More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by aika092 aika092

What's the 'quirk'?

A focus on sex, of course!

"Ah, yes." The Lead Scientist stands alongside the Director as they admire the impressive-looking machine. "The quirk."

He touches the fingers of his hands together at the tips. "You are aware of the core functionality of the Improbability Drive. That it creates an Improbability Field around it at the set level of probability, which causes things with that exact likelihood to occur."

"I am the main driving of this entire initiative." The Director says dryly. "Of course I know the basics of what I am working to fund."

"Of course." The scientist says awkwardly, and then coughs. "Well, as of right now, the vast majority of the improbable events are rather... intimate in nature."

"You mean sexual. Sex events." The Director cuts through the delicate phrasing to get to the point.

"Yes, I'm afraid so."

"Do you know why?"

"We have our theories. It's likely some sort of mistake with the intern's code. But, well, it's drunk intern code. It's very challenging to even understand how it works, never mind debug it."

"But you can fix it."

"Yes, probably. Eventually."

"Keep working on that. But for now, I want a demonstration."

"In that case, we should probably enter the control room, so that we are shielded from the Improbability Field."

"Understood."

The two enter the small room with glass walls and close the door. There's a hiss as the room becomes hermetically sealed.

"The most straightforward test is with a computer tablet that travels to randomly selected websites."

A tablet, held by a robotic arm, is lowered down in front of them, on the other side of the glass. On the screen, a different website is auotmatically being opened every half a second. Over the course of 10 seconds, only one of the sites it travels to is adult in nature.

"Let's set the improbability field at... 2 to the power of 20 to 1 against." The scientist turns a dial.

There's a loud hum for a moment, which then dies down again. The Director looks at the tablet. Every single website being chosen is now a porn site.

"Wow. That is... well, it sure is something. What happens if you turn it higher?"

The scientist turns the dial at little, causing another brief hum. "The dial increases the odds exponentially. We are now at 2 to the power of 100 to 1 against."

The tablet now switches between adult websites with a specific focus on animated cartoon pornography of women with penises.

"Fascinating. And how far does the field reach?"

"The strength of the field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the drive. The security door is still open. So, people on the street nearby may be experiencing some minor sexual anomalies right now, such as unwanted erections, or pop-ups on their devices. There would be nothing notable beyond our immediate vicinity in the city centre. Two of our scientists, Arthur and Fenchurch, are in the lab right now. I'd wager that Arthur just accidentally stumbled and his hand fall onto Fenchurch's chest, or something like that. We should probably close that door before we proceed."

"Please leave the door open. That new security system seems rather temperamental. I don't want to get trapped in here."

"As you wish, but then we won't be able to turn it up high."

"What could happen if you did?"

"This thing can go very, very high, Director. If turned up high enough, the entire city would likely be affected. Those on the outskirts would experience weird accidents like mistakenly touching someone in a place they didn't mean to. Those nearby could experience events that are so ridiculously improbable that they would be considered conventionally impossible. People would be convinced that supernatural events were occurring, or acts of God. When we tried a high setting before, with the door closed, the door's security system was transformed into the bizarre genital scanning thing you just saw."

"Interesting. Let's test your hypothesis then."

"We may, in good time, after careful planning, and-"

"I don't have any patience for your internal ethics board to 'um' and 'ah' about this for a decade or three. Do it now, or I'll find someone else to lead your team who will."

The scientist baulks. "Ma'am, this could be legitimately dangerous. If things go wrong and we're discovered-"

"Let me worry about little things like that. Your job is to demonstrate to me the full power of your new invention. NOW."

Something about way that last word was spoken with cold intolerance compels the scientist to obey. Gulping, he slowly but surely turns up the dial.

"That's better. Now... The Channel 4 news studio is just a block away from here. I'm going to watch them live and see what happens." The Director takes out her phone. "Turn the dial up and down as I instruct, and we'll log the probablity level in here against the exact time, and a description of the events in the newsroom. By the end of the day, I plan to have a report that the board can't ignore."


Elsewhere in the city, you are currently having quite a normal day, so far. Who are you, and how close are you to the Improbability Drive as the field is gradually strengthened?

Who are you, and where are you?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)