More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by Shandy Shandy

What do you do?

Do nothing for now.

You decide to wait until later to make a decision about Meghan. You have work to do, and it isn't going to get done sitting around thinking about disciplining her. You turn your attention back to some reports.

Twenty minutes later there's a rap on your door frame and you look up to see the elegantly dressed form of James Gavin, the senior vice-president of the company and Meghan's grandfather.

"Hello John," he says, smiling. "Sorry I'm a bit late for our meeting." He strides across the floor, and, trying to hide your puzzlement, you rise to shake his hand.

He looks at you quizzically as he takes a seat, sensing your confusion. "I asked Meghan yesterday if your calendar was clear for a meeting this morning, and when she told me it was, I told her to set aside half an hour so we could go over the Cornelius account. Didn't she put it in your calendar?"

"I didn't see anything when I checked it this morning, let me double check." You open the daily calendar window on your computer and as you remember, the morning is completely free. "Nothing there at all."

He frowns. "That girl is ridiculous. Call her in, if you would John."

"Meghan, I need you in my office right now," you call and a moment later she is standing in your doorway. She's a very petite redhead, needing her three inch heels to push her an inch or two over five feet. Today she's wearing an orange dress that comes to mid-thigh and looks painted on her nicely curved body. It's scoop neck collar shows the swellings of some attractive cleavage.

She smiles in her usual kittenish way. "Yes John? Hello Grandfather."

He looks at her with a stony face. "Come in and shut the door, girl. Stand over here where we can both see you." He points to a spot beside your desk. She complies, biting her lower lip nervously.

"I spoke to you yesterday about putting a meeting on Mr. Chandler's calendar for this morning. Much to his and my mutual embarrassment, we find that you didn't do this, and as a result, the meeting will have to be rescheduled, wasting both our time, and causing inconvenience to the company."

She flushes with embarrassment, looking sheepish and holding her hands in front of her. "I'm sorry, I forgot. I got distracted because there was a phone call and I meant to remember to do it, but I forgot." She tries a flicker of a smile at him, but his face remains unchanged.

"Very well. I understand from earlier conversations I've had with Mr. Chandler that your work is quite unsatisfactory. Tardiness, careless errors, personal calls on company time, the list goes on and on. I've asked him to be patient with you, in hopes that you would learn, but evidently, that was a foolish hope."

"Grandfather..." she begins, but he raises a hand to silence her.

"Don't interrupt me child. You have presumed on my familial affection, and betrayed it with folly. I had doubts about taking you on, because I thought you were a flighty, irresponsible child, but I did it as a favor to you equally foolish mother. No more. My protection of you is at an end."

Her face crumples in shock and apprehension "Please Grandfather, I want to keep this job, please!"

"Do you? Well you have a peculiar way of showing it. Here is my decision. Today is Wednesday. You have until the end of next week to improve your standards to the satisfaction of Mr. Chandler or he has my permission to fire you. That gives you eight days. Do you understand, child?"

Tears are starting to form in her eyes but she nods her head. "Yes, Grandfather."

"I know that Mr. Chandler has been very tolerant of your mistakes, and I blame myself for protecting you and not taking a hand sooner. In my younger days a secretary who behaved as you did would be fired, or frankly, spanked." A reminiscent smile flickers across his face and for a moment he appears to be enjoying some pleasant reverie, but then his eyes return to the present and he rises.

"Well, I think that's cleared matters up. Mr. Chandler, I'd like to meet with you tomorrow afternoon at two about the account. Meghan, I think you have a lot of work to do. Good morning, I'll see myself out." He strides across the floor and leaves, closing the door behind him. Meghan stares after him, her face shocked and worried.

What's next?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)