More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by Dogdog Dogdog

Whose story do you follow?

Ilex Greenstride, Classless Orphan

A single droplet from the sky fell through the stale air, where it landed atop my nose. The contact alone caused a single tremor to shimmer through my very core, something I took as a warning sign of the upcoming shift in weather. What used to be a bright blue blanket of clear sky now began to display the telling warnings that come before a sudden rainfall. No one needed to be skilled in the arts of fortune; rain was as clear as the dim and gray clouds in the sky.

I wiped away the splatter of water with the back of my hand and sighed.

Well, this adds a ticking clock, huh? I could continue to stand in front of the DCS. But it was quite literally getting no one anywhere. People continued to walk around me while I stood dormant, too hesitant to do anything. No one paid me any mind. Why would they? There were warriors in training, along with mages and hunters, the general bunch of trainees awaiting their chances to become fully assigned to their class. A random scrawny pencil-armed waste of a teen phased them no more than a feather in the wind...

Maybe the coming rain was simply the world telling me to get on with it.

My fist clenched. An action that caused the few coins I obtained to be tightly held within my grasp.

The past few months, I worked to fish together just enough to get by... Enough to lift me out of this unending cycle of pathetic helplessness.

Right as a second collided into the mess that was my spikey unkempt brown hair, I pushed myself forward through the two double doors of the DCS.

This was the only place in the entirety of Archwood that could get me out of my current situation. Being a generic human in this realm is already a fate that starts one off with a significant handicap in life, but with two deceased human parents of no class and no funds to their name... Well, that just turns what would be a significant handicap into an unwinnable circumstance.

The human race, in itself, isn't something many look down on. It is rare to find someone who is fully human. There are typically traces of other aspects and races mixed in one's blood. For example, it's quite easy to find a human with traces of witch DNA in their roots. And nearly all Elves are frequently made up of mainly human characteristics.

But if one is born, a pure-blooded human... Then you have me. Ilex Greenstride.

Now inside the building. I looked up to read the words etched into the wooden sign that hung above an assortment of four tables.

''The Department of Class Services''

A line extended a long way around the entirety of the open room. A few wooden desks with stools were scattered about, along with a couple of chairs that sat in the waiting rooms to either side of the entrance. Since I didn't have an appointment (not like I could've acquired one seeing that I never had access to a place to live, let alone an appointment scroll.) I took to standing at the end of the ever-growing line.

But unlike everyone else present in the room, I was far from impatient or bored. No one typically wanted to be here; the DCS only assigned, removed, or transferred class licenses, along with a few other things that many didn't tend to enjoy. Quests, along with teams, couldn't be authorized here, nor the rewards for said quests; items and artifacts, bobbles, scrolls, or skills... none of them could be obtained. No, not here. Only licenses and the city-mandated legal jumble behind those enjoyable and gold-paying prospects could be done at the DCS.

It sucked...for any and everyone else in the room.

I was in a much different state of mind for the first time in years. I was hopeful. Since the night both of my parents were killed in a ruthless show of amusement by trolls. I felt... happy...

Gold. Silver. Copper. Coins... Coins dictated everything in nearly every region. Unfortunate for those living lives of poverty and even worse so if they happen to be classless. For a generic human with no class, finding a stable job of any form is nearly impossible. Why hire a human for a job when anyone with a class can prove to be more efficient in everything the ineffective classless could manage? A classless human can't accept quests, apply for training or do anything to move up in the world. Simply put. I needed a class. And to apply for one, I needed a downpayment. The payment isn't much, but for a bloke without a single cent to his name, the thought of getting a class seemed like an impossible fantasy.

Which, it was...

To get money, I was to apply for a class. Hunter, Mage, Bard, Warrior, Cleric, Rogue, Alchemist. It didn't matter. Nothing was really needed to start at a basic level, and a basic level was the only requirement for most jobs out there. But to apply for a job or quest, to get the money... I needed a class...

It was an endless cycle that I never believed I'd be able to escape.

To get a class, I needed money. And to get money, I needed a class.

Needless to say, I had no interest in losing the money that was mine. I earned it after months of scavenging for whatever drops of copper I could find scattered about. At this point, I would rather die than part with what I held within my grasp. Because if I didn't get a class today... I'd basically be as good as dead.

My stomach grumbled with a familiar tone to remind me of the prevalent hunger I was already aware of. A heavy storm was told to be on its way. And I had absolutely nothing to my name. The exact moment I get my amateur license, I'm taking a quest, and I plan to go and earn my keep just enough for a low-end apartment and a handful of fruit. In times like this, I had to keep myself alive or choose a pathetic in an uncaring world. No one's here to take care of me. And, truthfully, I don't want anyone to try to do so. My parents used to look out for me, and... they...

