service that may be required of her.
-----------------------------------
Portrayed by Riley Mason YVETTE, Valerie’s handmaiden: Yvette is a petite, shy French maid who takes care of Valerie’s daily needs and maintains her beauty regimen. When Valerie became your mistress, she asked that you allow her to choose her own maidservant; of course, you had no objection. Yvette’s sweet, innocent features and the wide brown eyes of a fawn make her seem too young to be a grown woman, though she passed her eighteenth year this last spring. Although you have never caught them in the act, you strongly suspect that Yvette warms Valerie’s bed when you are absent, and perhaps even makes your mistress ready for you in advance of your arrival.
-----------------------------------
Portrayed by Charlotte Stokely PIA, the silversmith's daughter: A slender blonde woman, young and fresh, with the smooth and perfect complexion of a milkmaid. There is an air of innocence about her, though she is well-traveled and knows the ways of the world better than most. She was a friend to you in your youth, and gave every indication that she would like to be more than that, but unfortunately fate intervened. Although she has known men, none have yet been able to bring her to climax; she has no idea that such a thing is possible. As such, even she doesn't realize that an insatiable desire hides within her, waiting to be awakened.
-----------------------------------
Portrayed by Tera Patrick ARETHOUSA, Proprietor of the Bathing Pools: When the bathing pools were opened, it quickly became apparent that there would be a need for someone to manage the facility, and everyone who had a voice in the matter agreed upon who among all of Elyssia was most suited for the position. Arethousa was raised among the last few followers of Aphrodite, and can trace her maternal ancestry in an unbroken line back to the first priestess of that temple in ancient Greece. When she came to Elyssia, she was the first to open a brothel, which was not well-received by all but it was undeniable that she ran it extremely well. She is a very beautiful woman, with olive skin darkened further by the Sun, raven-black hair and a large, full bosom which spends most of the time uncovered. It is common knowledge that she has reserved a covered pool for use by the patrons of her brothel, but since she does such an exemplary job at maintaining the facility, this small impropriety is generally overlooked.
-----------------------------------
Portrayed by Gianna Michaels MELISANDE, the Innkeeper: The old innkeeper died about two years after arriving in Elyssia, and so his widow Melisande took over management of the inn. It is said that the she was the "Dancing Maiden" for which the inn is named - that her late husband, once a nobleman, saw her dance and was so smitten with her that he abandoned his lands and titles so that he might dissolve his betrothal to another nobleman's daughter and marry Melisande instead. She hardly a young maiden anymore, but has had no lack of potential suitors since her husband's passing; not only because of the wealth that passed to her from the remains of her late husband's estate, but because she has been blessed with a face and figure which seems only to grow more lovely with each passing year. She is definitely a woman who knows how to fend for herself, with a wit as sharp as a honed sword - and a stout iron club for when the patrons of her bar become too drunk and disorderly.
-----------------------------------
Portrayed by Sanja Angie SANJA, the tavern wench: Sanja is definitely one of the reasons why the tavern at the Inn of the Dancing Maiden is so popular. Fair of face and wild of heart, Sanja is known to be generous with her ale and free with her body - it is rumored that she eagerly offers herself to both men and women, and stories of her promiscuity and lack of inhibition abound. Unlike most women, Sanja seems to actively encourage such tales, but in truth they may be no more than that. While it is undeniable that nearly everyone in the kingdom has seen her naked bosoms, as she frequently serves to the late-night crowd with the top of her dress pulled down, only very few claim to have actually lain with her - and those few are not renowned for speaking truthfully! She is fiercely loyal to Melisande, her employer (and perhaps her lover).
-----------------------------------
Portrayed by Sara Wynn LADY TRINA of the Kingsguard: The only woman among your personal guard, Trina earned her position by out-fighting nearly every man who faced her; only Magnus (see below) was able to defeat her in tournament. She is the only one among your guard to have actually saved your life on one occasion, which effectively silenced all those who questioned the idea of a woman on the Kingsguard. Her ferocity, stoic demeanor, and seemingly constant scowl has made most men see her as unapproachable, and it is rumored that she finds sensual comforts among other women. Lady Trina is usually chosen to command the Kingsguard when Captain Navarre is absent, and the City Watch reports to her.
-----------------------------------
Portrayed by Bree Daniels The VIXEN: "The Vixen" lives in the thick woods surrounding the most often-traveled road leading into the kingdom. Stories of her abound, but they grow fanciful with the telling; she is said to be a fairy, a wood-elf, an ancient nymph, or even a figment of the imagination. Those who encounter her (always men traveling alone) describe a young woman of magical beauty, dressed only in a dark cloak which she leaves loose and open, armed with a bow which she uses with impossible skill. Your advisors are convinced that she is merely a cunning thief, using her natural assets and simple tricks of misdirection to distract her targets while she makes off with their valuables. Although she has never killed or even drawn blood, her arrows fly with unmatched precision and strike exactly where she intends. Your guardsmen have standing orders to take her alive and unharmed if she is found, but so far she has eluded them.

