More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 3 by Kisara-ST Kisara-ST

What should I do next?

Checking on the other researcher

I decided to pay a visit to this researcher who also survived. Maybe Jade knew them. She wasn't familiar with all the people who worked at the laboratory, as she only joined a few months ago and tended to stay with her group, not interacting often with the other groups. She was kind of a lone wolf.

Despite the pain flaring through my body, I walked towards the door. I opened it, only to be greeted by the nurse who came earlier.

“Ms. Jade? Is there anything wrong?” She asked.

“I apologize, but the doctor told me that one of my colleagues was here, I just… wanted to see them.”

“Hmm, you shouldn't move too much, but she's in the next room, so I think it should be fine. Call me if you need anything.”

“Thanks.”

The nurse kept me in her line of sight as I walked towards the other room. Inside laid a female nekomata, slightly older than Jade. She was one of the higher-ups at the lab, but Jade only spoke to her a handful of times.

Her name is Mina, if I remember correctly.

She also got injured in the attack, judging from the bandages on her body. She was breathing softly, her eyes closed. I came closer, trying to remember if I saw her as my slime self. I spotted a few nekomatas, but my memories from back then were too blurry. My mind was too limited to store long-term memories before I took over Jade.

When I got closer, I felt something strange... Some sort of connection to Mina. I touched her hand carefully, and she immediately opened her eyes, sitting up and looking at me.

“You... You're... Jade?”

I smiled, trying to ignore this strange feeling for now. “Yes, and you're Mina, right?”

“I am, yes…” She said, still staring at me. “You were there during the attack.”

“I'm a survivor, just like you. We were lucky.”

“Yeah…”

Her gaze lingered on me, as if she was lost in thought. Was she also feeling this weird connection?

She leaned closer, so close that it was making me slightly uncomfortable. But, as our faces were almost touching, this connection strengthened.

“You're... a slime, aren't you?” She spoke quietly, making my eyes widen in surprise.

“Huh?”

“You're like me... Don't you feel it? This... link we have. I didn't expect to see one of us so soon... I thought I'd be alone…” She said, smiling in relief.

“You're also…”

“Just like you, I imagine. I was panicking, trying to hide from those who attacked the lab, and found Mina, injured, but alive. Without any second thought, I dove inside her mouth, and realized that I took control of her body.”

I sat next to her, smiling slightly. “It's good to know that I'm not the only one who survived. Things were so confusing when I woke up. I… truly believed that I was Jade, at first.”

Mina chuckled. “I experienced the same thing, but Mina is… far more prideful. It took me a while to come to terms with this. But now, I know what I truly am.”

I nodded, sheepishly rubbing my thighs together. “Although, being an elf is quite nice… I don't want to get back to what I used to be… It's like… my time as a slime was just a distant and blurry dream I only woke up from after becoming Jade.”

“Indeed. I wish our siblings from the labs could experience this too. I hope most of them survived.”

“I hope so too.” I replied, sighing. “Maybe we could check the laboratory's surroundings once we're out of here. Some could have escaped and been hiding since.”

“That's a deal, sister.” She said, gently caressing my shoulder. “I'm glad to have you by my side.”

I blushed slightly. “Likewise, sister.”

We weren't biological siblings, but it still felt right to call ourselves sisters in that instance. We had to support each other, after all. And it also served as a nice reminder of our situation. Slimes didn't have a gender, we reproduced by division after gaining enough mass. But we were currently in the bodies of two females.

Someone knocked on the door, interrupting our conversation. “Ms. Mina, are you awake?”

“I am, yes." Mina replied before whispering in my ear and holding my hand. "We'll talk more later. Rest well, Jade.”

“Rest well, Mina.”

As another nurse, an elven woman, walked in, I left Mina and returned to my room. The nekomata nurse came back soon after to bring me some food and a vial of potion to speed up my recovery.

“How's your colleague?” She asked.

“She's doing fine." I replied as I drank the potion. "We talked a bit about what happened, and what we might do from now on.”

“What befell you two was terrible, but the church is there to help you.” The nurse said, giving me a reassuring smile.

The hospital was managed by the church of the goddess of life and beauty, Vinistra. She was one of the most popular deities around here, understandably so. Her followers had the duty of helping those in need, of protecting the weak, and fighting against injustice.

“I'll let you eat and rest in peace, the captain will arrive shortly.” The nurse said as she took my now empty vial and walked away.

Once I was done eating, I laid back on the bed, closing my eyes and caressing my filled stomach. Even eating was so much better now that I had a proper tongue to taste food.

Being a humanoid… is the best…

I didn't even notice that I fell asleep until I was gently shaken awake by the nurse.

“Ms. Jade, the captain is here.”

Behind her was a tall and strong elven man, wearing a suit of armor with the emblem of the city. He had a few scars visible on his face and seemed to have lived for a long time, as his hair was starting to turn gray. He was looking at me with compassionate eyes.

“Ms. Jade, I'm sorry about what happened to you and your colleagues. I sincerely wish I could have been there to prevent it.” He spoke, bowing slightly at me.

I looked away. Had he been here, maybe all of this wouldn't have happened, and my kind would still be imprisoned and tortured. I was glad it wasn't the case, but I had to hide my true feelings for now.

“You… couldn't have known.” I timidly replied

“I'm sorry to bother you so soon, while you're still recovering, but could you tell me exactly what happened?”

I timidly nodded. “I… I was in the third lab room, studying a dead cocatrix, when I heard multiple explosions. I ran out, hearing the screams of the guards and workers, but a blast from an explosive spell sent me flying against a wall, making me lose consciousness. I briefly woke up after the attack was over and tried to leave before falling a second time near the exit.”

“I see. We saw you when my team arrived. You fell before our eyes. I had two men give you first aid and carry you here.”

“Thank you, captain.” I replied, smiling at him to show my gratitude.

After writing my short testimony down, he stood up. “We will avenge those who have fallen, do not worry. A team of scouts is tracking down the mercenaries as we speak. They won't get away with this. I wish you a good recovery, Ms. Jade.”

On that, he left the room, with the nurse following him. I closed my eyes again and fell asleep one more time, finally resting properly.

What's next?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)