...I.. I have to stick up for myself. End of story

I shook my head free of any ill thoughts and looked up into my bright future.

Despite the urgency I felt in needing to be assigned to a class today, I was giddy to bones with excitement. My plan was to apply to the bard class. Bards aren't seen too often when compared to the alternate classes available, and with my overall lack of skill and ability to fight in the field, placing myself into a support class would be the most prosperous path for me. And most bards are often seen in a positive light, with their whole knack to entertain and please audiences. It's hard to be displeased with someone who can fill one's ears with the pleasant sounds of nothingness.

"Next." A dull feminine voice called.

I blinked and looked ahead. Just then realizing that nearly two hours had passed from the time I entered the building. Being genuinely taken aback, it took me a few seconds to realize that it was me who was being called up. A young woman was seated at a stool behind the leftmost front desk while her brown gloved hand jotted down absently at the scroll in front of her.

She noticed my hesitance and paused in her writing to glance up. "Next." She repeated herself, this time coming off much with a much more impatient and annoyed tone.

My eyes met hers for a few passing seconds, and I gulped. Then I felt my legs moving on their own as I approached her desk.

"He.. Hello, I.."

"What can I do for you?" She interrupted me with her focus back on the scroll. Her slender fingers danced across its surface, and I was able to get a nice look down at her since she was leaning forward. She wore a form-fitting light blue dress that was darker around her stomach and lower chest; the dark blue material formed into something similar to a corset. Her upper breasts were coated with the light blue that continued over her shoulders down her slender arms.

Apparently, she was expecting a response from me, despite not bothering to look my way, since she raised her gaze up and let out a sigh as she said. "Can I help you? Or should I call up someone else?" She left her soft lips in a frown and stared into my eyes; the single bang of short brown hair that obstructed her vision wasn't a bother enough for her to swipe it aside.

"Uh..." I blinked... "I just... No. I wanted to apply for a class." I said matter of factly.

Then as I reached into my pocket to rummage for the coins I placed in there, the woman said. "Understood. The fee is fourteen copper or two silver. We accept gold and will provide appropriate compensation."

"Yeah.." I said as my hands scooped up the needed money. "It took me forever to get.."

The woman was not in any mood to hold a conversation. "And I need a form of identification, along with your proof of residency in Archwood."

The world froze just as I took hold of the money. I stared at her while she continued to write absently onto her scroll. Not a single care was given towards me or how her words put all of my plans to a halt. Form of Identification? Proof of residency? I never knew I needed those two things; genuinely, this was the farthest I've ever gotten... I don't even think I could obtain them even if I had been made aware.

"I don't... Have those things..."

Slowly. The young woman blinked and glanced up at me. "Really?"

"Yeah.. I..."

"Fine." She sighed. "You can go and bring them back." After rolling her eyes, she added. "I'll give you ten minutes. And if you take too long..."

"No.. I... I.... I don't have those things."

"What do you mean?"

"I don't have any form of identification, and I don't have a home."

"Then... you..." Her dark eyes trailed over me as she spoke with a sluggish tongue. "Can't apply for a class? I'm not sure what you're doing here if you're not a city resident."

"But I live here."

"You do?" She raised an eyebrow. "Then prove it. Show me proof of residency."

"I can't.."

"Identification."

"I..."

"Sir. If you can not provide either of those, I can't give you a class license. So, if you will." She made a showing motion with her gloved hands and turned her attention back to the line behind me.

Her mouth opened, no doubt to shout the words, "NEXT!" But out of pure instinct, I cut her off.

"No! Please!" I said through an audible whisper. "Please.. Please... Please! Please!! I need this.. I don't have a home... I don't have identification or anything. I have nothing... please just..." The coins in my hands were dropped onto her desk, as I said. "Please help me."

The woman's dull and completely uncaring face show a single flash of genuine emotion as she looked at me in silence.

After a few prolonged moments, she exhaled a soft breath. "Where did you sleep last night?"

"In the alleyway between the pub down south and the Rankarter Inn."

"Have you ever stayed at that Inn?"

"I could never afford to; the owners are fine with my living in the alleyway as long as I stay far behind the large waste bin at the back. And if it's raining out, they'll let me use it for cover."

"So that explains your smell."

"My smell..."

"Did either of those store owners ever once give you mail or a parcel?"