WOMEN from OTHER LANDS

-----------------------------------
Portrayed by Melissa West ALAYNA, the Warrior Queen: A tall, striking, somewhat fierce-looking woman with long red hair and deep blue eyes. Sometimes called "the Unbloodied" in reference to the fact that she has never been wounded in battle, and the rumor that she remains a virgin. That she has never received so much as a scratch on the battlefield is all the more remarkable because she often rides without armor - or anything else except her sword belt, boots, and a long red cape that matches her hair. Her knights and soldiers practically worship her as a warrior goddess.
-----------------------------------
Portrayed by Haley Scott ROSALINE of Cottingham: Rosaline is a lovely woman, with dark blonde hair and sparkling eyes. She is well aware of how desirable a bride she would be, both due to her beauty and her family's power and connections; she has had numerous suitors but seems to make a game of playing them against each other. She has been wealthy, privileged, and over-indulged all her life, and while she is not inherently vain or stuck-up, her upbringing has given her a distorted view of the world. Her carefree, playful attitude frequently puts her at odds with her more disciplined and serious cousin, Sir Reginald. On her last visit to Elyssia, she sneaked into your bedchamber and spent a memorable half hour with you; you were left uncertain about whether she ever intended anything more than that.
-----------------------------------
Portrayed by Veronika Zemanova TALAITHA, the fortune teller: For the most part, the art of fortune-telling is unknown in Elyssia; the only practitioners were revealed as frauds early during the settlement of the kingdom, and few wandering Gypsies consider the arduous climb through the mountains to be worthwhile. However, the festivities surrounding the anniversary have brought several seers and mystics, and the most noteworthy of them all is Talaitha. While other fortune-tellers work their craft by rolling bones, reading tea leaves, or laying out mystical cards, Talaitha works her magic by feeling her subject's face and body; the more intimate and prolonged the contact, the more insight she is able to gain. Of course, she commands a high price for her services, but many of those who have visited her tent swear that she possesses a genuine gift of prophecy and far-sight. She is very beautiful, with wide eyes, full lips, and a generous bosom.
-----------------------------------
Portrayed by Skin Diamond JUA, Huntress of the Serengeti: The granddaughter of Bwana M'Kubwa (see below). Jua has been fascinated with other cultures all her life and is always open to new experiences; she is considered rebellious among her own people for her habit of picking up on the ways of others (though she also has respect for her own people and culture). When her grandfather announced that he would be traveling north to your Kingdom, he absolutely had to take her along, as he knew she would go anyway if he denied it. Jua is the finest staff-fighter among her people and all the tribes surrounding them; not only can she defeat nearly any human opponent, she even hunts for wild game using nothing but her staff, taking down prey which others have trouble subduing even with a spear. She finds Europeans to be exotic and therefore exciting. Her name means "sunlight" in the language of her people.
-----------------------------------
Portrayed by Sochee Mala and Sophia Santi ALUDRA and ADHARA, the Sultan's gifts: These two comely ladies are part of the harem of Subhi el-Zamani, the Sultan of Al-Mansoura, offered as gifts to the King of Elyssia. Both are dark and lovely, and have been well-trained in the art of lovemaking - but only by other women, as neither have ever lain with a man, not even the Sultan. They have lived their lives mostly in the seclusion of the Sultan's harem, and as such are naive about the ways of the world.
-----------------------------------
Portrayed by Charlie Laine KATYANA, daughter of Lord Velimir Reznik: Although quite young, Katyana is one of Velimir's most trusted lieutenants. Almost since the day she was weaned, she has been part of her father's inner circle; those among his men who objected now decorate pikes with their skulls. It is unknown why he shows such devotion to his daughter; it may be as simple as a wish to leave behind some kind of legacy. As for Katyana herself, she is undeniably ruthless and cunning, though not as bloodthirsty as her father. She may seem slim and frail, but those who underestimate her often discover their mistake via the hilt of a dagger protruding from their ribs. No man has yet dared to court her, though she has been of marriageable age for three years.
-----------------------------------
Portrayed by Yurizan Beltran YURI, a maid from a far distant land: Yuri hails from an unknown continent across the western ocean, a land so distant that most have never imagined it exists. She is the daughter of an Aztec fisherman, and came to Europe via a hurricane which blew her family's small boat across the sea. She has little problem with nudity (her native people are considerably less "prudish" than most Europeans), and she has learned that her sexuality is a tool she can use to get what she wants or needs, especially since her exotic appearance is attractive to many men (and women). What she wants most of all, like many who come to Elyssia, is to simply find a good and peaceful life. She travels with three female companions who are essentially looking for the same thing.
-----------------------------------
Portrayed by Yui Hatano KISHI, from the Land of the Rising Sun: Nakamoto Kishi is part of Kuronuma Kuma-san's party (see below). She serves as his translator, as she seems to have a great gift for tongues and can learn new languages in an astonishingly short time. As the Samurai's party arrived only a short time ago, little is known of her. (Note: in the tradition of her people, Kishi's family name is given first.)

