More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 3 by carlystar carlystar

What's next?

Homeroom

Abby arrives just in time for the bell.

All the students congregating outside the school's big front entrance begin to make their way inside. Abby only has a few moments to take in her new school.

It's... pretty basic. Kind of a normal, modern high school. Brick. Lots of windows. Not much else by way of personality. Hedges run along the outside walls, neatly trimmed to just below the window sills. A big flagpole area sits right in the middle of the school's front lawn, in a circular plaza area with some benches and flower beds.

The only remarkable thing about the school were the large iron gates that closed each evening and opened each morning. They were adorned with the school's name; 'Crossrose Academy,' and emblem; an antique thorny rose bordered by an elaborate coat of arms.

Still, it was Abby's school now, and she loved it. She made her way through the hallways with the rest of the students. There were much fewer than there had been in her high school class. Not everyone had a power, though, so that made sense. She only recognized a handful of them. Everyone else was a stranger.

Her day starts with homeroom. It's kind of a class before classes begin. A time for the teachers to make announcements or finish preparing for their first classes. It's also when most students do the homework that's due that day.

Abby takes a seat in the middle of the room. Not too close that she would seem like a teacher's pet, and not too far back that she would be seen as a slacker. The perfect spot.

The teacher comes in a few minutes later, a bit after the bell rang.

He's a middle-aged guy with stiff greying hair and glasses. He's tall and has blue eyes, and is pretty fit for his age. Not a body-builder but he isn't scrawny or sporting a beer belly like most male teachers Abby had had in the past.

"I'm Professor Michaels," he says, writing his name on the whiteboard. "I will be both your homeroom, and Powers-History teacher. I will also advise most of you, so you better get used to me. And if any of you end up becoming super villains... just remember that I voted against the cafeteria menu this year."

A few of Abby's peers chuckle. She liked Professor Michaels right away. He gave her the impression that he would be the strict-but-fair type of teacher. Like he would push them when they needed it, and let them have fun when they were doing well.

The teacher hands out several introductory papers to everyone and lets them have the rest of the short class period to themselves. Homeroom is only twenty minutes long, but it was still nice having some time to relax and prepare for their next class.

Abby feels a tap on her shoulder and turns around to find a tall boy with dark hair standing over her, smiling.

"Hey, I'm Nick. Looks like I'll be sitting behind you, thought I should introduce myself. And uh... if you want... I'll show you mine."

Abby blinks, startled. "Y-your?..." She hopes her blush isn't too visible.

"Power?" The boy, Nick, grins.

"Oh, haha. Right." Abby smiles back up at him and decides to play along. "Show me yours, I'll show you mine."

Nick looks pleased. "Maybe we should meet up somewhere private? After school. I know a nice cafe just downtown we could-"

Before he can finish, Professor Michaels taps his desk loudly with a pen to get their attention.

"One last thing before the bell, class. I'm going to put you in assigned seating from now on. This is just something they've been wanting us to do. I know, it's pointless but tell that to the Principle. Alright, let's see. You, here. You, there..."

The professor begins pointing at students and desks and telling who to sit where.

Abby, unfortunately, ends up at the very front of the class, between two other girls, and with a girl behind her.

Well, there goes my chance at flirting in homeroom. She thinks to herself. She considers going back to talk with Nick before the bell, but is too late. Just after sitting down at her new desk, the bell rings.

"Class dismissed. See you tomorrow, everyone. Same time, same place." Professor Michaels says.

And Abby leaves for her next class.

Where to?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)