More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by CraniumControl CraniumControl

Who?

James Hewell, a nerdy scientist (MC,TG,TF)

James would be the first to admit he wasn't exactly the most sociable of people. He would rather spend time working on his various projects or watching movies than taking to people. It wasn't that he didn't like people, he did, he just wasn't great at talking to them. Nervousness tended to grip him in conversations, and the worry that he would say the wrong thing would grow with every word. That, combined with his, by his own admission, quite perverted mind, led to a life dominated by solitude.

Of course, that had it's benefits. Especially considering James was a once-in-a-generation genius. Or at least, he considered himself one.

It was a miserable Sunday night on the day James' life changed forever. Just an hour ago, his now ex-girlfriend had slammed the door as she left his flat, yelling about how she couldn't handle him anymore. Frankly, James thought as he sat on the couch and stared at the telly, it was like she didn't appreciate being my personal guinea pig! James' experiments often needed live subjects, and while they admittedly didn't often turn out well, it wasn't like she ever got seriously hurt! Honestly, the Avocado Incident hadn't even been that bad, and it had only lasted a day-and-a-half. Although, admittedly, he still couldn't even look at an avocado without feeling a little ill.

While James reminisced over his experiments, and tried to forget the fact that he was once again single, his subconscious was sparked by his memories. Whether it was fate, or destiny, or just pure, dumb luck, James' mind was set on fire by the newest connection it had just made, and his eyes widened as his conscious mind realised what his subconscious had just managed.

"Avocado... Oh my god!" He jumped up from his sofa, his heart suddenly pounding, ex-girlfriend all but forgotten. He nearly stumbled as he all but ran over to his desk, grabbing at a paper and pencil as he hurriedly started to write and sketch. If I'm right, he thought, this is going to change the world!

After three hours of writing, sketching, and note-checking, James stared at the papers before him, a mess of black lines and squiggles that might just have been the most amazing discovery in the history of the universe. Or, possibly, the work of a mad man. Or both.

The only way to find out was to build it.


Two months later...

The last wire in place, James could barely believe what he was about to attempt. A huge mess of cables and metal structures lay littered about his flat, wires running through all of them, connecting them to the device wrapped around his wrist. It was large, bulky, and impractical, but it was just a first attempt, and if it worked, James would easily be able to improve on the design.

Of course, that was only if it worked. There was very little guarantee. And despite the safeguards James had put in place, he still couldn't help the pit in his stomach as he began the sequence of events that could change his life forever.

First, a loud humming began to fill the apartment as James flipped a heavy lever sitting on his desk. The machinery all around him was powering up, draining electricity directly from the whole grid. It was all very illegal, but James had never been particularly concerned with legality. Or morality, for that matter.

It didn't help his nerves as the cables began to spark and flash with electricity, or as the distinct scent of burning rubber filled the flat. The lights above him flickered once, twice, before shattering and raining glass down onto the floor. James cursed as the humming grew even louder, until it was almost deafening. Electricity was arcing through the apartment now, and it was all James could do not to get shocked as he urgently tried to shut everything down. Something had clearly gone wrong.

But it was too late now, and all that electricity needed somewhere to go. In one final, brilliant, blinding flash, the electricity surged into the device on James' wrist, and he felt a brief moment of intense pain before his very atoms were split apart, and he dissolved into nothingness.

James Hewell would not be seen on Earth again in a long, long time...

What happens next?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)