More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by aVeryHotApplePie aVeryHotApplePie

Only one question remained. Would he go for the bonus objective?

[IMPORTANT: Info + Navigation] Hub Chapter This Way!

Hey fellas, ApplePie here,
Welcome to the hub chapter for the Gamer CHYOA edition. Here you’ll be able to find your way to the various branches throughout the story and hopefully a few questions will be answered to clear up any confusion if you are new to this story or CHYOA in general.
If you have any further questions, leave them in the comments and I’ll try to answer you there.

Cheers,
and happy reading~

Table of Contents

(Quick search these terms to find the relevant section on this page)
Change log - for a record of updates to this page.
FAQ - will outline how to read this story, what branches you might like, patreon details, etc.
The branches and their authors - lists all the branches, includes a brief blurb of what they're about, and a path from chapter one to each branch.
Where would you like to go? - provides links to each of the branches.

Change log

15/01/24
Added Dino's Patreon link.

08/01/24
Added DocOfRedheads's Patreon link.

29/10/23
Added DocOfRedheads' branch entry and branch link.

11/04/23
Added Xenonach's blurb.

10/04/23
Added Xenonach's branch entry (blurb TBD) and branch link.

16/08/22
Added Dino's branch blurb and branch link.

01/02/22
Added 'on hiatus' to Razorswift's branch.
Added 'on hiatus' to Cliffe's branch.
Added 'on hiatus' to CalamitousIntent's branch.

01/10/21
Removed 'on hiatus' from Lalelilo69's branch.

23/09/21
Added InsignificantItem's Patreon link.
Added ScrapCrow's Patreon link.

24/05/21
Added IWriteWithATalon's Patreon link.

14/05/21
Removed Izix' Patreon link.

13/05/21
Set Tzuf's branch as discontinued.
Removed Tzuf's Patreon link.
Added 'on hiatus' to Lalelilo69's branch.
Added 'on hiatus' to Dargon's branch.

16/03/21
Replaced the patreon link for Little Dragon. He can instead be found on Buy Me A Coffee.

08/10/20
Added ScrapCrow's branch blurb and branch link.

06/10/20
Updated LittleDragon's branch blurb.

12/06/20
Added Akabra's branch blurb and branch link.
Added Little_Dragon's Patreon link to the FAQ section 'Is there any way I can support the story or the authors?'

16/05/20
Set ApplePie's branch as discontinued.
Removed ApplePie's Patreon link.
Removed ApplePie from the list of authors handing out discord links under the section 'How do I get more involved in the community?'

16/04/20
Added 'on hiatus' to ApplePie's branch.

03/04/20
Removed 'discontinued' from Razorswift's branch. He's back!

23/01/20
Added Little_Dragon branch blurb and 'Little_Dragon branch' to the linked chapters.
'Which branch is right for me?' to include Little_Dragon as a plugged 'new' author.
Added a link to Tzuf's Patreon page under the FAQ section 'Is there any way I can support the story or the authors?'
Added a Table of Contents to make it easier to search for sections of this page.

31/10/19
Added a link to Tryxie's patreon page under the FAQ section 'Is there any way I can support the story or the authors?'

24/10/19
Added Tzuf's branch blurb and 'Tzuf branch' to the linked chapters.
Updated FAQ question 'Which branch is right for me?' to include Tzuf as a plugged 'new' authors.
Removed Ivellius, Dadwood, and ByThePowerOfSCIENCE from the 'new' authors list.

12/08/19
Added TryxieMora's branch blurb and 'TryxieMora branch' to the linked chapters.
Updated FAQ question 'Which branch is right for me?' to include Tryxie as a plugged 'new' authors.
Removed Dargon and InsignificantItem from the 'new' authors.
Added Funatic to the list of authors who gives discord links.

19/07/19
Updated the razorswift branch to say it is discontinued.

17/06/19
Updated the MythenOakhier branch to say it is discontinued.

10/06/19
Added ByThePowerOfSCIENCE's branch blurb and 'ByThePowerOfSCIENCE branch' to linked chapters.
Updated FAQ question 'Which branch is right for me?' to include both Dadwood and SCIENCE as plugged 'new' authors.

09/06/19
Added Dadwood's branch blurb 'Dadwood branch' to linked chapters.

04/05/19
Updated the section 'How do I get more involved in the community?'. Myself and Izix are also on server invite duty, now.

