More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by Zigurat Zigurat

What did he ask?

Introspection and Max’s first set of questions

Max narrowed his eyes, studying the machine, pondering what it might do, should it prove to be what it was. His gaze flickered to the broken pane of glass, a cool spring breeze flowing into his bedroom, the only one in the house unshared. Not that it was really a bedroom, simply a converted first floor den with a heavy curtain for a door. What the hell, he thought, leaning forward and typing: What if the broken window was suddenly fixed?

Upon hitting the return key, a bright flash filled the bedroom forcing him to close his eyes. Blinking them, Max looked back at the window. His eyebrows rose at the unbroken pane. Lowering his gaze to the floor, his eyes fell upon the broken glass. Have to take care of that, he nodded, quickly typing away at the machine. Another flash of light and the mess was gone. Pulling out the chair to his desk, the young man sat down before the machine and took a moment to contemplate the reality-altering device, a blinking green prompt on the otherwise blank screen. After considering a number of thoughts, Max shrugged and began to type.

After several minutes and a number of flashes, a notebook sat on his desk next to the machine titled ‘Record of the Machine.’ The journal created by the machine could only be read by him, could be called to his person at any time, would not be considered of any importance by anyone else, and would also act as an extension of the machine allowing him to write questions on the first page with a pencil that would take effect upon closing the notebook. Opening the notebook afterwards, the first page would once again be blank with the written question copied to a relevantly-titled page further in the journal (the relevant subject headings alphabetized) with a time and date stamp.

A good first step, Max thought. But – what all do I want to do with this? Hmmm, he scratched at the stubble on his chin. I don’t exactly live in an ideal situation. It’s been hard on everyone since we moved in with Aunt Allison and her family, Allison and Oliver’s house being the larger upon the discovery of the personal debts Oliver and Dad had hidden from everyone. I don’t know how we’re paying for everything now with all my cousins and sisters attending classes at the local State campus. Not that I’ll be going there in the fall. I’ll be taking a class at County Community this summer after graduation. Can’t do much more than that, not with my earnings as a dishwasher at Fernando’s. Thank God the bussers and servers share the tips with us. I think they’ve even given me a little more since the passing of my father and uncle. And I don’t think Mom and Allison bring in all too much – both are secretaries, Mom at the law firm of Caldwell, Cowell & Associates, Allison at the corporate offices of Linsner Ventures downtown.

So… Step number two should be money. Be of good help to everyone. I should have no problem sharing – should – but I should control the purse strings. Nor do I want to become their cash cow. It would be best if I were to receive something in exchange however minor. And better for my cousins and sisters to have jobs outside the house, encourage them to learn life skills and self-sufficiency so they can survive on their own. So… how to word this ‘What if?’ Hmmm…. Max reached over for his cell, opening up the browser of the smart phone and searched online for current lottery values. The young man nodded, reading the current valuation of the three national and the state’s pick six. Not too big individually – nothing like the 2 billion back in 2022, but together a nice nest egg.

What if no one else wins the Mega Millions, the Powerball, the Big Game, and the state’s Pick Six for the drawings I buy tickets with no one winning any of these drawings until after I win them?

Max nodded. That should work, he thought and pressed enter. With a small flash, the characters on the small screen disappeared with the prompt returning to its starting position. Nice, the young man thought. I’ll need twelve dollars to buy the tickets thanks to the last uprate. Picking up his wallet from the desk, he looked inside the bill compartment and frowned seeing only a single. Shit. If I borrow the other eleven, they could make a claim on the winnings. Hmmm. Well, I want something in trade for any cash I hand out so there’s no better time than to ensure that.

What if I can exchange anything I have for anything I want, including services, concepts, and anything else I can think up?

“That should be fun,” the young man grinned, pressing enter.

“What should be fun?” a female voice spoke up.

Who is it?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)