More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by The Archmaester The Archmaester

Who are you?

Aegon the Summer King

Aegon was bored. His half-brother Jon was currently training with the legendary Sword of the Morning in the courtyard of the Red Keep, while he was stuck in yet another dull Small Council meeting. He had been crowned a week ago yet this felt like the hundredth council meeting he attended.

One of the downside of being the ruler of the most powerful nation in the world is having to listen to pompous old men argue over how to best rule the realm.

With some maesters predicting that the coming winter will be the longest in living memory, his father, King Rhaegar attempted to form a trade alliance with the Free Cities in order to secure Westeros' food supply. However while he was with his brother Viserys in the Free City of Pentos, Rhaegar caught a fever and died within a few days.

Aegon knew that many in the realm believed he was incapable of wearing his father's crown so he tried his best to pay attention to his councillors but today he could barely stop his eyes from closing. If only his sister, Rhaenys hadn't keep him up all n...

"Your Grace, there is another delicate matter that requires your undivided attention." said Lord Jon Connington, the Hand of the King

"What is it my lord?" Aegon said with very little interest, sipping the dornish wine his uncle had smuggled into the Small Council chamber.

"Your marriage." Lord Jon said nonchalantly which caused Aegon to nearly choked on his wine much to the amusement of his uncle, Prince Oberyn Martell of Dorne.

"Dont be so surprised, my dear nephew, your father and mother were already married at your age." said the Dornishman, "I remember on my twentieth nameday, I had already sired four children and in fact I do believe that two of them were actually conceived on the same day."

"Prince Oberyn!!! The Small Council is not the place to share stories of your sexual conquests!" said the elderly Grandmaester Pycelle, with a hint of jealousy in his voice.

Despite the shock, Aegon quickly regained his composure. He knew that as the king, he would have to settle down and dial back on his hedonistic lifestyle. Most royals was betroth at an early age but King Rhaegar wanted all of his children to marry for love, just as he had.

"Im sure you've already compiled a list of potential candidates?" Aegon asked the Lord Hand, knowing him all too well.

"Actually yes, my king." Lord Jon replied and passed on a small parchment with a list of names most of whom Aegon knew personally. His dornish cousin, Princess Arianne Martell. Jaehaerys' maternal cousins, the twins Arya & Sansa Stark. The famed Rose of Highgarden, Margaery Tyrell. And...

"Myrcella Baratheon?" Aegon asked, he was surprised that the list included the heir of King Rhaegar's rival. "Do you really believe that Lord Robert would even approve?"

"Well, a royal marriage may heal the wounded pride of Lord Robert and my little birds sing songs of Lady Myrcella's beauty." whispered the bald spymaster, Lord Varys the Spider.

"Robert may also take offense to this." Said the usually quiet Lord Stannis Baratheon. "Myrcella is his only child and heir. He could see this as an attempt to take her birthright from her and pass it on to me. And dont forget, he feasted for three days when he heard of King Rhaegar's . Do you truly want someone like that for a father-in-law?"

"The choice is clear." spat Prince Viserys, Aegon's paternal uncle. He only had a seat at the Small Council since he was the former king's brother. "Aegon is blood of the dragon. He should keep our bloodline pure and marry Princess Rhaenys!"

The entire Small Council fell quiet. Aegon could feel all of their eyes on him as they waited for his reaction. Princess Rhaenys was King Rhaegar's eldest child but unlike her brother, she was more viper than dragon and had very little valyrian blood. Aegon knew that the only reason Viserys wanted him to marry Rhaenys was so that he could have the legitimacy to marry his own sister, Princess Daenerys. Something both Rhaegar and now Aegon refused to consent.

"Rhaenys is my sister!" Aegon half-heartedly protested, his cheeks already beginning to flush. between members of House Targaryen was generally accepted but he didn't want his councillors and his mother to know that he was already sleeping with his she-devil sister.

"Your Grace, without the dragons, there is no need to continue such a practise." mumbled the elderly Grandmaester. "Your royal father, he knew better, he knew the dangers of inbreeding which is why he forsake such a heathen traditi..."

"The only reason Rhaegar married the Martell girl was because my sister wasn't born by then." Prince Viserys interrupted, earning him the deathstare of Prince Oberyn and Queen Elia.

"Your Grace, if I may interject?" Said the slightly drunk Tyrion Lannister. "After King Rhaegar's coronation he regularly visited his vassals from the Wall to Dorne. This may be the opportunity to visit and meet the lords under your domain and of course, their daughters."

"Very well..." Aegon said cheerfully as he got up from his seat. "I believe this concludes the meeting. My mother will be travelling to Dorne in a fortnight, I will take this opportunity to accompany her and tour my vassals and hopefully meet any prospective queen."

The lords bowed as Aegon left the room deep in his own thoughts. After briefly talking to his brother at the training yard, the young king made his way to his royal bedchambers while going over the list of names a million times over. Apart from the absence of his immediate family the list did contain a few familiar names. His dornish cousin, Arianne Martell, Jon's maternal cousin, Sansa Stark and Margaery Tyrell the daughter of one of his most powerful bannerman. All of them were women of high birth and extraordinary beauty but Aegon longed for someone who was a little closer to home.

Suddenly there was a soft knock on his door and without even waiting for a reply the door opened. Aegon chuckled to himself as he knew that there was only one person in Westeros who could sneak past his kingsguard and be brazen enough to come to his room in the middle of the day for a booty call.

Who is it?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)