More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by Acorn142 Acorn142

Who will you start with?

Queen Caroline

Caroline, Queen of Mirantia, reached for her husband and found his side of the bed empty. This was the third time this week, and she knew where to find him.

Rising, and putting on her robe, the Queen made her way to the adjoining room used as the King’s private study. As she passed the mirror, she paused to inspect herself. Now in her 40th year, she was still the image of youthful beauty and charm that captured Malcolm’s heart so many years ago.

She stepped into the study, and, as she expected, she found her husband sitting in a chair, his brow furrowed in concentration.

“You must come to bed, my love. This is the third night this week you have stayed up, worrying yourself.”

The King rubs his eyes and smiles tiredly at his wife. “I’m sorry, Dear. It weighs mightily on me that the relations with Obscuria continue to deteriorate. Here is the latest report from our emissary, who says his every effort to reach out to Queen Imperia are met with resistance and insults. It is as if she wants war.”

Caroline takes the report from Malcolm’s hand and reads. “Obscuria is such a mysterious land,” she muses. “Strange that they share a border with us, yet we know next to nothing about them.”

“It is a backwards and perverse land,” says the King. “Our emissary has sent reports of the most unseemly customs.”

“Such as their custom of only allowing women to rule?” Caroline asks, with just a hint of reproval.

The King glances at his wife with a half smile. “Of course not. You know me better than that, my dear. I am not one of those who thinks women are unsuited for intellectual pursuits.”

“And yet our eldest child is relegated to third in line to the throne, superceded by her younger brothers,” says the Queen. “And while Stewart and Duncan study political science, military strategy, and diplomacy, Adella and I spend our days hosting tea parties for the wives of noblemen.”

“I do not care for the custom any more than you do, Dear, but there is only so much change I can accomplish at any given time. To undo the law of primogeniture now would add an element of uncertainty in the people’s minds just when we need their support the most.”

“So what is it about Obscuria’s customs that our emissary finds so ‘backward and perverse’?”

“They are terribly permissive and loose with their morals,” says the King with disgust. “I have a report I will spare you from reading to protect your delicate sensibilities, but it tells of women — young and old — cavorting about with men, having multiple sexual partners, and generally behaving as if they are....”

“As if they are men? Is that what you were going to say?”

The King begins to protest, but the Queen holds a finger to his lips.

“What you describe is what happens here, but you don’t see any problem with it because it happens with the males. We have lost track of how many sexual conquests our sons could boast about, but you practically keep Adella locked in the castle, and when she does go out, you have her surrounded by guards so you ‘can protect her virtue.’”

“Well, the boys are just being boys,” the King explains, “but Adella....”

“Adella is just as interested in men as our sons are in women. We have no thought of any need to present our sons in marriage as virgins, but if Adella’s hymen is not intact on her wedding night, you would consider it a personal dishonor.”

“Caroline! Such language from your mouth! I am shocked!”

“Were you as shocked when you were a young prince? How many young women did you devirginize before you married me? Was it so shocking then?”

“Dear, you are just fatigued. I don’t know what’s getting into you? Why all this talk now of disrupting a system that has served us well for countless centuries?”

“Has it served is well, Malcolm? Look at this report from your emissary. I wager he is as much to blame for the problems as Imperia is; he probably is incapable of seeing their culture as anything other than backward and perverse, and if that is his attitude, it’s no wonder their queen will have nothing to do with him. Hear me on this: you will get much further with a woman as an emissary to Obscuria.”

“A woman?” exclaims the king, but then falls deep into thought. “Perhaps you are right, my love. A woman may make more progress than a man in a society such as that. But we have no women trained for such delicate diplomatic work.”

The queen considers this a moment. “I will do it. Send me, as your special emissary. By sending the consort of the Sovereign, you will show Imperia how much you honor her as a fellow monarch. She will know that I speak with your authority, and the two of us will be able to communicate — woman-to-woman.”

The king ponders this. “There is much in what you say, but it troubles me greatly. Having you so far away, I’d want to send an entire division of my finest soldiers to protect you.”

“That’s sweet, my dear, but hardly necessary. Do you send protection for your emissary now? And has he ever been molested in his travels? You must treat me as you would him.”

“But I cannot send you alone.”

“Agreed. I think Adella should come with me.”

“Adella? Whatever for?”

“Women are highly valued in this society, remember? What greater impact could you have than to send your Queen and your firstborn, the Princess Royal? Besides, it will give Adella and me both some time together and away from this castle. It will let her experience the world before you marry her off in exchange for a treaty with another land.”

“I feel I will come to regret this,” says the king. “Diplomacy requires just the right touch.”

“Oh, but you know I’m right,” says Caroline, bending down and nibbling on her husband’s ear. “You have always complimented me on my touch, haven’t you?” Her hand moves deliberately up the king’s thigh, causing his breathing to speed up.

“You have almost persuaded me,” he says, standing up and scooping his wife in his arms. “I will think on this and decide tomorrow. First, I have something far more important to attend to...” He begins carrying her into the adjoining bedchambers, kissing her as he does.

He sets his Queen gently on the bed and opens her robe, exposing her breasts that have retained their firmness, despite having suckled three children. He pauses, and asks, “Wouldn’t it be better if one of the boys goes with you? Or at least one of the royal guards?”

The queen pulls her husband’s face down between her breasts and says, “Why don’t we talk about that later?”

Settle the matter now or wait until morning?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)