15/03/19
Added Ivellius' branch blurb.

11/03/19
Added 'Ivellius branch' to the linked chapters. Added a link to Dargon's Patreon page.

14/01/19
Added questions in FAQ: 'Why are there inconsistencies between branches' and 'How do John's powers work?'

14/01/19
Created the hub chapter

FAQ

Hopefully some things will be cleared up here. If you would like to skip this section and get straight to reading just scroll or ctrl+f down to the heading 'The branches and their authors'.

This story is a mess! How does it work?
First and most importantly, this story features multiple branching storylines (or simply “branches”) written by different authors like myself. Every branch features the same protagonist with divergent power sets, goals, and often entirely different casts to supports him.

As of writing this, there are 16 active branches and one discontinued branch. For this reason, the general quality of the writing varies between author (especially the first few chapters of a branch), but with the assistance of each other and our magnanimous editor, DraMr, we have been able to improve our craft steadily over time. None of us claim to be anything more than amateur writers but several of us wish to continue to write long after our branches end.

How close to the original Gamer Manhwa is this story?
The CHYOA edition only takes the mould of the Gamer Powers, the Abyss, and Gaia. The universe, setting, characters, and plot are all vastly different from the original material. You may also stumble across a few references to the original material, but for the most part we consider ourselves a separate beast from the Manhwa.

How do I get more involved in the community?
We have a discord server! Message Funatic, or Izix asking for an invite and you’ll be provided with a link. Every author is on this server and you are more than welcome to talk with us as well as see reference (and sometimes even commissioned) art for some of the characters in the story. Occasionally the authors will also organise polls on topics such as waifu popularity.

Which branch is right for me?
Every branch will be listed bellow accompanied by a small outline and how to get there so you can see what may tickle you fancy.
In general, however:
If you’re looking for lengthy branches, then our three longest are Funatic, neo_kenka, and TheDespaxas.
Alternatively, Scrap Crow is our fledgling author, so go check out if you'd like a short/fresh version of the Gamer.

Why are there inconsistencies between branches?
To avoid shackling each other with too many rules and lore on various factions and history, we afford each other a fair bit of creative freedom within our own branches. Unfortunately, this means there can be inconsistencies that arise between branches that may cause readers confusion.
For example, when the Order of the Golden Rose is presented as scummy and evil in one branch, that does not mean necessarily that they are like that in every branch.
Another major cause of inconsistency is the ‘Gaia smites you if you show normal people the Abyss’ rule. The degree to which this rule is followed varies between branches to suit the needs of the Author, but it should remain internally consistent at the very least.

How do John’s powers work?
This varies between branches. However, at the core John has two abilities that are fundamental to his power: Gamer’s Body and Gamer’s Spirit.

Gamer’s Body converts real damage into hit points, exactly like what you’d expect to find in a video game. In some branches, serious wounds such as a broken bone may ignore this effect and be treated as real damage, but for the most part John’s condition is handled through Gamer’s Body.

Gamer’s Spirit translates aspects of John’s life into points, skills and quests. For example, he is given a User Interface which allows him to manage his stats, inventory, etc.

Gamer’s Mind is a third ability that exists in the original source material but is not an ability that appears by default in this story. What it essentially does is permanently zen-mode John so that he can calmly deal with stressful situations such as combat. This ability was not translated over by default on the basis that it takes away an important aspect of human emotion and would make it more difficult to connect with John as a protagonist. However, Gamer’s Mind may appear in some branches.

[Plug (feel free to ignore)] Is there any way I can support the story or the authors?
Some authors have chosen to open patreon pages through which you can support them individually. These pages are linked below, so feel free to check them out, otherwise just skip over this shameless plug.