I paused and thought back. My life in that alleyway was spent entirely unnoticed by the rest of Archwood, I could've died there, and not a single soul would bat an eye. Of course, I wouldn't have received mail. "No..."

The woman frowned. "Well, there's not anything I can do."

"But..."

"Okay, listen to me. Take what you have." She pushed my collection of coins back towards me. "And buy yourself a place to sleep tonight. Try to get someone to send you a letter or anything while you're there. If you can get me proof of residency, I might be able to work around your lack of identification."

At that moment, my fire of hope for a bright future was nearly killed.

I wanted to protest. To beg the woman to pull some strings, or just do anything that could help... But instead of doing something that would lead to nothing. I took my coins and left the building as quietly as I entered. She didn't care about me. It was nothing but a job to her, a way for her to earn a living for herself. I couldn't or shouldn't blame the clerk.

The woman's eyes were pushing an invisible weight atop me for a second or two before she glanced back to the line and called out for the next waiting customer.


The fire of hope was nearly killed...

Nearly.

I was depressed. Yes. But not hopeless. The entire discussion I had with the clerk was nothing more than her job. But, after giving things some more thought, it did appear that the woman genuinely wanted to help me for a bit back there. Her advice of buying a room and then having someone send me mail was valid and could potentially work. Sure, I still didn't have any form of identification, but she said she'd be willing to ignore that, so that's all I could possibly bet on.

The only current problem stemmed back to the money. I only had enough for a room for one to two days. After that, it wouldn't matter if I got any proof of residents since I'd have no money to pay for the class ID card.

I needed more money.. That's what it all came down to...

How would I get that? Well, I... I don't really know. But I won't let that fact stop me from pushing forward. It's been years, and I've come this far. To give up would be an insult to my parents, wherever they are now...

After exiting the DCS, I began to head straight for the Inn. I was running with my bare feet, patting against the wet, mud-painted floor as the heavy rain battered against me. Yep. It was pouring down hard. The falling water was so thick it made the road ahead hard to see. The rush of the howling wind drove in the opposing direction as if serving as yet another obstacle to aid in breaking my morale. It wasn't enough to succeed in that regard, but I did certainly come close to slipping more than a few times; the pain from my bare feet rang loud, but amidst the crashing rain along with the occasional rumbles of thunder, any surges of discomfort were easily ignored.

Fortunately, the constant wails of anger surging from whatever God or Goddess was in control of the weather couldn't affect me much as I turned into the familiar alleyway that grew to become my home. Right after I slipped into the narrow strip and staggered to a wet-bodied stop, I let out a sigh of what could only be described as a relief. The two buildings, and the fortunate angle of the wind, perfectly assisted in preventing the constant rain from pouring down on me. Without even bothering to dry out the only set of clothing I had, that being my ragged leather tunic and shorts, I nearly collapsed onto the rag I used as a pillow or bed... sometimes both.

My soaked ass dropped down without a single care. But, right as I landed on the rag, I felt the distinct feeling of something solid yet thin, akin to a rope of some kind, a snake.. or a tail like...

Oh shit.

"K`ah-eeekkss!!..."

The solid tail-like thing under my butt and rag slipped away effortlessly. From the corner of my eye, I noticed a swift dirty gold blur flick from the rug to under the bottom of the large trash bin. After no more than a second of it disappearing into darkness, two golden slits for eyes appeared from the shadows. Reptile-like eyes stared back at me, full of alarm and hesitance. They were the perfect mix of what one would assume to be both signs of fear and warning. But alas, I knew it wasn't either. The creature looking back at me physically can't display emotions, let alone anxiety or anger.

Though, those eyes were extremely sharp, particularly the slits that her irises had become. If I were anyone else, coming this close would certainly have been a mistake. But I wasn't harmed for a reason; my presence was definitely recognized as not an unknown intruder.

I leaned my head against the cracked and dirt-coated brick wall behind with a sigh. "Damnit.. Sorry about that."

The eyes stared back at me, ever so slowly losing their sharp edge. They blinked twice before disappearing entirely amid the mask of shadow; a few seconds later, a slender figure crawled out from beneath the bin.

"Okay." A calm toneless voice, with a distinctly flat and feminine draw, responded.

The sharp weight of her gaze settled itself atop me; I could sense her attention without even needing to open my eyes.

Arya's constant presence has been something I grew to accept and full to expect. She comes and goes but tends to be here more often than not; it was nice having her here. She was something like a roommate... If a wandering kemonomimi catgirl that only acknowledged this area to be one of her numerous abodes could be considered a roommate. She was surprisingly attractive for someone who was as homeless as me. Her ocean-blue hair cascaded down to the upper edge of her bare shoulders with multiple shades of blue. She had two sizable breasts that were always lying loosely underneath the ragged top.

