More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by Xenolan Xenolan

What shall you do?

Go to Valerie's bedchamber

Valerie’s rooms are, of course, adjacent to your own; a short passage behind your bed takes you to her door. As the King, you have the right to simply enter, but some habits die hard and you still find yourself knocking every time you come to visit her.

“Please enter, Your Grace,” comes a voice from within (she knows it is you – only the King may use this door). It is not Valerie, who as your lover is one of the few who calls you simply Xavier; rather, it is her maidservant Yvette who beckons.

You open the door and are greeted with the sweet scent of fresh flowers and a trace of cherry-wood smoke from the morning’s fire. Valerie’s balcony window faces east but for the moment her heavy curtains are drawn, and the light in the room comes from the fireplace and the candles. Yvette, who normally dresses in the simple but elegant clothing suitable for a royal servant, today wears in a low-cut red velvet dress, which looks very becoming on her but is clearly meant for a taller woman – it is, no doubt, one of Valerie’s gowns which she offered to her maid for the festivities.

Yvette bows low to you, and you bid her rise. “Is Valerie about?” you ask her.

“Mademoiselle is bathing, Your Grace,” Yvette replies, her voice apologetic. “She wishes to look her best for the opening of the festival.”

“Valerie is not the only one who will be looking her best this day,” you say by way of compliment.

Yvette blushes, and self-consciously reaches up to touch the soft velvet. “I… Mademoiselle offered me the gown. I will change if it displeases the King.”

“Of course not,” you assure her. “The gown looks lovely on you, and today is a day of celebration.”

“Yes, Sire.”

Yvette has never been able to relax in your presence; one of the more difficult things to get used to as the King is this sort of reverence and nervousness, especially from the servants. Often, you wish that you could issue a proclamation reminding the people that you spent your childhood as an apprentice to a blacksmith!

“Is there anything you require of me, Your Grace?” Yvette asks uncertainly.

(Note from the Editor: I do not plan to continue this thread. Contributions are welcome!)

What do you require?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)