More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 3 by alienfinderx alienfinderx

What do you want to know?

Jumanji’s Original Inhabitants

* Work in Progress, will be updated the near-future*

These Characters are part of the Jumanji franchise. Which included Jumanji by Chris Van Allsburg, Jumanji (the 1995 Movie ), Jumanji the Animated Series, Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle and Jumanji: The Next Level.

Hunter Van Pelt

Hunter Van Pelt is a big game hunter who resides within the deepest darkest dimension of the cursed board game, "Jumanji". Van Pelt's portrait is carved into the top left corner of the cover of the board game, making him one of the game's main dangers.

Van Pelt is an elderly, broad shouldered and well-groomed and dressed man who wears an 18-1900s British hunter's uniform with a 10 gallon pith helmet, red/black cape and black boots. Being approximately 160 pounds, 5'11" ft tall, and sporting muttonchops facial hair belonging to the 18-1900s era. His 19th century jungle expeditionary uniform with pith helmet, cape, black boots are as much of his trademark as his hunting gun, never appearing without any of them. He also has a gold tooth, in conjunction with wearing gold rings on his fingers and have pockets full of antique Victorian coins of solid gold.

According to Van Pelt, everyone who plays "Jumanji" must live by the "Law of Jumanji" and is either to be hunted or a hunter. Van Pelt is merciless and cruel, trying at all costs to hunt his prey to the very end. Human or animal, almost everything is fair game and always makes him a present threat to everything and everyone (with the exception of the Stalker), but often seeks to kill a player character in order to complete his collection of trophies.

Van Pelt's hunting skills and tracking abilities are second to none, as he can sniff out his prey by their scent, and track their pace by observing the environment left behind them. Nevertheless, he is an honorable gentleman that lives by what he refers to as the Law of Jumanji (Hunt or be hunted) and well-spoken towards others, often saying: "Blast!" whenever something goes wrong, and can reason with people down to trading for more ammunition or a replacement firearm in exchange from antique gold coins.

His hunting lifestyle also evokes competitive natures and Van Pelt takes great pride in having driven a species to extinction or two, and treasures their remains with sentimental attachment. In spite of being honourable and well mannered, Van Pelt had shown that old habits do indeed die hard, even if the Players save his life he is ready to shoot them regardless right after, right after thanking them.

When not hunting, Van Pet dwells in a shack upon a hilltop that houses his collection of trophies and a selection of appropriate weaponry, although his frequent weapon of choice is his elephant gun. He has mounted animal and child heads in his hunting trophy collection, and the African-looking masks are probably mounted Manjis, who were ambiguously human, too. A special gem in his collection was the horn of a legendary Rhinoceros known as Juroceros, which Van Pelt hunted countless years age before the player find Jumanji and regretting not being able to take it home due to its size and he will furious to have it stolen from him. Van Pelt enjoyed a spot of tea at home while listening to relaxing opera music that was always played inside his house, while at night, Van Pelt took both his pith helmet and even his gun to bed.

As he is a vital part of the game's mechanic, Van Pelt is unkillable as he was once impaled by the horn of a Rhino trophy and didn't die, making him unable to be defeated by conventional means. If he somehow dies (although it is very difficult to do so), the victor will immediately be by the game to take his place as the hunter of Jumanji and resume his role. While Van Pelt tends to live a solitary life and most animals within Jumanji are prey to him, Van Pelt is master to a duo of ravenous black mastiffs hounds that respond to his commands by blowing on a horn. In addition to his hunting dogs, he has a monkey butler and elephant on which he ride while hunting for big prey. He also apparently once had a housekeeping maid but had shot her for undisclosed reasons.

J.H. "Trader" Slick

J.H. "Trader" Slick is the travelling and stationary merchant dealer of "Jumanji" and the head honcho of the Bazaar. The wicked merchant of Jumanji, who sells items to anyone who can meet the terms of his transactions, and has been known to sell simple tools to rare and powerful artifacts to a vast clientele.

