More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by mattpantyhose mattpantyhose

What's next?

High Noon

The sheriff was slightly worried, the deputies should have returned by now. The mission they had gone on was supposed to be a routine one, but of course delays can always happen and it did not necessarily need to mean that they were in trouble. Anyway she was their superior, not their mother, she had to trust in their competence. Until their return Mary was the only law officer in the town, fortunately Tytepoos was a safe place and she could as well focus on running her saloon.

Mary was standing outside of the saloon and watching the main street when she saw a rider coming towards her. She reached for the belt just to make sure that the gun was coming out smoothly. The rider was approaching quickly, but did not seem to have hostile intentions, Mary was an experienced sheriff and could read such signs. The rider approached her and stopped his horse; he was a young man, tired and visibly distressed.

“Sheriff Hornney?” he asked.

“Yes, that’s me,” Mary replied, “you seem to be carrying bad news,” she added.

“I am,” the man said and dismounted, “gather all your men. Oldman’s band is coming.”

“Oldman’s band?” the sheriff was genuinely surprised, “I’ve never heard that name.”

“They’re not from here, but come from the south. They robbed a bank and killed two men only recently. No-one here knows them yet, but I recognised them, “they’re coming this way,” he added. Look at this,”the man handed Mary a wanted poster. Four faces were drawn on it and a hefty prize was offered for their heads.

“There’s four of them coming?” the sheriff asked.

“Yes. How many men do you have?”

“Five. But they’re all out of town.”

“Damn it!”

“But you’re saying they think we don’t know who they are.”

“That’s right. That’s why I came to warn you.”

“So they might just be coming to spend their money and don’t expect a hostile sheriff. I could set an ambush instead of staging an all-out gunfight. Or at least buy some time.”

“What can I do?” the young man sounded slightly afraid, but was still eager to help.

“You can start by telling me your name.”

“Oh! I’m so sorry. My name’s Moonlit Kidd.”

“Sheriff Mary Hornney,” they shook their hands, “we’ll see what you can do. Can the bandits recognise you?”

“I don’t think so.”

“Good. Let’s get it.”

They entered the saloon and Mary continued to speak.

“For now just go into the corner and have a drink, it’s on the house. Don’t attract their attention and don’t do anything until I tell you. Understood?”

“Yes, ma’am!”

What's next?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)