More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by Nevermore Nevermore

My name is...

Alex

Diary - Alex - Entry 1 - I am Alex. This is my diary. I must admit I am not that good in writing stories, let alone writing my own story. I would also like to write in my native tongue. Then again, if I die, and somehow this diary survives, I would like someone to understand the language it is written in. Chances are, however small, that a US-soldier will find this, long after we all died. Americans, late as ever, in every war that really matters.

As for the contents of this diary, I solemnly swear all that is written is true. If your Christian purist mind cannot handle it, give it to someone who can and stop reading. If I survive, still with my diary, I probably destroy it. If I am dead, I don’t care if the content is contrary to your system of values and norms.

To be honest, while everyone around me was extremely surprised at the turning of these devastating events, leading to this war, I wasn’t. I always believed this would happen, ever since I first opened a book about Nostradamus. To be fair, his interpreters often were wrong, but after reading the original texts, I believed the end times were nigh. First there would be a man with curly hair as king of the big country west of the great ocean, then one with blond hair, then the last would be an old one. Further readings of other prophecies pinpointed more or less the exact year and season of the war.

So, as soon as Christmas was over I started to prepare. Gathering food and water first, then other supplies. In the meantime I trained myself. My physique was somewhat lacking back then. After eight months of fitness my body was finally agreeing with me to do what I would ask of it. I felt younger, well, young-ish. Just in time it seemed.

I remember doing a job for a client, cleaning up her garden as the news broke that suddenly the Russians invaded Ukraine again. Further news alerts spoke of a triple at a peace conference between Russia, Ukraine, the EU and the US. Everyone started to panic and at the same time watching in disbelief the news, hoping the invasion would end at the EU border.

A small part in me was also watching in disbelief as I often believed I was nuts to think that my fantasy prophecies would come true, rather than being just a fantasy to motivate myself to get into shape. Women were not flocking around me, I can tell you that. To tell you the truth I was getting a bit lonely back then, and due to viewing and reading a lot of porn becoming quite the pervert in my mind.

For once the politicians in my country took immediate and forceful actions. A full mobilization of the army was gathered. They realized that not much of it was left after the endless budgeting of the Department of Defense, lacking in everything and everyone. Recruitment started. Weapon and munition factories had to deliver directly to the army. Recruitment centers sprung up in every city and suburb and every student in health professions were specifically asked to join recruitment.

It so happened that one of my clients had a daughter, studying to become a physician. Quite a beauty I must add. Her mother became very anxious that her daughter would have to join up in the end. First the government asks nicely, but if not enough people listen, they then forcefully apply their measures. It was a principle of governing we learned all too well during the recent corona pandemic.

A week after the second invasion of Ukraine it became clear that the Russians would not stop at the European border. They invaded Moldavia, made quick work of the small nation and raced to the next country in their plans. A day later they stormed into Bulgaria. Article 5 of the NATO pact was invoked and the third world war was a fact. News of the behavior of the Russian soldiers towards citizens came on screen in every household in Europe. Bombarding villages, cities, running over refugees on the roads in their tanks, pillaging and mass of every women they deemed attractive enough to fulfill their animalistic needs. If the Russians would get to us, they would certainly do the same here. The invasion happened way too fast to be able to flee. With the resistance so far they would be here in a month. Probably less time as they didn’t bother to occupy every big village or city. They raced through Bulgaria and if any city on the way gave too much of an annoyance, the Reds would simply bombard it heavily while evading it in their tanks and troop carriers.

So in less than a week a lot of people joined the army. And yes, those recruited in the smaller villages were kept together in various platoons formed on the spot. A wise move as it would enhance group cohesion in a country that is the least cohesive of the whole world. A lot of platoons in the big cities got regular army officers as their platoon leaders. In the small villages not so many were available and in decent condition.

I joined too. Despite being fully stocked for months. Yes, I was an idiot and joined the army to fight. I thought I had something to contribute, something useful or meaningful to do. At least something more meaningful in my life that I thought to be almost a waste of space. That, or the glances I would get from any citizen in my neighborhood, sometimes wondering aloud why I didn’t join up, being fit as I was. Sometimes too much preparation will get you in trouble. - End entry 1

Further into the rabbit hole.

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)