More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by moonblack moonblack

What are you?

An NPC

You’re a simple, low-level NPC. For a long time you had nothing to worry about. Sure, life was boring because you had to do the same things over and over again, but at least you were safe from all danger. The worst that could happen to you was to get insulted by a rude "hero". Then came the new expansion and everything changed.

Someone had decided that the town where you live was too boring and needs to be made a bit more attractive for the players. So a new event was added: A Monster event where a group of monsters attacks the town at irregular intervals. Each time the group consists of different monsters, selected seemingly at random based on the levels of the characters in the vicinity of the town.

On its own the event is not a bad thing. The problem is that during the event the town counts as just another danger zone, no different from all the other areas where players fight monsters. Because of that any and all NPCs in town can be killed during the event – by both sides. Apparently the programmer working on the event thought that it would be a bit more interesting if the players had to protect the NPCs. Unfortunately an idea that sounds good in theory is not always good in practice. The players know that any NPC killed during the will re-spawn once the town is safe again, and so they just don’t care. In fact, over 80% of all NPC deaths are the work of careless "heroes", since the monsters are focused on the characters and only attack NPCs that get in their way.

You have survived a total of just four assaults. You stopped counting after #20 so you’re not sure how many times you have died, but it’s definitely a lot, and you’ve had enough. This time you are going to come up with a way to not die any more. But what can an NPC like you do?

What kind of NPC are you?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)