More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by Mogue Mogue

Meanwhile

Cast of Characters and Reference (Spoilers? Spoilers!)

Tony Sparrow: The protagonist. Studying biochemistry as a junior in college, hoping to make it big as a professional scientist when he graduates. Had a rough upbringing, though his parents tried to shield him from the worst of it; they live in a rough neighbourhood and have long had financial troubles. Tony was able to go to college on a scholarship, and his parents try to support him in any way they can.

College Characters

Louis: Tony's roommate and friend. Something of a party animal and womanizer, but under his raucous dudebro exterior is a big softie. Good at getting himself into trouble, often gets pulled out of it by Tony's intervention.

Cassandra: A sophomore political science major and ΚΗΣ member. Her family has ties to the Syndicate, which she is vaguely aware of, but she is determined to forge her own path in life. Nonetheless, she can't help but feel the gravitational pull of "the life", and is attracted to the and power it entails. Goes by "Cassie".

Marissa: A junior philosophy major, ΚΗΣ member, and friend of Cassandra. Likes Hume, hates Kant. Kan't stop talking about either.

Jessica: A senior English major , ΚΗΣ member, and friend of Cassandra. Sleeps around a bit, and hates being made to feel guilty about it. Tries to help and protect her sorority sisters as much as she can, and often suffers for it.

Mitch: Jessica's ex-boyfriend and a real asshole. Prone to fits of rage when he is drunk, and sullen plotting when he isn't.

The Syndicate

The Man in the Shadows: The mysterious man in charge of The Syndicate. Not its first and likely not its last boss, but certainly has had one of the longest reigns of any to hold the title. Has cancer, although getting the best treatment money can buy, and then some. Ordered the creation of Lab Syn to satisfy his motives.

"The Ghost": A tall, gaunt man in charge of protection and racketeering. Extorts local businesses for income. Loyal to The Man in the Shadows, and has risen through the ranks in part by virtue of being spineless when it comes to supporting the boss. Another member of the old guard, and so knows how things are done.

"Blondie": A man with a ponytail and aviator sunglasses he rarely removes. In charge of strippers, prostitution, and gambling. Has a cunning financial and legal mind, and uses these as a potent weapon, but is somewhat arrogant. Toes the line with upsetting The Man in the Shadows, but has not crossed it yet.

"The Librarian": A quiet and intelligent woman partial to sweaters, wears glasses with a strong prescription. In charge of narcotics and corporate espionage. The most powerful of the Syndicate's three officers by virtue of having no obvious weaknesses, she has direct command over Lab Syn and has already begun directing it to serve her own purposes in addition to those of The Man in the Shadows.

Lab Syn employees

Stephan Gregor: The lead researcher and administrator of Lab Syn. Serious-minded, prefers to run a tight ship. He is responsible for ensuring the lab flies under the radar while also developing at an incredibly rapid pace, and by and large manages this with aplomb. He is well aware of the Syndicate ties, being a loyal member himself, but doesn't interact much with their day to day business if he can help it.

Laura: A receptionist for Lab Syn, usually spends her days playing Solitaire on her phone and browsing social media. Sometimes has work to do, like receiving cold calls from salespeople or shooing homeless people away from the entrance via the intercom.

Sana: A biochemist and researcher for Lab Syn. A short woman of Asian descent, she has a Masters and is working on her PhD while working on LabSyn. Witty and sarcastic. She is tired of being mocked for her petite build and flat chest, which thankfully doesn't happen often in her current environment. When she is not working, enjoys long distance running.

Mark: A geneticist and researcher for Lab Syn. Specializes in gene splicing and CRISPR techniques. Grew up in Germany, and has distinct love for beer, football, and BMW motorcycles. His brown hair, hazel eyes, and stubble have broken many hearts.

Harriet: A chemical engineer and researcher for Lab Syn. In charge of the manufacturing side of things, she sets up any semi-permanent pipelines Lab Syn needs for bulk chemicals. Foul-mouthed and snarky, she doesn't like incompetence. She does enjoy junk food and playing the guitar.

Artemis: An intern and biochemist in training for Lab Syn. Like Tony, she stumbled into the role by accident, through a chance encounter with The Librarian herself, but took to the job quickly. Has a number of kinky fetishes buried deep down she shares with no one. Very competitive, and hates to lose.

Paul: A biochemist and researcher for Lab Syn. Meek but kind, he's happy to lend a helping hand to any coworkers that need it. Balding and with large glasses, he has a love of video games and model painting.

Tara: A janitor for Lab Syn. Friendly to her coworkers, and good at her job, but suspicious about the place's true purpose.

Miscellaneous

Ness Sparrow: Tony's mother. A sweet woman who splits her time between taking care of her kids and working as a gig app driver. Her charm is good at encouraging good reviews and tips, but also unwanted attention. She loves her kids and husband dearly.

Gio Sparrow: Tony's father. He loves his kids and wife dearly. A hardworking man, he works in an auto repair shop. He never went to college, but pushes all of his children to do so if they can. Strong and swarthy.

Julia Sparrow: Tony's sister. She loves her family dearly. Wants to become an animator. Taking a gap year in between high school and college, she is not yet sure whether she can get the scholarships to go but likes the idea of going. Very proud of her big brother. Classically beautiful but unconvinced, tries hard to look her best.

What's next?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)