TheDespaxas:
https://www.patreon.com/TheDespaxas?alert=2

Funatic:
https://www.patreon.com/Funatic
https://www.subscribestar.com/funatic

IWriteWithATalon:
https://www.patreon.com/user?u=2381107

Razorswift:
https://streamelements.com/razorswift/tip

Zewes:
https://www.patreon.com/user?u=171572

Cliffe:
https://www.patreon.com/Cliffe

Gunslinger:
https://www.patreon.com/TheWordslinger

Dargon:
https://www.patreon.com/DargonWrites

TryxieMora:
https://www.patreon.com/TryxieMora

Little_Dragon:
https://www.buymeacoffee.com/LittleDragon

ScrapCrow:
https://www.patreon.com/ScrapCrow

InsignificantItem:
https://www.patreon.com/ItemWorks

DocOfRedheads:
https://www.patreon.com/user?u=110334341

Dino
https://www.patreon.com/DinoWritesFantasy

DraMr (Our chief-proofreader):
https://www.patreon.com/DraMr

The branches and their authors

This section will outline each of the branches as well as describe how to reach them for the sake of continuity. Note that you can jump directly to the first chapter of a branch by following the corresponding link at bottom of the page. In general, however, it's best to also read the chapters leading up to a branch in case you miss anything important.

TheDespaxas
In a pure gamer mindset John knows that what you have is often less important than how you use it. Follow this branch to learn how he will trick his way into power and wealth, use his wits to survive, and smooth talk girls from this world and a few others. At heart a trickster of sort, nerdy and pervy, he learns to deal with responsibilities to build a better life for himself and his loved ones.

To find this branch: just continue to select the first option marked with [TheDespaxas] at every branching point.

Funatic
In my branch you will find: FUN, followed by some minor misery followed by more fun. Banter, some politics, lots of fighting gals and a wide, fighting harem sprinkled into one of the higher-fantasy branches (centered all around the Abyssal globe) around, the adventures of an Arcane and Elemental using John.

To find this branch: read chapters 1-2 of [TheDespaxas], then select ‘Crafty [Funatic]’.

neo_kenka
John the Wayfaring Summoner. With portals, minions, and a metaphysical temple of hot bitches in his head, John tries to navigate the Abyssal multiverse as he comes to grips with cross-dimensional tyranny, gray moral dilemmas, and a singular truth: that reality is a dream, and only a madman would wake the sleeper

To find this branch: Read chapters 1-10 of [TheDespaxas], then select ‘A Fae Encounter [neo_kenka]’.

Lalelilo69
Water. Earth. Fire. Air. Is this Avatar: The Last Airbender? No, but it’s super similar because in this branch, John will gain the power of the four elements. Along the way he will meet sexy ladies, summon sexy allies, and battle sexy enemies. But what’s a bunch of sexy without sex? Not this branch, because John will fuck them all (some exclusions may apply).

To find this branch: read chapters 1-2 of [TheDespaxas], then select ‘Hungry [Lalelilo69]’.

Mythen Oakhier [discontinued]
A branch that combines Necromancy and assassin skills, Final Fantasy VII and other games. Watch for the recurring of an antagonist.

To find this branch: Read chapter 1 of [TheDespaxas], then select ‘No Time [Mythen Oakhier]’.

IWriteWithATalon
Hi everybody! I'm IWriteWithATalon, and my branch is focused around John finding true allies in an Abyss filled with war. Given the ability to Purify Abyssal creatures into living beings, will he engage his own flawed world or retreat into a perfected one of his own creation? Only time - and a lot of ridiculous leveling - will tell. Draws inspiration heavily from Hellsing, Disgaea, and a variety of other sources.

To find this branch: read chapters 1-2 of [TheDespaxas], then select ‘Tricky. [IWriteWithATalon]’.

razorswift [on hiatus]
'ello Razorswift here, if you're looking for a branch filled with Viking chicks, video game hijinks, softcore BDSM and weird crafting, then you've come to the right place. Also, I have some nice mystery and a lot of unique ideas for Barriers if you're into that. Storywise it’ll be a mix of mystery and urban fantasy.

To find this branch: Read chapters 1-10 of [TheDespaxas], then select ‘Actually… [Razorswift]’.

zewesman
Tired of all the goodie two shoes mage Johns flinging magic spells at every bad guy? Tired of him always solving other people’s problems for little to no gain for himself? Want a John that kicks ass, takes names, and fucks who he wants? Then this is the branch for you! Featuring the module system, allowing John to be a number of different RPG classes (as well as others) for an exciting time!

To find this branch: read chapters 1-2 of [TheDespaxas], then select ‘Smartly [Zewesman]’.

CalamitousIntent [on hiatus]
Do you like explorations of mental trauma, hideous monsters from beyond reality and the sense of being tossed around like a ball in a park full of dobermans? Then you might find my take on John appealing. Yes, there is also sex too, I promise.

