Culture Shock from the Future

How a young woman finds herself in a future she never expected

Chapter 1 by CON2H4 CON2H4

"beep beep beep" the noise was constant in Zoë's ears. But where was it coming from? Where was she? She was barely conscious. She couldn't see much, or move much.

She remembered the skiing trip in the Alps. Quite the dangerous trip. Her mother had warned her not to go, and she was thinking she should have heeded the advice when she was buried under an avalanche.

Question is, was she dead? Was this the afterlife?

She heard some strange voices, she couldn't understand what they were saying. They sounded relived, as if they'd found out somebody had survived something.

"Zoë, or at least I take it that's your name?" said a smooth, calming voice.

"Who are you and how did you know?"

"We found your passport in your possession. You have been found and rescued. You are currently at a hospital in what you would call Northern Italy. Although you have been frozen for 1,004 years and 320 days. In this time all nations are so integrated they effectively act as if they were a single nation. The language has also changed A LOT. I am going to have to teach you the language as I am one of few who can speak to you. Anyway, how rude of me to not introduce myself. I am Jack. I am an artificial intelligence who had been operational for 34 years, 2 days, 3 hours, and 57 minutes. I have spent much of my career. Assisting Dr Ling in her studies of 21st century language and culture. This is how I know your language, and this is why I was selected to help you adjust to this world."

"Ok" croaked Zoë. She found enough energy to lift her head; open her eyes; and look around to see...

What does Zoë see?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)