More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by ArdesCadaver ArdesCadaver

Should I just enjoy the sandwich, or do I have more alluring ambitions?

[Cheatsheet of key terms, for authors - Spoilers!]

If you're going to add chapters to this story, try not to stray too far away from the original semantics of these terms. They are the plot's main framework. You can of course add rules at your leisure, as long as they don't contradict anything here.


- Disciple

A Released who aspires to become a member of Phantom Window. They undertake special duties, the most important of which is manning the order's temples.

- Mullion

A place of residence and community for the Released. Necessarily home to a temple which is dedicated to Phantom Window. It is here that Released call upon their order, or ordain under them.

- Phantom Window

A secretive worldwide monastic order. Universally accepted. A step above their Released in power and influence, they have the ability to Release the Shackled and to become universally accepted by the Released in addition to the Shackled. There are two ways of joining Phantom Window: Either by starting out as a Released and ordaining as a monk or nun under them, or by Releasing oneself through meditation practice. The latter is a rare and almost impossible feat.

- Released

A person who has been made universally accepted by Phantom Window. "They know you're there, they just don't care." A Released can catch the attention of a Shackled the usual way, by talking to them, waving at them, etc. while at the same time intending to be noticed. Most released fall to a life of hedonism, although some choose to pursue nobler goals.

- Shackled

An ordinary person. Someone who's isn't universally accepted. The term is only known among those who are universally accepted, for obvious reasons.

- Universal acceptance

When a person or object is unconditionally accepted as something that is completely unremarkable and not worth one's concern. In short, a universally accepted entity cannot in any way influence the emotions of a Shackled. Due to having no impact on emotion, universally accepted entities are forgotten by all Shackled shortly after they are no longer being sensed.

Please don't add new chapters under this one

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)