To find this branch: read chapters 1-3 of [TheDespaxas], then select ‘Not Exactly... [Calamitous Intent]’.

Cliffe [on hiatus]
In this branch, John goes down the path of building into his strength stat and using strength based abilities. He learns how to fight in hand to hand (melee) combat and has a tendency to rush headlong into new problems. Lots of domination and submission in this branch. Read through here to find out one of the things that might happen when John starts out without the guidance of a Warden or another Abyssal entity to help him on his path.

To find this branch: Read chapters 1-5 of [TheDespaxas], then select ‘It’s not that much of a surprise really... [Cliffe]’.

aVeryHotApplePie [discontinued]
You’ll find plenty of sword and sorcery in the other branches, and if that’s your thing you’ll find it here too. What there hasn’t been until now is a John equipped with some good old charm. So come right this way if you’re looking for a swashbuckling John built primarily in charisma. The first arc of my branch is inspired heavily by Grimm fairy tales, while the second shifts focus a bit to a more Persona inspired detective mystery. Either way, tune in here for goofs, gaffs, and wolf girls to keep you entertained in this branch!

To find this branch: read chapters 1-2 of [TheDespaxas], then select ‘Crafty [Funatic]’ and read chapters 3-8 of [Funatic], then select ‘Skipping school for the day can’t hurt, can it? [aVeryHotApplePie]’.

Izix
I am Izix, huntmaster, a man of cutes and the lord of python. Do you like bad jokes, archery, pets and derps? Then this is the branch for you. Oh and I have lewds and shortstacks. I even lewd shortstacks now and then.

To find this branch: read chapters 1-2 of [TheDespaxas], then select ‘Creatively [Izix]’.

TheGunslinger
Howdy folks! If you like Classic Rock, Gun-combat and complex romantic relationships then look no further than my branch for a nice mix of all three! Read as John undertakes the long path from being a lonely, unskilled nerd to a fierce, beloved bounty hunter!

To find this branch: Read chapters 1-10 of [TheDespaxas], then select ‘Rumination and Observation [The Gunslinger]’.

Dargon [on hiatus]
Hello everyone, your friendly neighborhood Dargon here. If you enjoy science fiction with some magical elements, then my branch may be for you. Featuring romance, drama, creative bullshittery, and the Mana Conductivity system unique to my branch.
(Remember, 1 like = 1 pat)

To find this branch: Read chapters 1-10 of [TheDespaxas], then select ‘Observations and Experimentation [Dargon]’.

InsignificantItem
What to expect from the Item branch? Slow burn romance, covert ops, magical theory, gritty combat, and friendship amidst a somewhat darker tone. And smut, can't forget the smut. If that sounds interesting, come see a John who struggles to realize what he wants, what is for the best, how to reconcile the two, and what he is willing to pay to do so.

To find this branch: Read chapter 1 of [TheDespaxas], then select ‘Hard Decision [InsignificantItem]’.

TheScyle [discontinued]
This John walks a dark path, beware ye who follow him down it.

To find this branch: Read chapters 1-4 of [TheDespaxas], then select ‘Time to find some answers [TheScyle]’.

Ivellius
Ivellius the Monkey Professor here. Now, you may ask, "How did a monkey become a professor?" Easy, by going places. In this story, my John will not be any different from this. In order to gain knowledge, skills and waifus, he will travel around. You're welcome to join us. Oh, how can I forget? There will be monkeys.

To find this branch: read chapters 1-2 of [TheDespaxas], then select ‘Creatively [Izix] and read chapter 3, then select 'Time to Recollect [Ivellius]'.

Dadwood
Greetings all, if you are the type that enjoys darker themes and the steady corruption of a person's mind, body, and immortal soul, then do I have the branch for you! Fans of the demonic and occult are welcome here as brothers and sisters. And remember, "Power tends to corrupt; absolute power corrupts absolutely." -John Dalberg-Acton

To find this branch: read chapters 1-2 of [TheDespaxas], then select ‘Conservatively [Dadwood]’.

ByThePowerOfSCIENCE
Cheers all. Magic is a testy thing. Certain forms of magic fall in and out of relevancy, with some branches going fully extinct through lack of use or loss on how it was first cast. But then John Newman happened. John Newman, through the power of his mind and experimentation, revives an old branch of magic. One thought to be dead for all time. This leads him down a path of discovery and intrigue, where for each new form of magic he learns he makes new allies and new enemies. Science is a dangerous field of work, and throwing magic into the fray may be too much for our gamer to handle. Updated every Friday!