He lives and sells his wares at a trading post located at the heart of the jungle. Slick is a fairly cunning merchant, who sales everything, always willing to get buyers the things they want at an exorbitant price and knows little moral. His Underground economy has always everything you ever dream off, but most of his prices are outrageously high. He always says his whole name when introducing himself, but his middle name changes a lot of time. If necessary, he becomes a real danger to Players, but his biggest part in Jumanji is just a sly, cunning swindler a.k.a. "Honest John Dealership".

As Trader Slick is devoted to his enterprise, even going easy on first-time customers and ensuring his store is often open at all hours unless he is travelling or imprisoned somewhere else. The main downside to Slick's items is that he will not part with anything so easily without receiving something valuable to trade. The second downside is not everything for sale is always as they seem and may end up resulting in no-one's satisfaction guaranteed but Slick's own. Slick's shop can be conveniently found by anyone intentionally; When the Stalker approached Slick to employ him for an important mission, and when various villains of "Jumanji's" community gathered to attend Slick's auction due to their common hatred for the Players. Slick, like everything else in "Jumanji", was terrified of the imposing Stalker and did whatever the grim reaper told him out of fear, but clearly tried to avoid having anything to do with him as seen when, upon approaching the Bog of Despair (where he dwells) Slick retreated to the point of cancelling his trade deal with any Players altogether.

Professor J.S. Heinrich Ibsen

Professor J.S. Heinrich Ibsen is the mad scientist of Jumanji. He invents dangerous Steampunk-like machines, which make the lives of many people in Jumanji difficult (or Human research subjects as he like to call them), but he doesn't even know why he does it. Ibsen is tasked to "work" for Jumanji, creating dangers and nightmare machines like poisoned acid-spitting frogs and battle-armored rhinos. He sends daily reports to "Jumanji" itself which broadcasts throughout the jungle.

Ibsen dresses in a scientist long coat and driver turn-of-the-century style getup, and his car, factory, and creations (apparently) all run on steampunk machinery. He wears goggles that cover his eyes, and a tall top hat whenever leaving his factory.

Ibsen disregards Jumanji's natural living animals and people as "organic trash" and adores robots as his "babies". Although he tends to build killing machines, he has no interest in killing with his own hands (or weapons) unless The Stalker tells him to.

Ibsen can make robotic duplicates for everything and everyone and is also revealed to be a robot skeleton under a human-looking exterior, Terminator-style, which begs the question of who made him in the first place. But since he appears again several times after being "killed", it may have been another duplicate that took his place the first time, since he has been known to build very convincing copies of people and animals.

Despite creating machines that can kill, Ibsen is a very polite and courteous man who will accommodate guests inside his factory, until he builds a machine that can kill in a horrible way just because that's what he does. When asked if he also built the conventional jungle animals like Hyenas and Crocodiles, he disregards them as "organic trash" and denies it. Ibsen runs on a tight schedule. At 20:00, he will always stop what he is doing and broadcast his daily report on Jumanji, even though no one seems to be listening to it. In-universe, he is actively modifying Jumanji to be this, by designing, building and adding in new bizarre, deadlier creatures to the hungry jungle.

He has CCTV recording what everyone and everything does in Jumanji and has detailed records of what everyone and everything did - and will do. He is one of the few genuine human inhabitants who, the same reason as Van Pelt and Slick, is aware of Jumanji's realm being within a game and refers to it as such, but during a power trip from stealing one of the player’s laptop and gaining even higher levels of control over Jumanji, he yells that he is now Jumanji altogether.

Ibsen lives and works in his giant factory is in a plain subjected to tidal waves. The water reaches up to the roof, but don't worry, he has a pressurized chamber to take refuge in when that happens. If he is defeated while inside his factory, the factory is guaranteed to come crashing down. It is also guaranteed to be up and running again when next play session starts, however. Out of it, Ibsen is the first enemy that has no counterpart in a typical Jungle Opera, and the first hint that there is a mechanical, off-stage side to Jumanji and a mind running it all, even though it is not Ibsen himself.