MEN of ELYSSIA

KING Xavier, First of that name: That's you! The first chapter essentially gives your backstory. As King of Elyssia, you are in your late twenties, a little taller than average and strong from a childhood spent as a blacksmith's apprentice. You have been well-trained in horse-riding and swordsmanship, speak and read several foreign tongues, and though you have never traveled far from home your advisors have educated you about the the world around you. You are considered "A King of and for the People," and enjoy almost universal approval among your subjects (though there may be some who harbor secret jealousy and resentment that you are King when it could have easily been any of them!). At the start of the story, it will be three days until the tenth anniversary of your coronation.

DUNCAN, First Advisor (If this were Game of Thrones, Duncan would be the "Hand of the King"): A wise and elderly man, he is the one who came up with the idea of randomly selecting the new King and was pleased when you thought of the way to deliberately choose the gold coin. Duncan is skeptical and shrewd, disbelieving of sorcery and magical arts; it is he who was largely responsible for exposing the fortune-tellers and other mystics in Elyssia as frauds. He sees himself as your mentor, and wants nothing more than to groom you into the perfect King. So far, he has found your progress acceptable.

FERDINAND de la VEGA, General of the Armies: A Spaniard by birth, around fifty years old and the veteran of many battles; Ferdinand first wielded a spear in battle at the tender age of thirteen as a common footsoldier, and rose through the ranks due to his keen mind and natural charisma. Ferdinand is practical and cunning when it comes to military matters, but perhaps a bit too quick to believe in superstition. He is fascinated with battle strategy and actively enjoys the art of tactical planning, but prefers to avoid the battle itself when possible - not because of cowardice, but because he is well-acquainted with the horrors of war and would rather seek victory without bloodshed. He is nearly impossible to beat at chess and other games of strategy.

LORD BERTRAND de POMEROY, an Elyssian nobleman: Although his house originates from France, Lord Bertrand's lands were in the wine country of Italy. When war came too close to his manor, Lord Bertrand chose to flee rather than fight, bringing all the wealth and treasure he could to re-settle his household in the land which would become Elyssia. This was some fifteen years prior to your coronation. Lord Bertrand remains one of Elyssia's wealthiest and most prominent citizens, and is one of the very few who openly opposes your rule. He barely accepts you as King, having craved the position himself, and the thought of having to kneel to a commoner galls him. He is particularly opposed to the laws which promote equality among the people. While open revolt is not in his nature, he is certainly not above undermining your authority via more devious means. Most of the common folk naturally despise him, but he has some support among the wealthy and powerful.

