More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by marianparoo marianparoo

What breaks up her routine?

A party invitation

"Excuse, um... Miss Dewey?" A student has appeared in front of her. Clearly a freshman, even if he weren't wearing a ballcap that identified him as a fraternity pledge. He's a beefy 5'10" but doesn't look like he's done growing, with dark brown hair and a beard that hasn't really started, and somehow seems scared of the librarian he's standing over. As she raises her eyes, she notices he's holding note cards in shaky hands. She tries not to let her smile progress to condescension as she responds.

"Yes. How may I help you? Please bear in mind that the library is closing very soon."

"Oh, um, sure... Miss Dewey, I'm Jimmy, a pledge from Phi Upsilon" - she nods; it's obvious, and this poor kid needs encouragement - "and, uh... I've been sent to invite you to our" -- he looks down at his notes -- "our 'Staff Appreciation' event tonight. It's, uh... it's All You Can Eat..." A look crosses his face at "Staff Appreciation" that she can't quite place; it's quickly replaced with his usual shy embarrassment.

He hands her a flyer. It's crudely made, but most Greek flyers are. It indicates a start time shortly after the library closes. "Thank you, Jimmy. I'm flattered, but I've never been to a party at a frat house before, and I'm not certain it's appropriate to start now..." Seeing his disappointment, she quickly backpedals. "But, um... this is a staff event?" He nods. "Hmm... that might be all right. I'll think about it while I close up, okay?" He smiles, nods, and steps aside. She doesn't notice him watching her until she reaches the elevator.

She thinks it over as she makes her rounds to close up for the night. On the one hand, it was largely by choice that she never made it to a frat party as a student; overloud music and too much were never her idea of a great night. On the other hand, she hasn't had a whole lot of social opportunity recently, and if other staff will be there, they can decide together if it turns out to be inappropriate...

As she locks the doors, she's surprised to see Jimmy leaning on a lamppost next to her car. He waves when he sees her. "I, uh... I realized you might not know where the frat house is..." She doesn't, in fact; she knows what part of campus the frat houses are on, but not which is which. "Uh, if you've decided to come, that is..."

"That's very kind of you. And I *have* decided..."

Does she decide to attend the party?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)