Scratch Scratch Scratch Scratch

The sound of something sharp scraping against fabric caught my attention. Enough to cause me to open my eyes. Arya was crouched in front of the trash bin; she tilted her head to the side while her bare feet idly scraped at her cheek. It was cute. The position of her hands in front of her crotch had her breasts be squeezed together by both arms. The lack of anything but panties to cover her crotch had never failed to distract me; it displayed the distinct outline of her pussy. But regardless, I try to ignore that and her general lack of clothing combined with the body beneath.

"Did you do it?" She said. Her foot lowered, and her shimmering blue eyes looked at me with a complete lack of emotion.

"No." I leaned back my head again.

The sky above continued to rage on.

Arya's blue ears twitched. "Unfortunate." She shifted to a position on all fours; the toned natural curve of her back made her ass present itself to the wall. Of course, I glanced her way since her breasts were now being affected by gravity to hang down and sway under her loose rag. The nice look towards her boobs was short-lived; she moved close enough to rest her head against my leg and then rolled up into a ball-like position with tucked knees.

Damn...

What am I going to do about her? If I somehow did manage to claim myself a class and begin a revival of my downfalling life, Arya would be left behind. I know she's essentially doing her own thing, but she's as homeless as I am in all regards. In a sense, I feel that she both is and isn't my responsibility. Archwood has a strict prohibition of anyone with an Assassin class. Generally speaking, that class as a whole is a widespread taboo to be associated with, but certain factions and cities do allow it. Archwood failed to be one of them. Arya claimed to hail from Ordpolis, a city known for being one of the most popular places around to build up classes under the perimeter of dark arts. Unfortunately, one of her jobs brought her to an area that doesn't take too kindly towards her choice in career.

She's extremely skilled; I've seen it myself. The way she is able to kill a man so effortlessly is a scary thing to see. And disposing of the body isn't a problem. The kemonomimi had a knack for erasing any bit of evidence. Unfortunately, she crossed paths with Imogene Stormblade. The absolute highest ranking warrior to hail from Archwood. Arya's skilled, very much so, but assassins use stealth and underhanded tactics to take down their prey. In a one-on-one fight, Imogene could draw the heart-blood of anyone who happened to stand as her foe. Arya was lucky to be alive. But after the encounter, she was stripped of everything, including her freedom; clearly, she escaped captivity, but now she was a street cat, using her skills to complete odd jobs that didn't exist. She has no emotions. Apparently, they were forcefully removed from her at a young age. So... she wouldn't be upset if I left her. But she might feel just ever so more alone. I'd be if she left.

It's hard to understand what her view of me is. She does up and leaves me nearly every other day. But the fact that she always came back must mean something... Who knows, she might be out assassinating people for petty change. A few nights she'd come back with a loaf of bread in her mouth or even a basket of fruits. I don't question where she's got it from or the dried blood on her retracted claws.

Her blue tail flicked up and slapped me across the face. Nearly instantly, and out of pure instinct, I spat out the fur that she left behind. My leg slightly hummed, and under the consistent rumbling rain and bustling wind, I could hear her faintly purring.

Yeah.. I can't leave her...

..but on the other hand, I can't associate with her either. If I scored a class of any kind, it could be easily revoked the moment it's known that she and I correlated with each other. It's something I'd have to talk to her about... clearly not now.

In the rain, she'd usually be hiding under something, such as below or inside the trash bin. That is where I was planning on hiding out from the raging weather, but Arya appeared content resting on my lap; who am I to expect a peacefully purring cat to move?

I closed my eyes and again leaned my head back against the hard wall behind me. It was as solid as ever, but Ayra was soft and very warm. My fingers gently stroked her head, and she pleasantly nuzzled her nose against my leg. For someone with no emotions, she appeared to be very content at the moment. Not that she's smiling (I've never seen her smile once in the period I've known her.), but I can certainly hear some adamant purring that only grew with time. Despite this state of comfort, her ears twitched every few moments, as if she were on high alert for something... eh, it's probably an assassin thing.

When the storm passes over, I can talk to her about things. For now, I was okay with sitting through the downpour with my little cat.


My Discord Server - https://discord.gg/QfgMsPJ

Patreon - https://www.patreon.com/user/membership?u=19806536

The Doggyverse - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1R0pV_BMSGURUvuJhVrP29rI3mbduG1W6K4Bmyc-O39M/edit?usp=sharing

What's Next?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)