More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by Xenolan Xenolan

What shall you do?

Explore among the tents of visitors from afar

Truth be told, your last priority as King should be to check on the visiting commoners, but you can't help but be intrigued by the cacophony of tents and other encampments set up along the River Road. Growing up in Elyssia, you have been exposed to many other cultures simply because so many different people came here to settle, but you have not had the chance to do much in the way of traveling yourself, and this is an opportunity to get to know a little more about what lies outside the valley in which you’ve spent your life.

The scene down at the visitor’s camp is practically chaotic, with tents and fire pits and all manner of temporary accommodations from the river to the woods, and stretching for miles down the road. It would have been even worse had Captain Navarre not put the City Watch to work dividing up both sides of the road into parcels and marking them with stakes, to keep some semblance of order and ensure that all visitors could access the river and other necessities. "At gatherings such as this, such as tournaments or coronations, I have seen small battles break out over matters as simple as a choice campsite by the stream," he said to you during the preparations. "There will still be confrontations, but we can handle them if we establish order from the start."

"Order" is still a relative term, however. While the tents are reasonably well-arranged by the road, the pre-drawn lines were clearly ignored as one draws nearer to the woods, and the people themselves crowd everywhere, bartering, arguing, carrying water or firewood, leading confused animals, or just mulling about and taking in the fascinating sights of so many different people in one place. Those of similar cultures tend to have clustered together, but the children run everywhere, playing games with whoever they find regardless of differences in color or language. You feel pleased to see this, as it is a reflection of the best part of Elyssia – the idea people of all kinds may live together in peace.

Which is not to say that all is peaceful. At one point, Magnus is compelled to leave his place at your side and go to break up a fight between two women who seem to have simply bumped into each other while collecting water; as Magnus is over seven feet tall and as strong as the rest of your Kingsguard put together, he is able to put a stop to the confrontation quickly and easily. It is at that moment that the people seem to collectively realize that the King of Elyssia is in their midst, and a hush falls over the crowd as they turn in your direction. Many drop to their knees at your approach, and even the children stop their scampering as they realize something unusual is happening.

"Magnus," you say quietly, and the huge Scotsman’s voice booms out with the words you had prepared.

"Before you is the King of Elyssia!" he bellows, loudly enough to reach far back into the hushed crowd. "King Xavier, First of that Name, welcomes you all to his Kingdom and thanks you for accepting his hospitality. It is the King's wish that you go on about your business while he rides among you; there is no need to kneel or to bow. We ask only that you keep the King’s peace, respect our laws while you are guests in our home, and –" Magnus pauses to take a horn of ale from his saddle, and lifts it high – "and, enjoy this time of celebration with us!" He downs the ale in a gulp and tosses the horn to a young child standing nearby, as the crowd around you cheers with delight. In a moment, they are back at their tasks, but with a more festive general feeling in the air.

You nod your thanks to Magnus, and together with him and Lady Trina, who guards your left side, continue down the River Road through the encampment. The people you pass alternately stare in awe or bow their heads in respect; many of them have never seen a King before, you know, and did not expect to see one today!

Now that you are here, you begin to think on how you might spend your morning. Back into the trees is a natural depression, where a wrestling pit has been built. This was at Captain Navarre's suggestion, to provide a controlled way for people to work out aggression or settle minor differences which could otherwise end in bloodshed. There seems to be something going on there now, as a crowd has gathered around and every so often they let out a rousing cheer.

Up against a massive stone which juts from the hillside is a stage where the bards may play to an audience, and you can see there is activity there as well. Over the rabble of the crowd, you can barely make out the melodious strands of a woman’s voice, and it is quite beautiful.

Of course, the matter of finding a Queen is still on your mind, and while it is unlikely that a suitable candidate would be discovered here, stranger things have happened. At a bend in the river is what amounts to a picnic ground, surrounded by trees, and word has spread that this is where the young and unwed visitors might gather in the hopes of finding romance with one another. Likely, they weren't expecting the King to join them, but one of the advantages of being King is that you may go where you please! Furthermore, there is an interesting tradition which emerged during the settlement of Elyssia, which is that when an eligible bachelor is searching for a potential wife, women who are interested will often seek his attention by offering themselves with much more freedom than they ordinarily might. As King, you’ve tried to avoid those kinds of indulgences and temptations... but if you’re “officially” looking for a wife, then you can certainly expect the interest of many of your unwed female visitors, and for you to respond to their advances would simply be following tradition!

Along a beaten path leading toward the woods is where the traveling merchants have set up their carts and wares, offering all manner of exotic goods from distant lands. Strange spices, cloth and garments, even weapons and armament are on display - and there are at least a few tents where women are clearly offering themselves for sale. Of course, you are a King and such is beneath you - but there's no denying that some of the women are exotic and exciting, and it IS a time of celebration...

Then, your eye catches the brightly-colored tents, wagons, and flags of the Gypsy encampment. They had arrived early, a week before anyone else, and thus claimed the prime campsite for themselves; far upstream so that their water is fresh, among a group of trees so shade is plentiful, and with a view of the castle in the distance. The Gypsies, being a culture of wanderers, are one of the few peoples who are entirely unrepresented among the Elyssians, which makes them intriguing. Among them, you know, is a seer of great renown, a woman known as Talaitha who has practiced her mystical craft for kings and lords all over the known world. While you view the arts of prophecy and fortune-telling with skepticism (those few practitioners who came to Elyssia were exposed as frauds, and most left rather than face the ridicule), you can't help but be curious to see how it is done, and what someone like Talaitha might have to say about your future Queen. Even if it is nonsense, it could be entertaining, and it's been a while since you took a moment to just relax and enjoy yourself.

Where shall you go?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)