More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by Naysha of the Amazons Naysha of the Amazons

What's next?

Fort Haven: School Days

The Quark-Tek disaster would have major effects on communication and the internet. Large parts failed, with most of it only archived, a snapshot encased in digital amber, sometimes mined for content on the new-net that now surrounded it.

One of those revivals would have an impact. In the succeeding decades, many coastal cities were rebuilt with large towers and denser populations than ever. But some yearned for a different kind of life. As many of the nu-gens heard their parents and older generations talk about trips on the farm or watched nature documentaries showing lakes and forests, a movement piled up.

The spark came when Garry Hancock found an abandoned town and started to rehabilitate it, bringing electricity back to homes that had last seen life decades prior. Soon a trend of young people followed suit.

That trend would continue when a group of nu-gens, wanting a less metropolitan lifestyle, purchased an entire abandoned town in north Florida. They renamed it Fort Haven. Refounded by a mostly misfit and outcast group of dickwomen and cuntmen, Fort Haven was rebuilt, decades-old buildings being repurposed and new ones erected. Land was cheap or even free, and word soon spread, attracting people who sought a new start—even a handful of Classics.

***

Alex Crawford watched the small TV as she relaxed on her lunch break. One of the daytime talk shows was always on during this hour. Although not her favorite, celebrity gossip was a guilty pleasure she enjoyed.

Being a teacher at Fort Haven West Elementary was a unique experience. The town had grown so much in recent years that there were new students seemingly every other week. Even though the town had only been around eight years, it had already boomed enough to require a second elementary school.

She looked at the large elm tree just outside the window. Her mind went back to her time studying at Miami. The hustle and bustle of the city—and the campus—had drained the energy out of her on a daily basis. Now, though, she had her own small house, and she was teaching a class of almost entirely nu-gen students. Things were actually exciting. There was activity and movement, but it wasn’t constricting or overbearing. The move and change of lifestyle had agreed with her. Being around the small children had brought enjoyment to her job.

Alex's mind came back when the door opened. Her fourth-graders were returning from lunch. She turned off the TV, gathered her lesson plans, and prepared to start teaching them how to compare fractions.

She sighed when she saw one boy in particular. Kevyn Caldwell had been a headache ever since he moved here. He was acting out and making a fit, and sometimes it took all her mental strength to keep her class focused and keep him disciplined.

She wrote a note on her desk: Parent-teacher conference?

***

When the final bell of the day rang, Alex asked Kevyn to stay back for a couple of minutes.

“Hey, could you let both your parents know I’d like to speak with them about you? Since they’re going to pick you up?”

The boy looked scared, but he nodded.

“I’ll be waiting at the front door.”

The two walked out—Kevyn to the line where parents were waiting and Alex to the door. A few minutes later, a red car pulled up, and two men exited the vehicle with Kevyn in tow. Alex immediately noticed one of them had flared hips, high-waisted jeans, and… Is that a—

“Hi, Miss Crawford.” One of the parents spoke up, pulling her out of her reverie.

“It’s nice to meet you. What are your names?”

“I’m Chayce Marineux, the father, and he’s Lance, Kevyn’s dad.”

“Pleased to meet you both. Now, if you’ll come this way to my desk.”

Next?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)