More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by sammy123 sammy123

Who's the main character?

Keith Mann, a loner guy

This is the most typical boring day ever.

You wake up at 6 am like every morning and like every week day you quickly prepare yourself and you go to work at precisely 7:30. You have a boring desk job at a hospital where you have to enter medical data all day long in one of several national databases. You work long hours, alone. At least, it pays decently and your work is useful for both administrative and academic purposes.

The worst part of it all is that you initially loved this job. It requires extent medical knowledge to understand doctors’ lingo so it’s not like anybody could do it but at the same time, after several years, you have the feeling you have read it all. It gets so repetitive (you coded so many hemorrhoids and STDs in your life, it’s scary) and frustrating because you can’t diagnose anything or correct any error you see without asking the doctor first (and they very rarely admit they made a mistake or forgot to write something down). With time, you eventually got the feeling that what you do for a living makes you way more like a medical secretary, prepping the paperwork for the docs, than a secret Dr. House.

So, even with all that in mind, you don’t have the guts to quit. Quitting for doing what exactly? At 31 with massive school debts and no girlfriend or close family to back you up financially, you are not in a good position to pursue a new career.

"Man, I like routine in my life, but fuck, not like that." You said to nobody, because there was no one around. "It sucks and I wish I could go back in time and be serious in school. I could have been a doctor with a big family and a big house, not a loner with a boring desk job living alone in a dump."

You are not a particularly lucky or unlucky person; it’s just that you missed the few opportunities life threw at you when you were younger. A couple of stupid decisions and you were set for a life of mediocrity. You have a poor but loving family, with a sister and two loving parents that you see a couple of times a year because you don’t live in the same state.

Your high school friends all got better jobs than you and had started families several years ago too, so while you are still happy to see them, you see them only a couple of times per year at the most. It’s not a bad thing in itself because you have less and less things in common to talk about. So every year, it gets more tedious and you get invited a little less. If it wasn’t for Facebook, you would barely even know what is happening in their life nowadays.

You know it could have been far worse, but you can’t help yourself, you crave for way way more in life and if something doesn’t happen soon, you have the nagging sensation that you will go crazy or suicidal.

"Oh well, I guess I can look at the bright side about all of this. I have a steady job with a good salary. It’s more than a lot of people have."

Right after you said that, a green portal appeared out of nowhere, and a bunch of green glowing rocks flew out and landed on your face.

"WHAT THE FUCK"

One of the rocks landed directly at your eye, causing significant damage. You reeled back in pain, holding your injured eye.

It appears to be completely bruised. You probably have a black eye now.

Sigh... You just want to go back to the comforts of your small pathetic three-roomed apartment.

Yeah, a good night's sleep would be wonderful at this point.

But you suddenly remember that you can’t. Your parents and your sister are coming to see you tonight. They are in town only for two days and your mother let it slip that your sister have a “big news” to announce to you and all the family and want to do it in person (your sister also have some work-related business to do in your city and your parents wanted to see you and be there for the “big news” announcement –they are newly retired-). You have to quit job early today anyway because you need to clean your apartment.

And so you went home, covered in glowing rocks bits, tired and drained, ego and eye bruised.

You take a quick shower and clean your apartment. Then you set up your sleeping bag for tonight. Finally, you sit on your couch watching the news, waiting for your family to arrive... and you fall asleep.

BANG BANG BANG ITS THE DOOR OPEN ME

Oh geez, someone is knocking on your door. It must be your family. You are lucky that you cleaned and prepared your apartment before you crashed on your couch.

You wake up and go to the door to answer...

Who's at the door?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)