JOHANN, the silversmith and Pia's father: Much shorter than his daughter (likely affected by dwarfism), with a long blond beard streaked with gray. His wife died in childbirth and he has never remarried, but he is utterly devoted to his daughter. He knows that you and Pia have some history, and while he is to see her married, he would certainly accept the idea of seeing her wed to a King! He is also one of the few citizens of Elyssia who treats you exactly the same as he did before you assumed the throne, since he knew you well in your youth. He is an extremely skilled silversmith; it is Johann who forged your crown, using secret techniques known only to him to treat the silver so that it remains untarnished.

RODIN, a skilled huntsman: Rodin (ro-DAN) is one of the few who stumbled upon Elyssia by accident rather than actually looking for it, having come across the valley while wandering aimlessly about Europe. He generally prefers life on the move, traveling more often than not, and in so doing has acquired great prowess at hunting and woodcraft. Elyssia's natural beauty and unexplored forests and mountains appealed to him greatly, as did the relaxed rule of its king, and so he has taken up semi-permanent residence. He has served the crown on occasion with his tracking and hunting skills, helping to find outlaws and those lost in the woods; his attempts to capture the infamous Vixen have failed so far, however. Rodin is both bold and brash in his dealings with others; he would have no qualms about standing up in front of a powerful Lord and telling him what to go do with himself, in part because he knows he could disappear into the wilderness whenever he wanted to and live quite comfortably for as long as necessary.

METHODIUS, the former blacksmith (deceased): Methodius was your old master, a highly-skilled blacksmith who trained you for twelve years before you became King. He treated you almost as a son and instilled in you the values of honesty, bravery, and respect for knowledge and hard work. A few months after you became King, his heart gave out while he slept, but not before he forged your sword: a longsword of perfect balance, with a 38-inch blade made of Damascus steel, and a hilt forged from a meteorite. Gold and silver threads wrap around the grip in a double-helix; that, and a single blue sapphire in the pommel, is the sword's only adornment. The sword has yet to be actually used in battle and has never drawn blood. The new blacksmith, Omar, is also very skilled but not quite in the same league as Methodius.

The ELYSSIAN KINGSGUARD

There are five in the Kingsguard, all sworn to lay down their lives for the King if necessary.

ETIENNE de NAVARRE, Captain of the Guard: A Frenchman, unjustly exiled by his Bishop, he later took his vengeance but had to leave his native land to escape retribution. Tall, blond-haired, and soft-spoken but with steel in his every word. A falcon rides on his shoulder and accompanies him everywhere. He is wed to a lovely woman named Michelle, and they are utterly devoted to each other; a direct threat to his beloved is perhaps the one thing which might make him question his loyalty to his King. The rest of the Kingsguard reports to him, and he answers only to the King. (Deliberately based on the Rutger Hauer character of the same name from the movie LadyHawke.)

LADY TRINA: See above.

SIR MAGNUS: A huge Scotsman, over seven feet tall and immensely strong, mostly bald on top but with a full red beard that he keeps double-braided. He is the most formidable fighter on your Kingsguard, not necessarily due to his skill (which is certainly adequate) but simply because of his great size, length of arm, and massive Claymore sword. His loud voice is also a great asset to you. Magnus seems to have a limitless capacity for drink; he could consume a barrel of ale and remain unaffected.

SIR BENEDICHT: Scandinavian by ancestry, Sir Benedicht descends from the first settlers to come to Elyssia. In part because of this, he is usually the one to bear the flagstaff when the Kingsguard gathers for ceremonial purposes. His family is wealthy and influential within Elyssia, probably the closest thing the Kingdom has to native nobility. Although it took his family some time to get used to a former blacksmith as their new King, they have become strong supporters of your rule.

MSHINDI: The most recent addition to the Kingsguard, Mshindi took the oath at the ninth anniversary celebrations. Although he is a Knight, his people believe that titles diminish one's name rather than enhancing it, and he prefers to be called only Mshindi (which means "champion" in his native language). Mshindi is one of Bwana M'Kubwa's tribe, captured by the warlord Velimir Reznik and then set free at your command when Reznik dared to bring slaves to Elyssia. Mshindi's people do not domesticate horses, and although he has learned to be a proficient rider, he prefers to trust to his own feet; like many of his people, he is an extremely fast runner and seems to have almost limitless stamina. His favorite weapon is the spear, and he prefers to use an obsidian point; brittle, but much sharper than any steel.

