More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by henrytemp henrytemp

Who's calling?

Carmen Mars

"Investigation Office." I answered.

"Marlowe, it's Mars, you'll never believe who's back..."

I flipped the camera over to housewares, and saw the prettiest dame these sad eyes have ever had the privilege of looking upon, Carmen Mars, a junior in college, blonde haired, blue eyed, and always looking classy. She's the girl next door's, girl next door.

"...the Toaster Bandit," she continued.

The Toaster Bandit had become a legendary shoplifter in these parts. You knew he was going to steal, he knew you knew he was going to steal. You would wait, watching, and then POP he was out of the store, toaster in hand, and gone in a blink of an eye. Mars and I had finally nabbed him 8 months earlier. Yeah I like working alone, but if you have to work with someone, she was it.

"I thought we had sent him up the river for years," I replied.

"Guess not. And more bad news, he's escalated to quesadilla makers."

"That really fries my tortilla."

I saw her get that big old smile, that face was so bright when she smiled, it could melt cheese.

"Same plan as last time?" She asked.

"Yup, give me two minutes." I replied. I grabbed Susi and put her in my holster. As I raced past Agnes I yelled out,"Toaster, call PD."

She gave me a glare that told me she would call PD, but she'd take her time.

I swiftly made my way down the escalator and took my position. I could see the Toaster Bandit taking his sweet time, as was his M.O. He scared away any employee that approached him by asking a bunch of technical questions most were too dumb to answer. But, his one weakness was Mars. And I suspect he has chosen this as his first hit to get over the fact we nailed him last time.

I'd spent days watching video after video, and finally found his tell. He takes forever, but just before he grabs and runs he reaches up and pulls at his right ear, looks left, then right. I had a radio, Mars had a radio. As soon as I saw the tell, I hit the talk button for just a moment, that was her cue. Just as he went to grab and run, she bent over and gave him a magnificent view of her ass. It made him pause enough that I could catch up to him. It also almost made me pause just enough that I didn't. It was a race to the door. I dove and grabbed him by the ankles, taking him down. But, he started kicking. I reached for Susi, but he kicked her away.

Just as I thought I'd lost him, Mars was there,straddling his chest, Susi in hand, daring him to kick again and get a face full of pepper spray. At the most convenient time for her, Agnes showed up with PD and met all the managers rushing to the scene and taking in their congratulations. As PD took over, I rolled over to my back, and Mars managed to land on top of me.

It was a moment that would have looked scandalous, if anyone had been paying attention. But, everyone was too busy paying attention to everyone else.

"Good job Marlowe," she said.

"I think you saved my ass," I replied.

"You'll find a way to repay me," she added, with that smile. She then pushed off of me and quietly got away from the commotion.

I stood and looked at him being handcuffed.

"This is a 3 strikes your out state, Toaster, and you just burned your bread for the 2nd time."

I then turned and headed back to my office, not wanting to see his face, or Agnes's any longer

Any other excitement for the day?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)