More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by Shandy Shandy

Who are you?

Mason Carter, 48 year old teacher restarting his career

The cab lets you out in front of the impressive grey stone facade of Pink Rose Academy. You pay the driver and recover your suitcase from the trunk before heading up the stairs to the massive double doors.

From the top of the steps you take a moment to survey the building and grounds. Immaculately kept, the place looks every bit the prestigious school it's reputation claims. You take a deep breath, wondering for the hundredth time why you've been hired.

There's no question about your academic credentials, nor about your abilities as a teacher. But there is also no question that for nearly ten years you slowly sank into a swamp of alcoholic despair that got you fired from one job and then another until your career was all but destroyed. Even after you got your drinking under control, your reputation was such that no jobs were open to you, and you took work as a a labourer to keep yourself afloat.

You hadn't even known about the opening here, and wouldn't have considered applying if you had, not wanting the formulaic rejection you've seen so many times. The letter inviting you to an interview had come as a shock, and you had first considered it a practical joke before a phone call assured you it was serious. You had been even more surprised when the job was offered to you, and while you welcome the chance to restart your career, you feel a sense of trepidation about the future.

You're 48 years old, and while your face shows some marks of dissipation, your body is in decent shape thanks to the manual labour you've been doing.

You've been hired to teach biology, and while you have every confidence in your ability as a teacher and knowledge of the subject, you have doubts about whether this school is the place to attempt a comeback. You take a last look around, then pull the door open and step into the school

What's first on the agenda?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)