More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by ChocolateAxek ChocolateAxek

Whose story do you follow?

John Wonderworth, Hero

John woke up before sunrise, as usual, to train his body like usual. His family heavily pushes the idea that a strong body, mind, and spirit are what causes stronger classes to manifest. They John from a young age to train every morning to improve his body and master the sword and bow. The sword was for close combat in the case that he got a class suited for it while the training with the bow was so that he could fight a distance if he got a class like a magician or mage. John could’ve skipped practice today since today was a special day that everybody waited their entire lives for, Class Day. The day where people across the Kingdom of Justice had their classes chosen. Unfortunately, this day was also feared by many people in the kingdom since the class system will determine their fate for the rest of their lives. Of course, you have the people who get powerful classes like the Great Mage, Summoner, and Knight, but you could also get weak classes like Farmer, Artist, and Librarian. The worst thing about classes is that once you get one, you’re stuck with it until you die. If you happen to get the Farmer class and you want to become an adventurer, then you can still become one but none of your skills will help you survive. Not only that, but people don’t want to team up with people that aren’t going to help out their group or bring them down. While it is still possible, it’s just highly unlikely. However, it’s not just the weak classes that people worry about, it’s the fact that everyone’s class is known by the government the moment they get it, and they hate certain classes. Any class that allows for direct interference of people’s minds and emotions is deemed extremely dangerous and is taken care of on the spot. Psion’s, the demon lord, and even the tutor class are all examples of classes that the kingdom will not hesitate to destroy. John knows that people will that power in a heartbeat since he would it if he ever got it as well.

Remember, you only have one class for life, well the kingdom has come up with a way to permanently get rid of someone’s class forever and they become classless. You’d think being classless is preferable to , but some people beg to differ since they have no skills, lower stats, and less opportunity to get a job since people are more likely to hire people with classes. It makes sense since they could have the class that makes them better at the job than you. John finished his morning routine and went inside for breakfast when he saw his family sitting at the table with a huge breakfast laid across the table. Rose, Jeremy, Emerald, and his mother were already sitting down when he came in. John sat next to his sister, Rose, as he grabbed various food around the table.

“Today's the day, my son finally gets his class. I made a big breakfast to fill you up before the ceremony today.”

Jeremy smirked, “Well, I’m sure my brother will do just fine. He’s been following dad’s training regime and while it’s not scientifically proven it could’ve made a difference since the rest of us got pretty good classes.”

“Please get an archer class and support me from behind. I don’t think I can handle Emerald looking out for me anymore” Rose said as she turned her head away from Emerald.

Emerald scoffed, “If you weren’t always rushing in, then I wouldn’t need to support you as much.”

“Speculating on what’s his class is will just lead to more stress. Why don’t we talk about your last mission, Jeremy?”

“The military was doing a mission to eliminate some demon spies that were trying to infiltrate the country. What sucks was that they had a rare shapeshifter class and almost assassinated Spring, the Ice Mage. I do tremble at the thought that they could potentially already have someone that infiltrated the kingdom.”

Rose asked, “What makes a shapeshifter so dangerous? Wouldn’t it be easy to catch someone if they’re not acting like themselves or they can’t do the things they usually do?”

“It would be easy if it was simple illusion magic since the class appears the same, but the class shapeshifter is dangerous because they copy everything about a person. Their looks, class, and abilities are all copied from the person. Normally, it would be easier to see someone acting unusual if you know them but what if before you copied that person you watched them and learned their habits. It would be much harder to tell especially if it's someone who mostly keeps to themselves like Spring.”

“Sounds too powerful, aren’t there any weaknesses?” asked Rose.

“There are some weaknesses, you have to directly touch what you’re changing into with the shapeshifter class. You also don’t copy all their stats depending on what level shapeshifter you are. Lower levels it’s less than 10% but it could potentially increase up to 100% if you’re on a high enough level, but the shapeshifter that I faced was not on that level. You should brush up on some of this knowledge, sis.”

Rose pouted as she continued eating her food.

“Why Spring though?” John asked since Spring got her class last year and isn’t in a high position in the kingdom.

“That’s confidential information, I’m sorry” Jeremy shoots me an apologetic look as he continues eating.

“Why do you believe that there is a spy among us already?” Emerald asked while sipping some tea.

“The been some evidence to indicate that this shapeshifter has been here for a month before making their move, but we have no idea how or where they sneaked into the kingdom.”

John finished up his food and said, “Thanks for all the information, I’ll start getting ready for the ceremony. Don’t want to be late after all.”

John took a shower, got dressed, and headed to the ceremony grounds. Class Day takes place at the end of the school year so after everyone gets their class, they are free to do whatever they want.

A couple of hours later…

John was currently off stage watching as his classmates took turns touching the orb of classes. It’s a perfectly round purple sphere that oozes magical energy. It was connected to a bunch of wires that were connected to a computer which I’m assuming the kingdom uses to register everyone’s power. While the person on the computer could tell what everyone's class was, no one else knew. You could guess if they received a good class or not based on their expression. Despite everything he said about classes, people are entitled to their privacy in regard to their stats and skills but the knowledge of skills that goes with each class is mostly well known anyway so it doesn’t matter much. John did notice that one person went pale as nearby knights came by and took him away. One by one people went up until it was now his turn. John placed his hand onto the orb as his vision turned white and he heard a deep voice.

“I like you. Take my power.”

John's vision quickly recovered as he stared at the screen in front of him.

John Wonderworth (Lv. 1 Hero)

HP: 250/250

Mana: 100/100

Strength: 50

Dexterity: 40

Constitution: 30

Intelligence: 45

Wisdom: 40

Charisma: 30

Skill points and pathways available to use

John was shocked that he got the legendary Hero class and also slightly upset because he knows what’s in store for him. People are automatically drafted into the military if they have certain classes. Hero was one of them because they are extremely rare and powerful. John’s stats on the other hand were really good considering that the average person starts off with stats around 20. John guessed that training his whole life has some perks after all. Before he could process his new class and what it has to offer a couple of knights surrounded him. Unlike the other guy, they respectfully led me to a nearby building where he met with a beautiful half-elf with short brown hair who seemed to have a high position in the kingdom. She looked up from her clipboard and examined me.

“Mr. Wonderworth, since you have the legendary hero class you have in the matter but to be drafted in the military. It would be unreasonable for the country to have you guard key strategic locations when you are level one but know that you may be to in the future. For now, I need you to keep your class a secret from other people. We can’t have your life ending before you get a chance to grow. We’ll be assigning your ID with the class Great Knight since the Hero class is very powerful. People will still feel jealous, and our enemies will be alarmed but won’t designate you as a kill-at-all-cost threat. Also, when I tell you not to tell anyone I mean everyone including your family. Regarding your military position, the country will be assigning you to Squad 13. If there are any other promising entries into the , then they will also be joining your team. You are dismissed.”

John walked out of the room and headed home knowing that his life took a direction that he wasn’t expecting.

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)