To find this branch: read chapters 1-2 of [TheDespaxas], then select ‘Crafty. [Funatic]’, followed by ‘History Class [ByThePowerOfSCIENCE]’.

TryxieMora
I know what you're thinking. Yes, this branch is written by a girl.
Follow along if you want to see John take the side of the 'Monsters' in a seedy war that's tearing through the abyss. There's plenty of action, drama, and high quality lewds in the works with some romance and a derp splashed in as well. In this branch, you'll be wondering who the bad guy really is after all...

To find this branch: read chapters 1-2 of [TheDespaxas], then select ‘Creatively [Izix] and read chapters 3-6, then select 'A different kind of cavalry [TryxieMora]'.

Tzuf [discontinued]
Hey, Tzuf here, nice to meet you all. This is my first long form story, so I hope you all enjoy my branch. Why should you read this branch, you may ask? Well, if you are looking for a John determined to understand the mysteries of a foreign universe, explore them, and find the moral truth hiding behind every corner, this is the branch for you. Additionally, you will find plenty of lewds and familiar characters, and hopefully some new ones to fall in love with.

To find this branch: read chapter 1 of [TheDespaxes], then select 'Before he could, some thing made him pause [Tzuf]'.

Little_Dragon
If you like dragons mine is the branch for you. My John is quick to act and often does so without thinking things through, lucky for him my Abyss is a little more forgiving than most other branches though that doesn't mean he is safe to throw caution to the wind entirely. He will also get to explore romance as well as a world that has been forgotten by ours which is full of magic and fantasy creatures who could be friend or foe.

To find this branch: read chapters 1-10 of [TheDespaxes], then select ‘Unpleasant Introduction [Little_Dragon]’.

Akabra
Hi readers, Akabra here. If you enjoy a story with a cool protagonist who solves mysteries and catches criminals, my branch is for you.
The story will follow John's descent into the underbelly of Abyssal society. Enjoy as he goes from wimp to a charismatic private investigator.

To find this branch: read chapters 1-2 of [TheDespaxas], then select 'Cooperatively [Akabra]'.

ScrapCrow
Greetings readers, ScrapCrow here. In this branch of Gamer reality, you’ll find a John with a penchant for finding, and making, a variety of artifacts, weapons, and tools, along with a talent for drawing out their true potential. A handy ability, as there are plenty of relics out in the Abyss with powers that want to be released. And others who want those awakened powers for themselves.

To find this branch: read chapters 1-2 of [TheDespaxas], then select 'Slyly [ScrapCrow]'.

Dino
John awakens to find the Abyss at war. With his own home threatened, John races to develop his powers of Alchemical Transmutation and unite disparate factions to defend what he loves. The Gamer is outmatched, so he better get to leveling! Lots of wholesome lewds, fit girls, and a fun expansion on the party system!

To find this branch: read chapter 1 of [TheDespaxas], then select 'Of "Optional" Objectives [Dino]'.

Xenonach
Grab your white coat and safety goggles, we're going to the lab! In my branch, John will harness the powers of biomancy, classical alchemy and Abyssal medicine in his quest to not only survive but thrive in the Abyss as he tries to make it a better place than he found it. Along the way, he will struggle with plenty of monsters, both literal and figurative, and tangle with issues of morals and ethics in medical science, the price of having principles and how to deal with trauma. But it's not all doom and gloom, along the way there will be time for love, lewds and, last but certainly not least, monster girls.

To find this branch: read chapter 1-2 of [TheDespaxas], then select 'With a Detour [Xenonach]'.

DocOfRedheads
The Doc will see you now, everyone. My take on John is a little out of character for the loveable nerd we've come to know, as he gains a touch of well-warranted rage. He's a berserker, to put it simply. Add a healthy dose of fluff, a penchant for Slice-Of-Life scenes, and an overly strong fondness for dramatic fantasy battle scenes? Well, hopefully, that'll get you a kickass branch, but we'll have to see how it turns out. Hope you all enjoy, and make sure to bring your anxiety prescriptions.

To find this branch: read chapter 1-2 of [TheDespaxas], then select 'Moral [DocOfRedheads]'.

Where would you like to go?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)