More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 3 by vinaren vinaren

What's next?

A mysterious package

The door bell's ring disrupted John Doe's sleep. In the half-sleep state, he walked downstair, opened the door... and found no one.

Damn it! Who pulls this prank?

At that moment, his leg hit something. He bowed down and found a package. There's nothing on it indicate the sender. Normally he would throw it directly to the trash can, but today, for unknown reasons, he brought it inside.

After removing the wrap, a game box appeared. The text on it read:

"Zathura: A Space Adventure", also known as "Zathura: Adventure Is Waiting" or simply "Zathura", is a wholly remarkable game. Perhaps the most remarkable, certainly the most successful game ever to come out of the Great Toy Manufactures of Ursa Major – it may perhaps be one of greatest games ever produced in Galactic History.

More popular than the Marbie the Martian's Celestial House Playset, better selling than Fifty-Three More Things to do in Zero Gravity, more enjoyable than the Three Dimensional Tic-Tac-Toe, more challenging than Four-Dimensional Time Lord Chess and more controversial than a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure Holosuite Program with the Safety Off!

Many of the civilizations, especially more relaxed ones, on the Outer Eastern Rim of the Galaxy to Inner Western Rim of the Galaxy, the Zathura have already supplanted both Holosuites and visits to the Local Zoo as the Number One on the List of Family Weekend Activities!

While it is unfortunately true that all version of Zathura has been legalized throughout civilized space by the Old Republic and then systemically destroyed by its successor the Galactic Empire, that there is one last remaining and functional copy of the game in the entire Milky Way Galaxy. Which somehow has ended up far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western Middle Rim of the Galaxy, in a fairly uninteresting part of the galaxy called the Orion Quadrant, deep within the Orion Spiral Arm, lies a bland solar system called the Sol System. This bland solar system with his a small unrewarded yellow sun and with eight uninspiring planets is so uninspiring, so bland, so uninteresting and so unfashionable that no one in Galaxy has never bothered to go there, for it had little military, strategic or even economic value.

Orbiting this at a distance of roughly ninety-two million miles is an utterly insignificant little blue-green planet, whose is inhabited by ape-descended life forms called Humans that are so amazingly primitive that they named their ugly mudball of a planet Earth, a name so uncreative, so dull, make you almost wonder that kind morons they are.

On that pitiful little planet a "Zathura - Deluxe Edition" has arrived, and while this version lacks any of safety features or safety instructions that the widely available "Zathura - Standard Edition" had, it scores over the older, more pedestrian version of the game in three important respects.

FIRST, it's dirt cheap; SECONDLY, contains every single the expansion modules that were ever created for this game; and THIRDLY, it has the words DON'T PANIC printed in large friendly letters on its back cover of the box."

John Doe frowned. As a college student, he's way past the age of playing this. However, when looking at the game, he suddenly had a thought: Give it a try won't hurt.

Pressing the START button, a message appeared on the screen:

"Please choose the game mode:"

Choose the game mode.

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)