Ibsen, like everything else in Jumanji, was absolutely terrified of the imposing Stalker and did whatever he was told by the grim reaper, even working with Trader Slick and Van Pelt against their bickering to hunt and kill the Players if they threaten to destroy Jumanji.

A self-described "Master Builder", Ibsen is seemingly capable of building any machine. Although Ibsen clearly enjoys his work, he states several times that building deadly machines is just what he does and that he merely works there. He doesn't actually try to explain why he should do that or who is employing him. His creations tend to combine features from different animals and plants.

The Stalker

The Stalker is the demonic grim reaper-like villain who is the protector and "Game Over" demon of "Jumanji" and maybe the actual intelligence behind "Jumanji" or simple follows orders from greater power, as well been the most powerful inhabitant of the game.

The Stalker is a towering, skeletonial bodied supernatural being with glaring red eyes, clad in purple robes and wearing black boots similar to Van Pelt and a large caviler hat with a red plume, akin to the Walt Disney version of Captain Hook.

The Stalker is a truly wicked entity, embodying the "Jumanji" game's wicked sense of humour that can be heard in evil laughter. As the likely grim reaper and upholding the rules of the game, Stalker keeps track of what players are doing through cameras and microphones disguised as flowers, (not unlike how Ibsen collects his own data) appearing whenever "Jumanji" is threatened or the game rules have been drastically changed.

If one of the Players threatened to destroy "Jumanji", the Stalker will displayed a more furious expression in his bony face to express his determination in preventing the realm of "Jumanji" from being destroyed, whilst decreeing that the player should submit to their destinies, also dictating that the player will not destroy the game, it will instead destroy him.

Ludwig Von Richtor

Ludwig Von Richtor is an German hunter who is the rival of Hunter Van Pelt. He competes with Van Pelt in hunting games to see who is the bests hunter. He seems to developed a taste for human hunting, when he find out that Van Pelt is hunting the Player.

Ludwig Von Richtor is a tall, middle-aged German and wears a Kaiser Wilhelm-style Moustache, Pickelhaube, a long blue coat along with a neck medal and a military-grade German Mauser with a telescopic sight. He has a stitched scar on one cheek and a monocle over the other one. His medal has an Eagle style motif and uses two horse-sized, bald hunting eagles to hunt Alan after Van Pelt declines his offer of one.

As one of the few human residents in Jumanji, Von Richtor claims to have arrived "years ago", when Van Pelt was the only hunter in Jumanji, always claiming to be better than Van Pelt at everything, boasting of having driven species to extinction as much as Van Pelt, much to his exasperation. Like Van Pelt, Von Richtor lives in a well-built house, decorated with trophies of his kills and owns a large stretch of enclosed land that he specially built as sportsmanship hunting grounds to capture prey, keeping hidden levers and entrapments that only he knew about. Although not stated, he has an aristocratic demeanor and appears to be richer than Van Pelt. Von Richtor is well-spoken and even charming, especially when compared to the more villainous Van Pelt, and unlike his rival, he considers hunting children beneath him. He gives most gladly give players a tour of his house, then nonchalantly shows them where he intends to stuff their head. However, he is also a cunning liar and more than will to deceive and trick both his prey and his rival.

Aston Philips

Aston Philips is a petty, greedy adventurer of Jumanji. Ashton Phillips is a top class explorer and knows the land of Jumanji well, along with every hidden treasure. Phillips is really self-centered and proud of himself, making his catchphrase: "Ashton Philips has done it again" more self-obsessed. Devoted to his lifestyle as much as riches and fame, he considers himself the biggest and bravest explorer and thinks very little of anyone else, but he lets other people do all the effort and hard work and then he betrays them to get all fame and riches for mine self

What's next?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)