MEN from OTHER LANDS

SUBHI EL-ZAMANI, the Sultan of Al-Mansoura: A close ally of Elyssia, the Sultan is boisterous and quick to humor. He first visited Elyssia shortly after your coronation, having heard tales of a kingdom in the mountains, and was rather surprised to find that it actually existed; his reports of his journey made the kingdom much more widely known to the outside world. He took an immediate liking to you because you treated him as an equal, instead of either slighting him as a barbaric foreigner or falling all over yourself to appease the Great Sultan. As a coronation gift, he presented you with Steelheart, your Arabian stallion.

SIR REGINALD, DUKE of COTTINGHAM, a noble visitor from England: Pompous and a bit arrogant, he is noticeably uncomfortable with the notion that you, a former commoner, have assumed the title of King. However, since his own King (Richard III) is very keen on keeping trade open with Elyssia, Sir Reginald is a frequent visitor to your city, having put in an appearance on at least six different occasions over the past ten years. Although he is unfailingly courteous, Sir Reginald seems to take a certain pleasure in demonstrating that you are not really fit to be a King, and that someone like himself would really be more suited to the job (he does not seem to have any actual intention to trying to take your crown, he simply likes to show that he is inherently superior). His cousin Rosaline is much more playful of spirit, and as such they do not always get along. Sir Reginald is of mixed feelings about the idea of a match between you and Rosaline. On the one hand, you ARE a King; but on the other hand, he can't see you as anything but a blacksmith's apprentice who won the crown by sheer luck.

KURONUMA KUMA-SAN, a Samurai of the far east: Stoic and reserved, he follows the Bushido code to the letter. He is determined to initiate good relations with Elyssia but will tolerate no slight to his honor. His skill with a sword is extraordinary, and may be unmatched by any living man. As he only recently arrived, little is known of him.

BWANA M'KUBWA, a tribal chieftain from the Serengeti plains: Tall and thin but well-muscled. His white hair and beard reveal his age at the high side of sixty, in sharp contrast to skin so dark as to seem almost purple-tinged. Bwana M'Kubwa has been allied with Elyssia ever since you freed some of his people who were being held captive by the Warlord Velimir Reznik. It is his first visit to a European city, and he finds the culture both bizarre and entertaining. He is well-loved among his own people; although his true title is Kiongozi (Leader), they refer to him as Babu (Grandfather).

SIR CALLOWAY, Captain of Alayna's Queensguard: Sir Calloway was able to rise higher than any other man in Alayna's ranks. He is one of the few men she trusts completely, in part because he is homosexual and the Queen therefore knows that his loyalty and devotion run deeper than simple lust. He may be the only man who is permitted to occasionally question her orders. He is inherently suspicious of nature, especially when it comes to the Queen's potential suitors, since he knows that once a man succeeds in capturing her heart the Queen will be .

VELIMIR REZNIK, a dangerous warlord: Lord Velimir was once a captain for a Slavic king, but was exiled for his excessive brutality. He is a somewhat short but very powerful man, with a chest like a barrel and brawny arms, his black hair and beard streaked with flint. He wages war not to conquer lands, but for loot and plunder, and to take captives to sell as slaves. His army is always on the move and he may strike without warning. Velimir's sole point of honor is that he will not break his word once it is given, but he seldom if ever gives it. He is generous enough with his plunder that his lieutenants remain loyal; his soldiers generally follow him out of fear. He has one daughter, Katyana, who he seems intent upon raising as his heir and successor. Velimir holds a grudge against you and Elyssia because you set a number of his slaves free when he brought them into your city on a previous visit. He was certainly not invited to Elyssia's anniversary celebrations, but he may decide to put in an appearance nonetheless...


A note from the Editor: I love comments. Heck, we ALL love comments! When people comment on particular threads that they like, I am often inspired to continue writing on those threads. Just sayin'.

Another note from the Editor: I can't help but notice that there have been zero outside submissions to this story so far. I know I've woven something of a complex narrative here, with characters crossing over into different threads and backstory material which contributing authors would have no way of knowing about, but I do look forward to seeing what others would make of this tale. If you have directions you'd like to see the story go, please don't hesitate to take it there yourself!

Click below...

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)