More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by Penwriter Penwriter

Creation of Avatar (name, occupation, race);Army(race, faction);World of choosing

Marcus Antares (Brigadier of the Kollective State, Human); Kollective Military (Human, Sci-Fi Soviet); World War Robot

So you died. And are now being reborn. To be honest, you thought heaven/hell would look different than this generic void, but here you are standing in front of a handy character generation display out of a RPG game. Credit where it was due, whoever developed this interface certainly knew how to make reincarnation easy…...and a few button presses revealed it was also very open to user input on the scale of a world. To a point, this was evidently oriented to make you a player in a RTS game and not Peasant #2849 in some fantasy kingdom, and not even have the option of considering anything less than being a commander. Must be some quota in the reincarnation system. Fair enough, beats your old boring life.

On a whim, you decide to start plugging in worldbuilding notes from a certain sci-fi setting you were on-and-off tinkering with. And as it turned out, you could go to/make such a world and universe if you wanted. One where even with the power to crank out troops like a RTS game you were far from dominant and were still beholden to higher authority, at least at the start. Just as well, you didn’t like those isekai stories with OP protagonists beholden to noone anyway. You still had a edge in gamer mechanics versus local competitors though.

The world you will enter is an alt-Earth, just after the Golden Age of Mankind was shattered by the rebellion of it's AI servants. While total nuclear armageddon was averted with the heroics of a brave few and remnants of ancient anti-ballistic missile defenses, the world was still sent into a dark age by the nukes that did fall and the viruses that were sent throughout the networks that survived. Mankind was to regress a century in technology as it shut down networks, stripped out automation, and purged the machine from it's societies in a bid to survive what is now called "World War Robot".

The greatest state to have survived the rebellion's bloody early days was the Kollective State, formerly the poorest country of the Golden Age that was barely affected by the machine rebellion due to not using them in the first place, now the greatest stronghold of mankind against the cruel automata. Contact with the other nations is scarce to nonexistant, and it must be assumed that the State fights alone. Brave men and women of the State fight in mighty warmachines and toil in the factories day and night, while strategists in NeoMoskova plot the great moves to one day reclaim the world from the AI. It is a brutal total war, where mighty warmachines and heroes of both sides may clash on one battlefield, where another has devolved into trench warfare and bayonet duels between conscripts and refitted workbots on the whims of logistics and industry as both sides strain to match and surpass the other's strengths.

And in the midst of this war came you, a newly minted field commander by the name of Marcus Antares about to assume command of a frontier battalion. Skilled in leadership, tactics, logistics, and with ruggedly handsome good looks that helped win over ladies in uniform inbetween battles, you have no doubt that you will become someone great in short order as you step in right as the Automata begin a new and unusual offensive.

While a flurry of unit options present themselves as whatever game system behind this reincarnation latches onto the world at war you envisioned, you focus on simple and early units to fill out the ranks of your battalion to begin with. The rest you can work on acquiring or developing later.

  1. Fresh Conscript Infantry: Freshly conscripted and hastily trained rifle platoons armed with the reliable ADK-200 rifle. Low morale and training, but cheap and readily available and replaceable. Almost for free to boot.
  2. Field Engineers: Humble, reliable worker units that handled the logistics work and fortification-building of any field battalion. Can also do some demolitions work if pressed to the front.
  3. Citizen's Militia: Rag-tag assembled groups of factory workers and townspeople conscripted to fight off invasion into their homes. Their limited training is offset by supplemental heavy weaponry they took with them from the factory such as laser cannons and motorized vehicles with support weapons bolted on.
  4. Anvil Tanks: Crude, ugly, and deadly tanks with two heavy cannons and thick armor. While on the older side compared to most Kollective tanks, that simply means they can be mass-produced by even low-level manufacturing plants on the frontlines and have no electronics to hack.
  5. Basilisk-class Light Artillery: Lightweight autoloading field guns that can be brought up and deployed for fire support whenever and wherever needed at a low cost and bulk deployment.

Satisfied with how your army is beginning to shape up, you set aside your last few points for a few cosmetic tweaks like a 3:1 female-male population ratio (lots of guys already died at the front, women either fight, work, or breed), overall attractiveness boost, a chance for Automata fun (in both tactical and recreational ways), some starting resources, and insurance that the Automata threat you will face will not be a overwhelming off the bat. Yet.

Looking over your choices and worldbuilding, you feel satisfied with your choices and begin the process of reincarnation. Thus begins your new life at war.....

Where does your story begin?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)