More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by Maxwelzal Maxwelzal

What's next?

Flight

The airplane is medium in size. By just looking, you guess that it probably is meant to accommodate around one hundred to one hundred fifty passengers. It is grey, the motors on either side painted a brilliant green. A long dark blue stripe streaks across its side. The logo and name of the company that owns and operates the airplane are clearly marked across its flank, taking up most of the available space. A large crest that looks like a sea serpent devouring another smaller serpent is embroidered in gold and silver paint and sprawls across the back-end of the plane. The text reads “Tonobari Airlines”.

As you and Anna board the plane, the pilot and flight attendants greet you with warm smiles and the shaking of hands. Entering the passenger area, you notice several other groups of people who have already taken their seats. Passing them by, you locate your spot and situate yourselves. You are seated several rows before the plane's midsection. People continue boarding for about ten minutes, until finally at last, everyone is accounted for.

The takeoff goes without a hitch and within twenty minutes the plane is airborne and en route to your destination. Leaning back in your chair, you look out your window for a brief moment then turn your head toward Anna, as the warmth of her hand clasping yours pulls your attention away from the view. She looks you in the face for a second, uncertainty clouding her blue eyes, then asks,

Annabel: “Are you... happy we’re going? ...I know I pushed for this trip, but we didn’t have to go so far if you didn’t want to.…”

You think for a moment, then smile to yourself.

You: “…Do you remember when I asked you out on our first date back in high school?”

Annabel looks puzzled.

Annabel: “What?”

She sits up in her seat a bit.

You: “I remember how nervous I was waiting to hear your response, but you suddenly got flustered and left in a hurry.”

Her face flushes a little and she fretfully looks around at the other passengers, who show little interest. Speaking in a hushed whisper she says,

Annabel: “John, that’s embarrassing… Why are you bringing that up now? Of all things?”

You continue undaunted.

You: “It was a Friday after school. We had only just recently begun talking on a regular basis, so we hadn't yet exchanged numbers. I'd assumed you weren't interested and shot me down, so I ended up spending the whole weekend by myself sulking.”

Anna tilts her head, a concerned but sympathetic frown on her face.

Annabel: “I... I didn’t realize I'd hurt you so much… I was so preoccupied with my own emotions at the time that I didn't even considered it... I’m sorry I made you feel that way.”

She tries to comfort you, but you hold her off for a bit.

You: “Here's the thing though. That very next Monday morning in Mr. Venterwelt's class, you completely obliterated all my sadness and worry. You actually came up to me, asking for the time and place we'd be going for our date! Do you have any idea how happy that made me?”

She smiles warmly.

You: “That's why of course Anna, I’d be happy going anywhere and everywhere with you! Especially if it's to help you. If you wanted to go to the ends of the Earth together, I’d sell our house and book us a flight on the spot!”

Annabel gives you a pretend look of worry, trying not to giggle.

Annabel: “But- but then where would we live?… We’d be homeless!”

You chuckle,

You: “That wouldn’t matter in the slightest to me! ...Anna... I want you to know that I could never -never- hope to find greater happiness than what I feel when I'm with you.”

Annabel sighs and leans her head against your shoulder, you accept the gesture by resting your head on hers.

A moment passes.

Annabel: “You know you’re...”

Annabel acts like she's looking for the right words.

Annabel: “...a total moron, right?”

You laugh at this.

You: “I must be doing something right! I mean, you did agreed to marry me after all.”

As the morning progresses into afternoon you feel the slight tug of weariness pull at your eyelids, not the result of sleeplessness but instead caused by all the hubbub and turmoil preparing for this adventure had stirred up. You glance at Anna to see that she has already succumb to sleep’s embrace. You check behind you to make sure you don't disturb anyone seated there, then recline your chair back a bit. Folding your hands across your stomach you allow yourself a moment to relax, it’s been quite a while since you were able to feel completely at ease like this.

You drift to sleep.

What's next?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)